Tailbone215

Adapters to turn analog cams into IP?

Is there such a thing? Is it even practical and cost effective? If these things are even made, would there be any improvement in image quality compared to analog cams using coax or balun? Thanks.

it is called a video encoder or video server. They are very cost efficient and provide the same benefit as an IP camera would. The device does use video compression so you may see a slight difference in quality than what you are normally used to. Now with H.264 compression it is hardly noticeable.

its expensive, not worth it IMO unless you are adding it to an existing network setup. Especially when the camera could cost as much as ten times less then the video server, and you can build an entire networked DVR for the same cost as the video server.

But that axis one looks interesting.

I think vivotek is cheaper though?

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?video_server=vs7100

single channel encoder for $299.99

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m7001/index.htm

Thanks all! Lots of great info. I'm weighing the cost benefit of upgrading or replacing cams for an old installation I'm dealing with. It's looking more like replacement as a newer and technologically advanced IP cam should yield better performance than older models. It is good to have options.

axis, pixord, stardot, vivotek, bluenet, even dlink have video encoders. if you can run cat5 to where the camera is you are probably better off just getting ip cams now and future proofing yourself.