rwdozier

CCTV camera connected directly to TV/VCR

If a standard CCTV camera has a BNC connection - can you simply use a 'BNC FEMALE TO RCA MALE ADAPTER' to plug it directly into the rca video input of a TV or VCR for viewing or recording of the video signal from the camera? Someone told me you need some type of 'special' adapter. I can't get my hands on a camera to just try it. Thanks!

yes, depends what cable you are going to use.

If you are using an RCA cable, then use a RCA Female to BNC Male, or if using RG59 coax cable, then like you said.

Either way, the Video input on a TV or VCR will recognize a CCTV camera signal.

One camera connected to the TV is better than nothing. That's how I started several years ago to keep track of cars in a driveway we share with a neighbor. Our cars used to get some suspicious-looking dents; so, rather than go stand out in the driveway every time a car pulls in or out, we just checked the camera.

After I felt more comfortable with having a camera, I added more cameras; then a mux; then a time-lapse VCR... Now I've replaced the mux and VCR with a 16-channel DVR and am adding more cameras.

One tip on your first cam: If you want color, invest in a good day/night camera. That way you have the option to expand to IR illumination should the need arise in the future.

One camera connected to the TV is better than nothing. That's how I started several years ago to keep track of cars in a driveway we share with a neighbor. Our cars used to get some suspicious-looking dents; so, rather than go stand out in the driveway every time a car pulls in or out, we just checked the camera.

After I felt more comfortable with having a camera, I added more cameras; then a mux; then a time-lapse VCR... Now I've replaced the mux and VCR with a 16-channel DVR and am adding more cameras.

One tip on your first cam: If you want color, invest in a good day/night camera. That way you have the option to expand to IR illumination should the need arise in the future.

I agree, for sure, 1 is better than nothing. In fact i only still have 2 here at my appt! Keep selling the ones I bring in for myself ...