jamesd

Running 2 CCTV cameras over 1 cat5 cable using 2 Baluns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 1 spare cat5 cable ran to a garage and it was ran before tarmac was laid so I cannot run a second, i want to put 2 cctv cameras in this garage, I google a wiring diagram for a Balun and came up with the below, it seems 2 wires for video (+,-),2 for audio (+,-)and for power 2 +'s and 2 -'s.

I decided that i would be able to use 1 pair for video for camera 1 , 1 pair for video and camera 2 and then 1 pair for Power for camera 1 and 1 pair for power for camera 2.

So I put a double cat5 box and inserts at both ends of the cable and tested that on both sockets that pins 1 and 2 were straight through and that pins 4 and 7 were straight through so this should give me video and power on both of the cat5 double sockets.

I then connected up my buluns and connected into the 12v 5A psu and confimed i was getting 12v in the garage.

I connect both cameras and they worked fine for 3 weeks and now I am getting vlosss errors on both and the 2nd camera just gave no video for the last 2 days.

Today I powered off everything and reseated all cable and the 2 cameras in the garage are working again.

Any idea's why they would fail? as the 2 other cameras on the house with the standard bnc cabling are always fine.

RJ-45 Jack

Pin Color Function

1 W-O + Video

2 O - Video

3 W-G + Audio

4 BL +Power

5 W-BL + Power

6 G -Audio

7 W-BR -Power

8 BR -Power

Today I powered off everything and reseated all cable and the 2 cameras in the garage are working again.

Any idea's why they would fail?

That could be your key there - a connection could have worked loose through vibration or temperature variations.

It also would probably be a good idea to power the garage cameras from inside the garage, rather than over the thin Cat5 wire - the voltage drop COULD cause issues, especially if the cameras are equipped with the IR LEDs.

hi. jamesd.

i think soundy is spot on with his info..... and its not volts you need to test at camera end its amps. i would also power the cameras from garage if you can. and that way you could add another 2 cameras to your system with your cat5

Actually, it might help to test voltage at the camera end... WITH the IR LEDs on, to see if the voltage drops substantially.

I am after ordering up a psu for the 2 camera s in the garage - I said for the sake of €20 I would order it and have them right.

Hopefully this will sort them - Thanks for your help and I will update you on them if any issues

Shouldn't cost €20 for that... a single 12DVC/1A "wall wart" transformer will suffice, we get them for about CDN$10.

Double check all your connections

Are you using single Baluns?

Also can be the quality of Balun you use, i've tried loads and more than 50% were rubbish and didnt last more than a few months

I'm guessing your in Ireland?

Yes im in ireland too.

I got all my kit from cctvdirect . co . uk so the baluns are from them, they are listed as "Pair of CAT-5 video baluns with power jacks", I also ordered last week from a local supplier a different pair of baluns with power jacks" so I can try those.

To be extra sure i think i will just power the camera s from the garage as there is power beside both of them so its east.

cctv direct stuff normally spot on

like you doing power from local source will always be better

what part of the sunny country are you in? im up on north antrim coast

Down in Galway, I work IT / electronics but have installed 3 of the cctvdirect 4 camera systems for my family so far and mine is the only one that gave trouble

luck of the draw sometimes, i've taken £500 cameras out of the box and they didnt work

Galway nice spot

I've big maintaince deal down that way with your sports shop chain, lot new works to sort out the mess left by last guys but upside is i get to travel the country for 3months plus