elwood

Recommend me a DVR and cameras

My brothers truck was broken into and he is installing a home alarm system and since i'm "electronics and computer inclined", i have the task of finding him a surveillance system.

His budget is probably $600 max. I don't know what kind of quality to expect from this budget but i'm sure something decent could be put together.

Here's his requirements:

Has to have a remote to control the camera viewing and video playback.

Camera's with decent quality.

DVR with decent recording quality.

3-4 camera's.

4-channel DVR with decent video quality recording.

Waterproof camera's to be mounted outside

He has motion activated security lights all around his house so the cameras don't have to have IR LED's but it would be nice.

We have Sams Club's (no Costco's) so he was thinking about getting one of those cheap "Defender" or "Q-See" systems but i figured they weren't that good.

I have advanced knowledge with computers and electronics so i should be able to put together and install anything. There isn't much info online about DIY or home surveillance systems besides this forum and a few others that are sparsely populated.

I was thinking about getting some Sony super HAD camera's and a DVR separately. We are located in the south so it doesn't get below freezing but it can get really hot and very humid.

He plans on connecting the DVR to his TV or possibly buying a stand-alone monitor.

Any suggestions?

Here, here is one for your reference. Please have a check.

4 CH CCTV DVR 1TB HD

H.264 Hardware Compression

Built-in Foldable 7" LCD Monitor

Network and Remote Access

3G Mobile Remote Live! Preview

Color Dome/Outdoor Cameras

PTZ/Alarm/Sensor

1/3" Sharp CCD Image Sensor

Night Vision 420 TV Lines

Just for your reference, see if it can help you a little. Thanks for your time.

Why do you continue to ignore the form rules..... please do not order from them.

We are not deliberately to introduce the products.

But when somebody want to get some recommendations from this forum, why can not introduce one for them?

If I ask for some recommendations, i would like somebody give me some direct advice. I don't know what are you guys thinking of...

Recommendations are just recommendations, and if in need, you can offer...

You help others solve their problems, and you give them some recommendations if asked...Anyway, the recommendations should related to the subject, and can help others deal with their problems, that's OK. That's enough.

We are not deliberately to introduce the products.

But when somebody want to get some recommendations from this forum, why can not introduce one for them?

If I ask for some recommendations, i would like somebody give me some direct advice. I don't know what are you guys thinking of...

Recommendations are just recommendations, and if in need, you can offer...

You help others solve their problems, and you give them some recommendations if asked...Anyway, the recommendations should related to the subject, and can help others deal with their problems, that's OK. That's enough.

I don't profit from my recommendations and I follow the rules like the rest of us.

Here is an idea why dont you buy some advertising space.

all links to online stores are removed as per the forum rules:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3147

Well for full features and still budget you could look at a PC DVR like building a GeoVision system, 4 channel, GV-600-4. Just need a basic Intel PC, anything like a 945 chipset with at least a P4 will do - celleron is pushing it with their latest software. Software comes with the card and you get all the features. Since you mentioned you have PC experience this could be your best bet for that side of it. They sell IR Remotes for them also. Just be sure you use a reputable store as there are many clones out there, software version that comes with it should be up to date (eg. 8.2 / 8.3)

Another option is a 4 channel stand alone, ive used the Avermedia 1304NET in the past, its not as cheap as say the Avtech but it has an IR Remote and the live and remote video quality is much better than the AvTech and others - but it might run you out of the budget. For a real budget there is the AvTech, and there will be other brands in that price range also.

Cameras? Really depends where you will buy these from, if you want to get the DVR and cameras from the same place, then you will need to get what they sell. I would recommend something basic to keep the cost down and since you have motion lighting you wont really need IR. Decent day night cameras with IR will cost you, the cheap ones, which some call Day Night, are just Color IR and wont have a IR cut filter, so the color will be washed out. Definately make sure whatever camera it is, CCD, Sony, 1/3", lens around 4mm. Look for CNB for Day Night IR bullets, Color and Day Night Domes, etc, KT&C for the basic color bullets.

First decide on the DVR as that will determine what money you will have left for the cameras, wire, power supplies, connectors etc. Oh yes, best to get a distributed FUSED power supply if you can. Thats a single box which powers all the cameras, each output is fused. A cheap one for cheap cameras is fine, heck myself I just use at my home a 2Amp plug in transformer and have my 4 bullets spliced into that, hey it works and its cheap - 1 power supply goes though, all cameras go down. If doing for a client I wont recommend this though, i go individually fused unless they REALLY cant afford it.

Cable, RG59 Siamese is best but whatever you can afford. Coax keep at least 1' away from high voltage, thinner cat5 (with baluns) or all in one RCA cables keep least 2' away.

thats all i got right now.

Sorry I cant suggest a retailer as per the rules but you could check out the advertisers, or a member could PM you regarding this topic if they are so inclined.

if you find something you like, and want to post it here so we can check it out, please post the manufacturer info or text only instead of the store link, thanks.

Rory

Well for full features and still budget you could look at a PC DVR like building a GeoVision system, 4 channel, GV-600-4. Just need a basic Intel PC, anything like a 945 chipset with at least a P4 will do - celleron is pushing it with their latest software. Software comes with the card and you get all the features. Since you mentioned you have PC experience this could be your best bet for that side of it. They sell IR Remotes for them also. Just be sure you use a reputable store as there are many clones out there, software version that comes with it should be up to date (eg. 8.2 / 8.3)

Another option is a 4 channel stand alone, ive used the Avermedia 1304NET in the past, its not as cheap as say the Avtech but it has an IR Remote and the live and remote video quality is much better than the AvTech and others - but it might run you out of the budget. For a real budget there is the AvTech, and there will be other brands in that price range also.

Cameras? Really depends where you will buy these from, if you want to get the DVR and cameras from the same place, then you will need to get what they sell. I would recommend something basic to keep the cost down and since you have motion lighting you wont really need IR. Decent day night cameras with IR will cost you, the cheap ones, which some call Day Night, are just Color IR and wont have a IR cut filter, so the color will be washed out. Definately make sure whatever camera it is, CCD, Sony, 1/3", lens around 4mm. Look for CNB for Day Night IR bullets, Color and Day Night Domes, etc, KT&C for the basic color bullets.

First decide on the DVR as that will determine what money you will have left for the cameras, wire, power supplies, connectors etc. Oh yes, best to get a distributed FUSED power supply if you can. Thats a single box which powers all the cameras, each output is fused. A cheap one for cheap cameras is fine, heck myself I just use at my home a 2Amp plug in transformer and have my 4 bullets spliced into that, hey it works and its cheap - 1 power supply goes though, all cameras go down. If doing for a client I wont recommend this though, i go individually fused unless they REALLY cant afford it.

Cable, RG59 Siamese is best but whatever you can afford. Coax keep at least 1' away from high voltage, thinner cat5 (with baluns) or all in one RCA cables keep least 2' away.

thats all i got right now.

Sorry I cant suggest a retailer as per the rules but you could check out the advertisers, or a member could PM you regarding this topic if they are so inclined.

if you find something you like, and want to post it here so we can check it out, please post the manufacturer info or text only instead of the store link, thanks.

Rory

I'm having a hard time finding the Avermedia 1304NET for sell in the US. Could you PM me?

I'm having a hard time finding the Avermedia 1304NET for sell in the US. Could you PM me?

its the SATA version now, so would be EB1304NET-SATA.

BTW I mentioned GeoVision as thats what I know, but there are other good DVR cards as well.

Rory