thewireguys

atom vs via c7

Anything from Microsoft will torture it, but the real test would be Mac.

There is PC Mark

http://www.futuremark.com/products/pcmark05/

thats just one of them ..

On the Eee i would just goto youtube and watch flash .. if its going to be an issue the movies would freeze alot .. at least stutter .. even Visualizations on Windows Media player can cause issues on those.

everything is working great!!!

Keep in mind this box is for recording not viewing but I wounder how the Atom with the Nvidia chip-set would do with live viewing. Any thoughts?

Since I am giving all this free info out on the box if you are looking at with this setup please contact me so I can get you setup with the software.

Edited by Guest

Anything from Microsoft will torture it, but the real test would be Mac.

There is PC Mark

http://www.futuremark.com/products/pcmark05/

thats just one of them ..

On the Eee i would just goto youtube and watch flash .. if its going to be an issue the movies would freeze alot .. at least stutter .. even Visualizations on Windows Media player can cause issues on those.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalMark/index-e.html

CrystalMark is another decent benchmark utility which also includes video tests.

And, it's free!

the video might be better on that. the intel ones, least the celeron and atom netbooks, certain graphics like flash and visualizations can stutter sometimes, especially HD.

It came with sp3 installed. But you have way more knowalge then I do with windows so any pointers you might have I would like to take a look at them.?

I dont know how much you know of the following so i'll just post it all.

Reg Tweaks:

You can right click "edit" to see what is being changed. Generally performance based tweaks, note SHARING is being disabled in this reg file, if you want to leave that feature find that section in there and just comment it out, then run it once you are ready.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=etwks2.0.reg

Services Tweak:

I normally just enable the Firewall and Audio, sometimes Themes. Ofcourse Printing will not work if Print Spooler is not enabled so check that also if you need it. Networking section applies to file sharing and remote desktop stuff.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/utilities/eservicesxp.asp

Manual Tweaks:

-Control Panel, System, Hardware, Hardware Profiles, Select the first profile listed if I dont select a profile in ... 0 seconds.

-Control Panel, System, Hardware, Driver Signing, Ignore.

-Control Panel, System, Hardware, Windows Update, Never Search.

-Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Visual Effects, Adjust for best performance.

-Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, Time to Display list of Operating Systems, 3 seconds

-Control Panel, System, Advanced, Error Reporting, Disable

-Control Panel, System, Remote, Uncheck both

-Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates, Turn Off

-Control Panel, System, System Restore, Turn Off

-Control Panel, Display, Theme, Windows Classic

-Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Background, None

-Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Color, Black

-Control Panel, Display, Screen Saver, None

-My Computer, Right Click System Drive C:, Uncheck Indexing, Ignore.

(you can turn the XP theme back on now if needed, it will still use the higher performance, less graphics)

OTHER:

-Defrag

-Most startup items can be removed from Windows start up also,

just run MsConfig, Startup, and uncheck everything - if you have Tweakui installed leave that.

-If using an AV you will need to leave that as well.

Scanners and/or All in one printers will need to stay on start up.

-I disable the welcome screen and use tweakui's login page to set the default user to login (or you can do it using regedit)

MISC:

-If QOS and Server service (for File Sharing) is disabled then uninstall QOS and File Sharing from TCP/IP properties to get rid of Server and Perf event log errors.

-Disable additional hardware startup drivers/services for faster boot. (eg. in regedit and services you can set to disabled or actually delete services such as the floppy, CD (if you never use one), Parallel Port, Serial Ports, etc - the service names vary and can be located in the boot log file you can create by checking that option in MSConfig)

-I also disable Shell Hardware Detection and sometimes Windows Firewall.

-Disable Themes for slightly faster response.

-Use TCP/IP port filtering for added security (disable all but add the TCP/UDP ports)

It came with sp3 installed. But you have way more knowalge then I do with windows so any pointers you might have I would like to take a look at them.?

I dont know how much you know of the following so i'll just post it all.

Reg Tweaks:

You can right click "edit" to see what is being changed. Generally performance based tweaks, note SHARING is being disabled in this reg file, if you want to leave that feature find that section in there and just comment it out, then run it once you are ready.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=etwks2.0.reg

Services Tweak:

I normally just enable the Firewall and Audio, sometimes Themes. Ofcourse Printing will not work if Print Spooler is not enabled so check that also if you need it. Networking section applies to file sharing and remote desktop stuff.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/utilities/eservicesxp.asp

Manual Tweaks:

-Control Panel, System, Hardware, Hardware Profiles, Select the first profile listed if I dont select a profile in ... 0 seconds.

-Control Panel, System, Hardware, Driver Signing, Ignore.

-Control Panel, System, Hardware, Windows Update, Never Search.

-Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Visual Effects, Adjust for best performance.

-Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, Time to Display list of Operating Systems, 3 seconds

-Control Panel, System, Advanced, Error Reporting, Disable

-Control Panel, System, Remote, Uncheck both

-Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates, Turn Off

-Control Panel, System, System Restore, Turn Off

-Control Panel, Display, Theme, Windows Classic

-Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Background, None

-Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Color, Black

-Control Panel, Display, Screen Saver, None

-My Computer, Right Click System Drive C:, Uncheck Indexing, Ignore.

(you can turn the XP theme back on now if needed, it will still use the higher performance, less graphics)

OTHER:

-Defrag

-Most startup items can be removed from Windows start up also,

just run MsConfig, Startup, and uncheck everything - if you have Tweakui installed leave that.

-If using an AV you will need to leave that as well.

Scanners and/or All in one printers will need to stay on start up.

-I disable the welcome screen and use tweakui's login page to set the default user to login (or you can do it using regedit)

MISC:

-If QOS and Server service (for File Sharing) is disabled then uninstall QOS and File Sharing from TCP/IP properties to get rid of Server and Perf event log errors.

-Disable additional hardware startup drivers/services for faster boot. (eg. in regedit and services you can set to disabled or actually delete services such as the floppy, CD (if you never use one), Parallel Port, Serial Ports, etc - the service names vary and can be located in the boot log file you can create by checking that option in MSConfig)

-I also disable Shell Hardware Detection and sometimes Windows Firewall.

-Disable Themes for slightly faster response.

-Use TCP/IP port filtering for added security (disable all but add the TCP/UDP ports)

Thanks Rory.....

Question.... The system is fast enough but I want reliability and security..... any recommendations for that.

Also if I get this box tested and working reliably is there a way to image the HD to use for the next system I build with the same specs? It would save a lot of time if I didn't have to install the OS, drivers, updates and software for every system. I guess I am thinking about a VM machine that I could getting running the way I want then take a snap shot and install it on the new boxes as needed. Overisly I would need to does this as cost effective as possible.

Thanks Rory.....

Question.... The system is fast enough but I want reliability and security..... any recommendations for that.

Also if I get this box tested and working reliably is there a way to image the HD to use for the next system I build with the same specs? It would save a lot of time if I didn't have to install the OS, drivers, updates and software for every system. I guess I am thinking about a VM machine that I could getting running the way I want then take a snap shot and install it on the new boxes as needed. Overisly I would need to does this as cost effective as possible.

Yes, I have something called USB disk tools on my site, you can also make a DVD/CD using the same technique but in that case it is geared towards an SD Card or USB jump drive. Basically I use a program called Drive SnapShot to Image the drive, its a 30 day trial, but the restore works forever. Image the drive in Windows then restore from USB/SD/CD/DVD in like 5 minutes.

As for security, that depends on the system and what the server software needs, the stripped down install Nlite would help to start with, also disabling all the services not required (thats where removing them pre install is better) helps. TCP/IP port filtering helps alot also.

Also if I get this box tested and working reliably is there a way to image the HD to use for the next system I build with the same specs? It would save a lot of time if I didn't have to install the OS, drivers, updates and software for every system. I guess I am thinking about a VM machine that I could getting running the way I want then take a snap shot and install it on the new boxes as needed. Overisly I would need to does this as cost effective as possible

I use Norton Ghost or Acronis True image software. You can even make a boot cd/dvd that has the ghost software with your image on it to give the customer a way to get things back to the way it was when you shipped it to them. Norton Ghost also lets you hook up a bunch of pc's and push the image to all of them at once. This way you can increase production by hooking multiple pcs to a switch and sending the image across the network.

update.

9 cameras on the box now.

Av3155 h.264

Av3130 mjpeg

ACti 1231 mpeg-4

acti 7411 mpeg-4

Axis 233d mpeg-4

Axis 211 mpeg-4

axis p3301 h.264

Axis q4701 h.264

Axis 241Q meg-4

All cameras at max fame rates

I have 6 more cameras 6 more IP cameras to add but I don't think that will be a problem.

This setup should easily handle 30 megapixel IP cameras.

Edited by Guest

update.

9 cameras on the box now.

Av3155 h.264

Av3130 mjpeg

ACti 1231 mpeg-4

acti 7411 mpeg-4

Axis 233d mpeg-4

Axis 211 mpeg-4

axis p3301 h.264

Axis q4701 h.264

Axis 241Q meg-4

All cameras at max fame rates

With the client software closed on the Atom box one core ranges between 9-13% the rest are at 0% and 216MB of ram used.

I have 6 more cameras 6 more IP cameras to add but I don't think that will be a problem.

This setup should easily handle 30 megapixel IP cameras.

You may want to check playback to see if you are really getting that frame rate through to the disc, I think with the way Exacq works, you may hit the disk write speed limit and/or Ethernet limit before you max out CPU load...

The first time I tried Exacq, I did not think it was recording, from looking at the CPU load.. Until I looked at disk read/writes.

This is very encouraging news. I'm glad the ATOM processors can handle the constant flow of data from network to HDD.

That link you posted earlier to logicsupply.com had some great systems on there, about to purchase 2 of them myself:

SolidLogic Atom S145 Mini-ITX System

- Mainboard:

Intel D945GCLF2D Dual Core Atom Little Falls 2 (No S-Video)

- Case:

AOpen S145 Mini-ITX Case with ATX PSU - Black

- Daughterboards:

None

- Memory:

DDR2 667 RAM 2GB

- HDD Standard & Flash:

None

- CD/DVD Drive:

Panasonic SATA Slot-loading CD/DVD Writer (UJ-875-A) w/ Cable

- Operating System:

Windows XP Pro (requires hard disk)

- Build and Test:

None

- Warranty:

1 Year Warranty (Standard)

I already purchased WD Black 1TB drives to go in these units. The whole system came in right around $550.00 (each).

This is very encouraging news. I'm glad the ATOM processors can handle the constant flow of data from network to HDD.

That link you posted earlier to logicsupply.com had some great systems on there, about to purchase 2 of them myself:

SolidLogic Atom S145 Mini-ITX System

- Mainboard:

Intel D945GCLF2D Dual Core Atom Little Falls 2 (No S-Video)

- Case:

AOpen S145 Mini-ITX Case with ATX PSU - Black

- Daughterboards:

None

- Memory:

DDR2 667 RAM 2GB

- HDD Standard & Flash:

None

- CD/DVD Drive:

Panasonic SATA Slot-loading CD/DVD Writer (UJ-875-A) w/ Cable

- Operating System:

Windows XP Pro (requires hard disk)

- Build and Test:

None

- Warranty:

1 Year Warranty (Standard)

I already purchased WD Black 1TB drives to go in these units. The whole system came in right around $550.00 (each).

Talked to them on the phone and they know what they are doing. Are going to have them built it and have them test it for you?

Make sure your getting the 330 Atom and 2 gigs of ram is over kill. My system hasn't used more then 300MB

Edited by Guest