Tomislav

Mobile DVR

Dear gentleman,

I have one project and would like you opinion.

I need to set up one vehicle (large one) with mobile DVR (2 channel) , PTZ with night vision (940nM).

Do you know any mobile DVR that support PTZ protocol?

Is there a mobile DVR that powers the cameras?

Does the DVR has internal battery? and when the power is low you can replace it with full battery?

Hope you can help out on this one.

Thanks a lot,

Tomislav

The are tons of mobile DVRs 12volt with say 4channels available

A PTZ camera with 940nm maybe extreme CCTV gear fits the bill there oops i mean "bosch."

You could also get one of those SD card style mini DVR`s also tho the frame rate and RES I cant comment on. I have seen some that do d1 and higher.

I would also be looking a an IP camera setup then you can remote control everything. the PTZ and have high res.

my 2c

ah a large one that might be 24volt?.

Anyway Mobile DVRs are 12volt so you can use a separate car battery and use that to power the cams.

A simple switch box could add the fresh battery while you take the flat one out. -also there are 'automatic circuits' for this at most auto stores.

4x4 and Campers use then also.

A "battery isolator" is what you're looking for there, sold mostly for campers and trailers... allows you to run two separate batteries for the car and the camper (or DVR) systems, mainly so the camper draw doesn't drain the battery you need to start the car, yet still allows the alternator to charge both.

So there is no DVR with integrated battery. Strange...I thought that somebody will think about that....

Basically I will have a vehicle which will be up out for 8-10 hours, I can tell them that they need to run the car all time, but in case they will be in one spot for 2-3 hours with engine switch off then it is a problem.

So there is no DVR with integrated battery. Strange...I thought that somebody will think about that....

Sure there are... but a small battery in a small recorder will only last so long. I've used a small unit with internal HDD, battery, and 4" LCD... works great, but the battery will last for MAYBE two hours' recording, if the LCD is off. It's a simple equation of battery time vs. size - the more time you want out of it, the bigger it has to be, no way around it. It doesn't take long until you hit the point of diminishing returns, where the size of the battery hampers the portability.

Basically I will have a vehicle which will be up out for 8-10 hours, I can tell them that they need to run the car all time, but in case they will be in one spot for 2-3 hours with engine switch off then it is a problem.

Not at all. A car battery should run a small unit for days. If you use a separate high-capacity deep-cycle battery with an isolator, as described above, you could probably run the thing for a couple weeks and still be able to start the car.

You will need a deep cycle marine battery to power the DVR if you plan to use the system for a long time. Car batteries do not respond well to constant charging and discharging. I built something similar to what you are looking for this summer using an EB1304NET SATA DVR instead of the 1304 MOB. It cost me a fair bit for all of the hardware but it works flawlessly.

Sure there are... but a small battery in a small recorder will only last so long. I've used a small unit with internal HDD, battery, and 4" LCD... works great, but the battery will last for MAYBE two hours' recording, if the LCD is off. It's a simple equation of battery time vs. size - the more time you want out of it, the bigger it has to be, no way around it. It doesn't take long until you hit the point of diminishing returns, where the size of the battery hampers the portability.

Not at all. A car battery should run a small unit for days. If you use a separate high-capacity deep-cycle battery with an isolator, as described above, you could probably run the thing for a couple weeks and still be able to start the car.

Ok, this changes things, let me try one of this options.... only now I have to find battery and the isolator.

A boat supply warehouse will have everything you need, from the deep-cycle marine batteries (Optima is good) to the battery isolator/charger. I build my "Trojan Horse" vehicles for law enforcement with two deep-cycle batteries on an isolator. The two batteries will run an EverFocus DVR and four cameras almost a month without re-charge (plus there is still enough "juice" to jump-start your regular battery if that dies).

I build my "Trojan Horse" vehicles for law enforcement....

Hey, slight topic shift... there was a news item locally today, it's the seventh anniversary of our "Bait Car" program here in BC... widely regarded as the largest and most effective program of its kind in North America (according to the news copy, anyway).

Some classic videos to be had too: www.baitcar.com

"The Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) is serving notice that we are turning up the heat on car thieves with the introduction of new ‘Bait Car Live’ technology in all of our Bait Cars. ‘Bait Car Live’ now provides for live audio and video feed which is viewed in real time by the police dispatcher. The dispatcher will immediately be able to tell the police over the radio how many occupants there are, their descriptions, whether they have any weapons and what other crimes they are talking about."

My "Trojan Horse" vehicles are used for surveillance. Plain-looking vehicles, loaded with cameras/DVR's as needed for the assignment. Park them at the target location, click the "record" button and walk away. Vehicle can watch a location pretty much indefinitely. Agent recovers the vehicle and reviews the video to determine activity, patterns, traffic, etc.

Hey, slight topic shift... there was a news item locally today, it's the seventh anniversary of our "Bait Car" program here in BC... widely regarded as the largest and most effective program of its kind in North America (according to the news copy, anyway).

Some classic videos to be had too: www.baitcar.com

"The Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) is serving notice that we are turning up the heat on car thieves with the introduction of new ‘Bait Car Live’ technology in all of our Bait Cars. ‘Bait Car Live’ now provides for live audio and video feed which is viewed in real time by the police dispatcher. The dispatcher will immediately be able to tell the police over the radio how many occupants there are, their descriptions, whether they have any weapons and what other crimes they are talking about."

if only our cops here would get off their butts and do some work .. we cant get them to do the basic things like booking people that run red lights .. let alone a task like that

My "Trojan Horse" vehicles are used for surveillance. Plain-looking vehicles, loaded with cameras/DVR's as needed for the assignment. Park them at the target location, click the "record" button and walk away. Vehicle can watch a location pretty much indefinitely. Agent recovers the vehicle and reviews the video to determine activity, patterns, traffic, etc.

What happens when the battery runs out?

Two deep-cycle batteries with a solar charger attached? They ain't running out anytime soon. They are isolated from the starting battery and are sometimes used to jump-start the vehicle if it has been sitting too long.

Ahhh, nice... mobile camera platforms, cool.