eyecu

Dedicated Micros

Im new to the board.I find it very helpful. I will be starting a business soon. I do have a question I am mostly old school meaning Time lapse VCR, Now DVR's seem to be the thing. I do not have much experience with them. I do own a Dedicated Micros, Digital4,160GB new in the box. I am thinking of replacing my time lapse with it. Are any of you familiar with Dedicated Micros and if so is this one a decent DVR? I have had it a couple of years,just never hooked it up. Again what a great site!

Dedicated Micros have been around for a long time, just that I personally don't like their stuff.

Im switching one out on an install right now. They dont come close to the Kalatel units as far as embedded stand alones go. Perhaps their most expensive unit is better .. the ones I have used are the Digital Sprite 2. Cant stand them, and a 6 channel version is more than the Kalatel 10 channel version and close to the price of their 16 channel.

They do not even show the one I have on their website. I gave away my VPON I also never used, now I'm thinking I gave the wrong one away. Do you think the Dedicated Micros is good enough for the home.... it was free?

Yeah for sure, it is still a good brand, Email them and ask them for a Firmware Upgrade, if they have one.

Also, Wipe/format the hard drive. Reset everything to default.

Then see how it performs.

DM is still a good embedded brand, I just dont like the menu, network software, and features, as much as the Kalatel units, and more so, the price in the US it is much more $$$ for a lesser unit. Plus they are slower display modes.

Other than that, you kept the right DVR

Its considered a High end Embedded RTOS DVR.

This is the small 4 channe DVR right?? If it is the one Im thinking of, its cute and does the job, I worked on one once a year ago.

Rory

Is there a website for the Kalatel units you talked about and would you suggest them or not. You also said that I should wipe/format the hardrive,how do I do that?

the 4 channel GE StoreSafe is a good unit to buy if you want a 4 channel, the 10 and 16 channel units are kind of high priced. Im looking at the Bosch 9 and 16 channel Divar2 w/ DVD now for my high end, and the Hunt HVR-08EP and the Hunt HVR-16QP for my mid range 8 and 16 channels. They are basically the same board made by Web Gate inc. but Bosch has added more features and custom software. The Kalatel 4 ch Store Safe is stil a great unti to just plug and play and leave it ..

as for where to buy send me a PM / email ..

To wipe the drive you will need to look in the menu programming, for something like Disk maintenance. Erase/Wipe Disk.

Rory

Don't let anybody tell you different - DM digital recorders are some of the best in the business. Dedicated Micros has grown from a small company just 5 years ago, to one of the largest manufacturers of DVR's in the industry. However, Dedicated Micros is heavily distribution based and their integration type support lacks that of GE (Kalatel). When dealing with the new generation of CCTV which involves more complex products, the installer needs to have the adequate support from the manufacturer. That is why we see dozens of no-name companies go in-and-out of business every year. The lack of support AFTER the sale is what digs the graves of the "no-name" companies. Whatver DVR you choose to use, make sure they can support their products in any scenario AFTER the sale. This is one of the main differences between the small "no-name" companies and some one like Pelco, Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo, and Deicated Micros

One of the primary DVR's I support is the Sanyo DSR-3000 series. The price is almost $1,000 less then DM or Kalatel and the warranty covers everything including any shipping costs to and from (overnight) their facility if anything goes wrong. If I have an installation where a DVR goes bad, I can get an immediate advanced replacement and the local rep will even come out to the install and assist if needed. Their tech support is excellent and the unit is very reliable. I have had one unit with a bad hard drive in over 37 digital installs.

I found the DM's to be very cartoonish in design. It is also a pain in the butt to find features in setup, initially-once I called tech support, it was simple. I have a few in some coca cola plants (it's what they wanted). We are slowly replacing original Kal's.