Tailbone215

What brand/size UPS are you recommending to your customers?

Hopefully, if any for the DVR and power supply. I'm presently using APC. Do you find most customers receptive to the benefit and added expense of the UPS? Do you find commercial customers more receptive than residential?

I always install a UPS with every system I install. I got tired of lockups from time to time because of inconsistant power issues.

For me it's pretty much non-negotiable for both residential and commercial. A 350VA UPS is inexpensive and meets the needs of most small installs. A larger install will require 550VA and I've gone higher than that all depending on the size of install.

It really makes no sense for most embedded DVRs, for the Windows file systems it can though so you can shut it down properly. But then I rarely ever use them now cause there are other problems I have had with them where they wont even come back on occasion and occasionally is enough to be a problem. Our power goes off like mad here BTW. Ive had the problem with both APC and Triplite. When a DVR doesnt come back on after a power outage thats a big problem, especially when its connected to a UPS. It varied from year to year so it wasnt just a bad batch, it is just how it is.

The most important thing is to use a Voltage Regulator, UPS battery back up is a secondary option especially since most power outages here last longer than 1 hour. Most APC units over 550VA come with AVR built in, the smaller units normally do not or never use to. But locally the UPS is around $100 more than the Voltage Regulator. So basically most will get the voltage regulator if anything (and if they want their equipment to last).

It really makes no sense for most embedded DVRs, for the Windows file systems it can though so you can shut it down properly. But then I rarely ever use them now cause there are other problems I have had with them where they wont even come back on occasion and occasionally is enough to be a problem.

Interesting! Thanks for the comments all. I would have thought the added benefit of a UPS, besides the ones mentioned, would be the added security of keeping the cams and DVR running during a power failure. We've had a string of power meters being pulled prior to break-ins in a few of our local communities.

Interesting! Thanks for the comments all. I would have thought the added benefit of a UPS, besides the ones mentioned, would be the added security of keeping the cams and DVR running during a power failure. We've had a string of power meters being pulled prior to break-ins in a few of our local communities.

The average UPS only gives you 15 minutes if you are lucky.

If thats whats happening there though in your case it might help.

Dont forget my note on them not restarting properly though, which will effect you no matter where ever you live, even if only once in a blue moon, it could be a full moon night and then you wont get ANY video because it wont come back on. I live in a place where the power goes off every other day, so we are well experienced in that side of it, and we live with constant brownouts. Most important thing to protect your products is a Voltage Regulator.

Edited by Guest

Most power outages around here last two, three minutes tops... if it's more than that, it can be hours or days. In these cases a basic 650-850VA SOHO UPS easily keeps things running through most outages. We've used APC, TrippLite, and most recently found some screamin' deals on really nice Belkin models at Costo.

All work pretty much the same... the main thing I try to look for is a battery format that we can easily replace from our wholesaler. I have one that I had to go retail to replace a battery (12VDC, 7Ah) and it cost $35... the same capacity battery from ADI/Burtek is about $11, but none of theirs would fit the one particular UPS.

Hopefully, if any for the DVR and power supply. I'm presently using APC. Do you find most customers receptive to the benefit and added expense of the UPS? Do you find commercial customers more receptive than residential?

Depending what you intend to connect, most of the time 350VA UPS will do.. However, if you want to add other components or lets say in a commercial location they have multiple DVRs... then you can go as high as the requirement may be... plust at least 20% overhead on your calculations...

I know 1500VA UPS system are very common going to most commercial locations... APC is great, but much more expansive than Tripp Lite...

Here is a decent model from Trip Lite - SMART1500LCD that does a very good job for multiple components connections... Just have to make sure to connect it to all the DVRs, so that any power outage will allow your systems to shut down normally (it comes with its own software, serial or Ethernet connection), so pick the right unit and run with it... Cost is almost half for similar units from APC...

Just installed a APC BE750G with a Exacq desktop server with a NETGEAR FS726TP and 6 IP cameras hooked up. The cameras will run and record for 25-30 minutes after the power goes out and everything fires back up when the power comes backup.

What ups would i need to power 8ir camera dvr system for 30min?

8 channel DVR system with a 650 lasts approx 15 minutes.

Probably try aim for a 1000.

have you considered solar?

Seriously though a consumer grade UPS is not a fail safe.

One of our restaurant customers puts BIG-ASS UPSes in their new sites and run ALL their electronic systems off of them - computers as well as the back end of their A/V systems... their flagship store that we did last year has two of them that are about the size of a medium-sized fridge.

One of our restaurant customers puts BIG-ASS UPSes in their new sites and run ALL their electronic systems off of them - computers as well as the back end of their A/V systems... their flagship store that we did last year has two of them that are about the size of a medium-sized fridge.

Hardly consumer UPS.

Solar is cheaper.

Problem with either is if they are on the grid they stand the chance of failure from brown outs and other issues, least in most other countries. With the solar its run off the grid. I have a client that spent $50,000 on line conditioning equipment from USA which handled her entire estate (huge mansion etc) and it was busted in a few months, cost her another $10,000 to send it back and have it fixed only for it to fry again. They claimed it was the best in the US .. go figure they dont have the type of electricity we have here. LOL.

Either way, using the consumer APC and Triplight, when you have say 10 customers whose Security systems did not power back up due to the UPS power output not activating .. let me know if you will still use that stuff. Oh yeah and in most cases the Generators came on within a few minutes.

Either way, using the consumer APC and Triplight, when you have say 10 customers whose Security systems did not power back up due to the UPS power output not activating .. let me know if you will still use that stuff. Oh yeah and in most cases the Generators came on within a few minutes.

Interesting. I've been using APC Smart-UPS in the IT field for years and haven't had that problem in such a high magnitude. Most, if not all, small consumer grade UPS units are designed simply for giving the computer user time to shut down their workstation so they don't have their work trashed. If you exceed the manufacturer's specified run-time this will happen. I know the APC units power back up, even with a totally dead battery, when power is restored.

I think it comes down to realistic expectations. If you know a UPS is going to give 15-30 minutes of power, you know you have that window to take appropriate action. If your outage exceeds that and you're not around to shut off your equipment, should it need it, it will go down. Some equipment will come back up on its own when power is restored.

I've opted to switch out my APC Smart-UPS 1400 to a APC Smart-UPS 700XL on the security equipment for the added run-time. The 1400 contains two 12v 18Ah batteries, so does the 700XL. As configured the 700XL give better run-time than the 1400 for the load I have. Plus, it has provisions for external battery packs, which I have for extended run-time, which is important for me. Now it is hours instead of minutes.