markpow

H.264 DVR from wolfcom

I'm in the market for a new DVR and I want to go with H.264 compression. I found what looks to be a good deal from a US company on eBay that is called Wolfcom Enterprises.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390096862979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The DVR also comes with a 500 GB HDD and all for $225. Has anyone ever dealt with wolfcom and their products and are they anygood? According to the feedback on ebay, people who bought this particular DVR have been leaving positive feedback and it looks like this DVR has good features according to the video they posted up.

If not wolfcom, can someone suggest another DVR with similar features and cost? I will be using it to record on 1-2 cameras. motion detection and H.264

AVTECH like a lot of makers will brand machines up with whatever name you wish if you buy a large quantity from them

Digi guard is prime example, also made by AVTECH

If not wolfcom, can someone suggest another DVR with similar features and cost? I will be using it to record on 1-2 cameras. motion detection and H.264

AVTech has my vote! (Is my vote impartial)?

OK! Here is my research. I do not have all of the facts, but this is my impression, and I will have to find the "facts" that back up my statement.

I believe that the hard drives in Asian Wolf's 4 channel DVR is a refurbished hard drive.

I do not have a problem with this as long as it is mentioned in the advertising. You get what you pay for. How was it, and by who was it refurbished? If I wanted to save a few bucks then a refurb is ok in that category.

If "security is of the essence" then one would have to take this in to reconsideration.

For the money I would say it is a "buy".

WARNING!

The AVC 792 is not a true 100% H.264 DVR!

It is an MPEG4 DVR with an H.264 WEB SERVER providing the internet connection.

I love AVTech Equipment, and I will sing their praises, but I have to be honest about the equipment when it is needed.

I just now found about the AVC 792 myself.

Interesting.

It appears that AVTech is going 100% H.264, but there are many small "H.264 issues" that they are working through. Once all of the engineering is complete then all AVTech DVRs will be H.264 with H.264 Web Server.

Question:

H.264? Does this work similiar to JPEG in regard to sending a snapshot in an email?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Edited by Guest

hi all in the uk it is known as the appolo. and it is well over priced. you can only back-up 1 camera at a time. h264 on cif. use d1 and it used to lockup. notice they never showed a demo of mobile (cellphone) working. that was also a problem.

i would look at

avermedia eb 1304 net or like guys on here have said take a look also at the AVtech.

let them carry on selling paintballs . i dont think you will get back-up from ebay sales

In response to scorpion, What do you mean not 100% h.264? so what your saying is that it saves onto its hard drive as MPEG4 and not as h.264? I don't understand. And are you talking about the AVC792 or the AVC791, the one on eBay that I wanted to purchase?

I am speaking of the AVC 791

This is what I am trying to track down. The paper work says H.264 compression.

I have not bought one personally, but some of my research seems to suggest otherwise.

I do not know quite for sure what is going on.

Perhaps the first shipment of the 791 had an MPEG compression.

I need to find out if it is H.264 in CIF, and MPEG in Frame, or vice versa.

It may be that the units now have full H.264 compression, and H.264 web servers.

I may be talking out my butt. I will dig in to this more tomorrow.

ok, thanks scorpion, let me know anything you find about this DVR, i'll delaying buying it for now. And if I do end up buying it, is there a way to check if it is saving in H.264 compression onto the hard drive when I physically have it?

I would say go ahead, and buy it. I believe it is recording in H.264.

The very first demo may have not been ready for the market, and was for "show".