jonnbinky

Frustrated with cheap stuff!

For my residence i have two areas with constant light and everything else is motion.My concern with just doing two color cams is what if the power goes out,then i lose all light until it comes back which means no usable picture,which is where the ir would come into play.Am i correct in thinking this?

For my residence i have two areas with constant light and everything else is motion.My concern with just doing two color cams is what if the power goes out,then i lose all light until it comes back which means no usable picture,which is where the ir would come into play.Am i correct in thinking this?

Yeah camera wont work without power though.

So you would need to put it all on a UPS if you go that route but still might not last the average power outage .. 1 - 2 hours outages around here. Power goes off so much UPS dont even come back on sometimes

Edited by Guest

Yeah used alot of them over the years and they work well.

I prefer the CNB though. Non of these are great against strong lighting though such as a big dusk to dawn in a car park.

Do you have any 2760 footage?

No, only used it on one job, lasted so far, been over a year now, I was there a couple weeks ago and its still going strong - well the version that this one replaced. Actually had a couple images from back then, will try see if I can find them.

Comments???

What kind of comments are you looking for?

they look like rebadged OEM, even the big name brands do this alot these days. Its one of their cheapest cameras so dont expect too much from it.

Sure, the quality doesnt look great there, but remember thats compressed for the network. Many DVRs will have bad quality on the remote video. How is the local video? What type of monitor are you looking at it on? There are alot of factors involved. I wouldnt write the cameras off just yet.

Cheap DVRs arent that cheap anymore, many are terrible quality though. I have 2 units here, an old AvTech and a new one, the old one actually has slightly better video out quality, the new one has a ton more network features and slightly better quality over the network. Something like the Avermeda EB1304 blows it away in quality, but again the 1304 also has issues such as it shares the quality settings between the recording and the network and it has no motion masking. I used GE DVRs for years, expensive and no real features.

There are some new players out there but there is also still alot of marketing hype.

Rory, thanks for your input. The local video sux too, I am using an old flatscreen PC monitor, about 15 or 17 inch. The cables are the ones that have bnc and power adapter plug in the same cable. Night time viewing is fairly useless. Even on both daytime and night, I have trouble making out the shape/make of vehicles from 20 feet away. I will try an upload a night pic too...

Hi, when I say local monitor I mean the one connected directly to the DVR. You cant judge anything by the video over the network. You need to check the cameras directly.

http://www.cctvfootage.com/image/vitek-250MB-w-GE-480-line-IR--2/theater#theater_title

after using printscreen, and this site, the image is slightly more degraded, but you get the idea...

In the price range you are dealing with it appears that the pictures are normal.

You will see black and white where you are using Infra Red illumination.

The red background is the light source. It is a source of illumination and there fore the camera does not need the IR in that part of the scene as it is illumnated by the natural lighting.

What is that swing? 4 feet wide? How big is the area within the swing area?

If it is 6 feet from the wall with the window to the opposite wall, and it is 6 feet wide then from where the camera is located then I will guess you are about 10 ~ to the picket fence. If you said 12 feet from the fence to the camera then I would not be surprised.

I see the space between the picket fence. What is the problem that you see with this camera? Following the fence down the line you cannot see the detail between the pickets, and the spacing.

This is more a problem with the lens selection, and you have quality issues based more on lens selection then camera selection.

Who was the designer of this system, and why did they pick this lens setting? If they were to put the right lens to provide better detail what would that designer pick to replace this lens?

The IR illumination appears to have a hot spot, but the walls, and ceiling help dissipate the IR, and create better overall illumination.

A CCTV designer can improve this view with a different IR setup.

What is the IR throw of this camera?

In regards to the side street in the camera 4 position is also the wrong lens for viewing the truck for protection.

Why did the designer pick this lens? Is this a 2.8mm lens?

See the curvature at the top of the screen. This is a sign of a super wide angle screen. Make a little change to a wider view, and you are going to have a fish eye lens.

Wide angle cameras were designed for one thing, and that is for right peripheral, and left peripheral viewing, and nothing else. In a 10 X 10 room you cannot see the whole room. The wide angle camera gives you a great view of the room. You do not care about distance issues as you are limited by the walls.

I would go back to your system designer, and ask for your money back.

I suppose you could have them design the system correctly, and this may remedy a few of the issues.

What do you think.

Those are some nice clear nighttime camera views!Do those two cameras stay in color due to the amount of exterior lighting?

Ok here is video from the cheap color bullet, 380TVL, second hand I literally got this from the dumpster for free, and it didnt even have a mount so I made one using the clips for plastic blinds and a couple small chips of wood .. hey its my apartment not a client Im ordering the high resolution color bullet so will post those videos when I get it installed. I just needed something up there working again as the last one got wrecked from rain (ok yeah I left it open for 3 months LOL).

BTW this is captured using a Diamond USB TV Capture Stick. And yes that USB thing works on the 7" Eee PC also. It is actually the video out from an AvTech 4 channel DVR. Ill try and get the raw video bypassing the DVR and replace that here tomorrow. 50MB video.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mw0edigjo35/596avtech.avi

or just stream it on cctvfootage (low quality)

http://www.cctvfootage.com/video/Color-Bullet-and-AvTech-DVR

HOWDY

In the price range you are dealing with it appears that the pictures are normal.

OK

You will see black and white where you are using Infra Red illumination.

OK

The red background is the light source. It is a source of illumination and there fore the camera does not need the IR in that part of the scene as it is illumnated by the natural lighting.

OK

What is that swing? 4 feet wide? How big is the area within the swing area?

If it is 6 feet from the wall with the window to the opposite wall, and it is 6 feet wide then from where the camera is located then I will guess you are about 10 ~ to the picket fence. If you said 12 feet from the fence to the camera then I would not be surprised.

Swing is about 5 feet wide I think. The cam is up in a corner, area of the swing is about 6x7 ft. If the camera had a laser in the middle, it would hit the white fence about 12 feet away. Good eye.

I see the space between the picket fence. What is the problem that you see with this camera? Following the fence down the line you cannot see the detail between the pickets, and the spacing.

The problem is I don't know if I would be able to make out any usable information with this system. There isn't much point in having it if something happens and I can't make out a person or car. Although the DVR does have motion masking/alarm options.

This is more a problem with the lens selection, and you have quality issues based more on lens selection then camera selection.

I don't think I can change lenses. These are

GE TVD-TIR-MR

TruVision Dome IR Mid-Res Camera, 480 TVL Color, 3.5–8.0 mm Varifocal Lens, 65.6 ft./20 m IR Range, 12VDC only

Who was the designer of this system, and why did they pick this lens setting? If they were to put the right lens to provide better detail what would that designer pick to replace this lens?

I was the 'designer', and I'm a noob, obviously. I have experience running voice and data cabling, but no camera experience.

The IR illumination appears to have a hot spot, but the walls, and ceiling help dissipate the IR, and create better overall illumination.

Point taken.

A CCTV designer can improve this view with a different IR setup.

Agreed.

What is the IR throw of this camera?

Mfgr says 65 feet.

In regards to the side street in the camera 4 position is also the wrong lens for viewing the truck for protection.

OK.

Why did the designer pick this lens? Is this a 2.8mm lens?

See above.

See the curvature at the top of the screen. This is a sign of a super wide angle screen. Make a little change to a wider view, and you are going to have a fish eye lens.

OK.

Wide angle cameras were designed for one thing, and that is for right peripheral, and left peripheral viewing, and nothing else. In a 10 X 10 room you cannot see the whole room. The wide angle camera gives you a great view of the room. You do not care about distance issues as you are limited by the walls.

These are varifocal, but I haven't messed w the settigns yet.

I suppose you could have them design the system correctly, and this may remedy a few of the issues.

I will talk to myself, lol. Have you listed all the specifics I need when I go back to my 'designer'?

THANKS!

[/b]

LOL!

I will talk to myself, lol. Have you listed all the specifics I need when I go back to my 'designer'?

I guess I shot my self in the foot with this one!!

EERRRRRR!

Ok! How do I back peddle my way out of this situation?

I apologize!

You have VARIFOCAL LENSES? Yahoo! Great job on vari focal selection!

You are way ahead of the pack. The reason is this.

You can set those cameras with a setting that matches the view needed. Down the road when a new "emergency" comes up that we did not anticipate then you can reorient the camera, and change the lens setting to match your new view. When this emergency is over you can reorient the camera back where it was, and set the lens back to the original setting.

This makes your video surveillance system more flexible. In other words you do not have to go and buy another camera to resolve every new situation that pops up!

Great job!

Read the manual for the camera. If it has Zoom, and focus, then great. If it has a third setting then be very careful with the setup.

Try various settings, and let the DVR record. You can fast forward, and rewind to compare the different settings to see which you really like the best.

One trick. If you like it more to the wide angle setting then put the camera in full zoom, and point the camera at what is important, and then pull the video back to wide angle. This way if you want to catch a different view then you can zoom in with out having to move the camera.

6mm is a "neutral" lens setting. It does not have the distance distortion. It does not have the left, and right peripheral gain. The higher the number the more it is zoomed in.

2.8mm is fish eye.

The IR distance is a real long throw. Having the wide angle lens setting does not let the camera work best with the IR. It would be best to have the camera at full zoom, and to use it looking at the truck instead of the swing.

Is it possible to swap the two cameras?

In other words you need to find a short throw IR that throws wide instead of deep for the front porch.

The truck needs an IR that has a long throw, and a second IR illuminator that can bounce off of something to reflect the IR, and disperse it in a more even lighting effect.

http://scorpiontheater.com/irlab.aspx

What do you think?

No problem at all.

You weren't TOO rough on me!

The cameras have screw adjustments for focus and zoom. I didn't see a third.

You asked-Is it possible to swap the two cameras?

They are identical.

You said--The truck needs an IR that has a long throw, and a second IR illuminator that can bounce off of something to reflect the IR, and disperse it in a more even lighting effect.

I'm wondering if there are tricks you can do with opening up the clear cover and 're-aiming' the IRs???

Thanks!