mx185sw

Storesafe Pro II firmware issue

I have a GE Storesafe Pro II, 10 channel and just completed a firmware upgrade to 6.32 from 6.17. The upgrade process appeared to go correctly but i am left with two bugs.. 1) the IP address got changed to 3.112.55.10 from what i had it set to (192.168.x.x) and i no longer have access to the DVR via browser or wave viewer. I have atttempted to set router to proper setting to allow access to the 3.112.55.10 but no luck. Also when i attempt to access the installer menu to reset network info i discovered that the number buttons 6-10 no longer work, so i am not able to type in the installer password to access the various menus.

I call to GE was made and they indicated i needed to have the distributer that i bought unit from call them and they can help access the unit. prob is the distributor is no longer in business. the Storesafe unit has worked great since purchased in 2006.. but now with this firmware update issue i dont know how to correct it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to access this unit to correct my problems? either set it to defaults or actually get into the menu structure?

thank you in advance.

mx

This makes no sense... If you did the firmware upgrade, you had to run a utility from your local computer via your network to the StoreSafe. For this combo to work flawlessly, you had to assign internal IP address for StoreSafe, run your utility from your local computer and have it point to such IP... otherwise, you can not upgrade the firmware...

This should not be difficult to change... get your manual and obtain the admin password... get into StoreSafe to the network section and change the IP address to whatever you want.. do not have the manual on front of me, but it is very simple...

Do you have the manual? If not, here it is... http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.11620ebca5cc0a06574efe10140041ca/?vgnextoid=2d09cabfcd6a9110VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD#

Good luck!

have to agree on not making sence.. but the unit was working and connected to network just fine and had been for years. I went to change DST since i noticed it was off and realized i could not change it without the firmware upgrade. So i went ahead and did the upgrade via a browser window into the ip/index.ssi the updgrade went as expected and then then prompted me that the device would reboot to complete the change. THis is where it went bad. The browser did not auto refreash and reconnect after the reboot so i walk to the unit and saw that it was up. A quick check to see what the IP was and thats when i noticed the change. At that point i attempted to access the installer menu with the admin password and realized that the lower 5 numbers would not work (6-10) so i could not enter the install menu. Without being able to access installer menu, i cannot change or default the IP setting. The operator password works since it does not relay on the number buttons for entry.

I did more research and i think i grabbed the wrong firmware (16 channel instead of 10 channel)... and that is the root cause of my problem.. or so i hope.

Interesting....

What is your DVR Uploader version by any chance? The one that I have is for all DVMRe, DSR and SymDec models... and I think there is a different uploader available for SDVR series (at least about a year ago)...

I hope you did not use the wrong uploader... which erases the firmware and writes what you gave - GIGO effect...

There should be a hardware reset to factory default... If I read your comments correctly, can you access the installer mode or not? One of the screens allows you to reset the firmware to factory default...

There must be another way... to reset the system to its original factory settings besides screen shot you see... Give GE a call and see if they will tell you how to do it... I can check it with few people here as well...

Thank you for trying to help out...

as for the uploader, not sure about that, but via the operators menu (which is the ONLY menu i can access) the boot code is ver 1.03 and the software version is 6.32.

I have contacted GE but since i bought the unit though a distributor and that distributor is out of business, i am kinda stuck. In the call with GE they seemed to indicate there was a way to correct this but they would not tell me directly. To answer your other question, i cannot access the installer menu due to the password needing to be entered using the lower row of buttons (6-10) and they dont work at this time. my hope is that there is another master password that can be entered that only requires the use of buttons 1-5. or maybe there is a hardware reset somewhere inside the box that i can access. I will be trying to access the unit via Hyperterminal and RS232 tonight. if that works i will pass on the info, if not i am open to any ideas anyone has. THank you again for the help!!!

mx

Hi,

I have been following this thread as I own a vista VC10te2-CDR which is basically a rebadged GE unit (or is it vise versa?). Anyway, maybe someday I might need to change the HDD or similar.

Recently I have managed to upgrade a DM4 from 80GB to 300GB with latest firmware, basically following the advise from the experts on here. Maybe that technique used on the DM would work here. Check the sticky section for DM4 hard disc change & see if the ideas there can work for you.

Now this might be a totally different situation & I am not a cctv pro, so feel free to pass on this advise.

If you are stuck with no way forward then maybe its worth a try. It involves opening up the DVR, disconnecting the hard drives cables, connecting to your PC via usb. See what is on the drives, save a copy of the firmware to your PC drive (except video files). In my case I had a brand new drive & had to format to FAT32, but I suppose you would just need to delete files. Then download the required firmware, unzip & copy to the primary drive. Remove PC cables, reconnect & boot up.

WARNING - this is not a recommended method for GE DVR's, only a personal suggestion for more research along these lines to be used only as a last & final resort once all other avenues have been followed.

just an update... attempted to hyperterm into the unit via RS232 with no luck. I have not opened the case yet and pulled hard drive out hoping that there is an option around that.

thank you again for those that are offering help and ideas..

The best I can gather from our technical people and also from GE directly, if the firmware has been damaged, there is no reset of it on the motherboard.

The correct firmware uploader info and the firmware should have these...

Uploader: http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.11620ebca5cc0a06574efe10140041ca/?vgnextoid=2d09cabfcd6a9110VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD#

StoreSafe II 10 channel firmware: http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.11620ebca5cc0a06574efe10140041ca/?vgnextoid=2d09cabfcd6a9110VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD#

One of the engineers at GE recommended to take the onboard battery from the motherboard, wait for 10 minutes and plug it back in.. but what he was concerned was the version of the motherboard.. Newer motherboards apparently came with this option, but older ones did not have them.

will give the cmos battery a try. there is one on my motherboard of the DVR. IN the meantime.. the utility that you provided a link to.. the DVR uploader.... what does that utility actually do? I upgraded the firmware via a browser into the machine. Is the uploader a diff way to update the firmware?

thank you again.

Well i have run out of options... i have pulled the cmos battery out and left it out, i have attempted to see if i can read the drives on the off chance i could edit a key file to help resolve the issue but no luck. At this point i have reassembled the unit and reconnected it...

I will give GE another call to see if they can help out with any final thoughts..from that i guess i will need to send this unit somewhere to get it flashed (prob back to GE).

Once i speak to GE i will update this again with what ever it took to finally fix issue. THank you again for all the help and input.

mx

Well i have run out of options... i have pulled the cmos battery out and left it out, i have attempted to see if i can read the drives on the off chance i could edit a key file to help resolve the issue but no luck. At this point i have reassembled the unit and reconnected it...

I will give GE another call to see if they can help out with any final thoughts..from that i guess i will need to send this unit somewhere to get it flashed (prob back to GE).

Once i speak to GE i will update this again with what ever it took to finally fix issue. THank you again for all the help and input.

mx

Just make sure to use their Uploader and the correct firmware next time... wish there was a different way we could have reseted the firmware...

Good luck and let us know the outcome.