Mnorman

42 Megapixel card Limitation

So two software upgrades ago I saw a funny little limitation note pop up that had me worried a bit for future system expansion. Starting with the software version 7.5 and now with Aver's new 7.7 version the limitations lines saying 42 megapixel in total per system...

I sent a forum question copied below with the Avermedia response from USA:

Mother Board Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Mother Board Chipset P45

CPU & Speed Intel Q9550 2.83GHZ

System Memory Corsair 4GB (4x1gb) 8500C5D

Video Card EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR

Sound Card Onboard

System Type Desktop PC

Operating System Windows XP Professional

Product NV6480 Express x2 (32 Channels)

Problem/Symptom Other

Have you visited our FAQ site? Yes

If yes, but... The answer isn't there.

" This Question's Message

Your message on Sat, 31st Oct 2009 4:54 pm

I am inquiring about the 42MP limitation that is in the last two software upgrade release notes. Seeing as I have two NV6480EXP cards, which are working as advertised, I am worried that the 42MP limitation will become a problem in the future for our college campus. We currently have a total of 8 IP cameras, 7 of which are 1MP-5MP totalling 13MP. We have future plans to purchase at least 7 more 5.0MP cameras, which will bring the total over the 42MP limitation that you state.

My question is why the limitation exists, especially for systems that can hold 32 channels? Even if we had only one DVR card at 16 channels, we would not be able to have each channel with 5.0MP cameras on them with the limitation.

My second question is, when might we expect a software fix/upgrade to use more than 42MP?

By the way, you can add the system's motherboard, ram, video card and cpu to the list of things that work with your NV6480EXP cards in tandem. We have had no problems with any of the hardware being compatible.

Thank you for your attention to these questions.

Message by danl on Mon, 2nd Nov 2009 10:01 am

Dear Customer,

At this time we are requesting that our R&D help us in putting together a hardware sheet of different hardware they test so we can post it on our website. Please be patient until this information is created for us.

As for the limitation on the total number of Megapixel, I have not heard if it is possible for us to go over 42MP at this time. From what they are telling us is that that is the max the card will be able to handle at this time.

The best way in your case is to use 2 systems and use our CM3000 software to monitor the 2 systems. That will be the ideal and easiest way to have more than 42MP at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

--

--

*NOTE* Please do not reply to this email as it will not be answered. Please

login to the website to submit replies or requests.

Regards,

Customer Care

AVerMedia USA "

I currently have a followup question for Danl asking if the limitation is card specific, then it should be possible to assign any cameras in excess of the 42 megapixels on the first 16 channels (#1 NV6480EXP) to the second set of 16 channels (#2 NV6480EXP) without having the drop the second card into another box and deal with another (different) managing software like the proposed CM3000.

Stay tuned

I am inquiring about the 42MP limitation that is in the last two software upgrade release notes. Seeing as I have two NV6480EXP cards, which are working as advertised, I am worried that the 42MP limitation will become a problem in the future for our college campus. We currently have a total of 8 IP cameras, 7 of which are 1MP-5MP totalling 13MP. We have future plans to purchase at least 7 more 5.0MP cameras, which will bring the total over the 42MP limitation that you state.

Did u check that u can't export video clip bigger then 1920x1080

meaning why even bother with 5 MP camera

let me know plz if u have the same situations

Yes I knew that the output resolution of the IQ755 camera would be bottlenecked by the software before purchasing. The rationale was that for our campus the endpoint cameras be the best Megapixel quality that we could afford at the time. This was justified by our campus knowing that in the future we would most likely upgrade to a different software that would be purchased and most likely require annual license fees.

Currently we are able to capture and export 1920x1200 images and video, which is more than enough for our needs at this time. We also coupled that resolution ability with 8-80MM lenses for nice tight shots if we need to retask any of the cameras.

Seeing as the resolution supported is a function of the software, and the fact that Avermedia is continuing to expand and recode the software with the changing market trends to megapixel technology; it stands to reason that in the future they will update the software with 5-8MP resolution support. In fact, after the latest IP camera support patch, our IQeye 755 live camera views seem to have gone up a tad since we can now see the time index on the bottom left of the screen, where we could not before the patch.

Aver really needs to address both problems... Why they would make software to limit what your CPU is capable is beyond me... I could only undertand if it was to throttle down what their hardware is capable of but the capture card is irrelevant to recording IP cameras.

Ok heard back from Aver again regarding tandem cards in one system. They say that 2 6480EXP cards, or any other cards in tandem totalling 32 channels act like SLI video cards do and the system sees the cards as one. This simply means that 42 megapixels is the extreme max as they state, but they still have not told me what happens if you exceed that.

I agree Avermedia should state the limitation in something other than software release notes, like in the friggin manual would be nice. At least something telling a would be buyer of the limitation.

Ok heard back from Aver again regarding tandem cards in one system. They say that 2 6480EXP cards, or any other cards in tandem totalling 32 channels act like SLI video cards do and the system sees the cards as one. This simply means that 42 megapixels is the extreme max as they state, but they still have not told me what happens if you exceed that.

I agree Avermedia should state the limitation in something other than software release notes, like in the friggin manual would be nice. At least something telling a would be buyer of the limitation.

Avermedia should be honored for being open about this!

There are many DVR manufactures that dont tell what the max is on their systems. They may say support from Q-CIF to QXGA resolution! And then they say: We support up to 30/25 frames a second, and they also may say: We support 64 cameras or 256 cameras and so on!

What they dont say is what you get if you setup up a system with 64 cameras running 30FPS in QXGA resolution, because then you get a system crash!

It is all about maths!

JD