volito

looking to upgrade my system !

Nice cobwebs on camera 1 .I think you would do better if you just upgraded your analog cams to all varifocal lense cams with atleast 540tvl.

Remember, one of the benefits of IP is that you don't have to home-run every camera. If, say, all four cameras are on one side of the third floor of the house, and the DVR is on the opposite side of the basement, you can put a switch on the third floor, connect all the cameras to that, then just drop a single cable to the basement for the DVR.

Can't you do the same thing with analog cams by using a UTP transciever? Camera all plug into one transceiver,RJ45 from one transceiver to the other,than coax from that transceiver into dvr.

For up to four cameras, sure. What you're talking about is basically just four baluns in one box, using all four pairs of a single UTP. Beyond that though, you'd need another UTP drop to the DVR. And you're still technically home-running all your signals.

Can't you do the same thing with analog cams by using a UTP transciever? Camera all plug into one transceiver,RJ45 from one transceiver to the other,than coax from that transceiver into dvr.

Sure, we could do it with GE Kalatel Multiplexers 10 years ago - just not cheap. It was the old matrix stuff, you could link hundreds of matrixes and muxes and up to thousands of feet. Eg. 1 mux to another mux with 1 UTP Cable. Was beyond anything I actually had to do though.

Um first try, just switch all lenses to 3.6mm or 4.3 mm ...

get rid of sun shields or at least move them right back so they dont block the picture.

The IR is not even really being used there so you could even disable that if you were so inclined to (if the camera allows it).

Other than that, the camera is mounted very high and you loose alot of FOV.

Get more light in the picture if you can, but without it pointing right at the camera.

They do look dirty and or out of focus, that amount of street lighting it should be bright and much crisper, ofcourse could just be a crappy camera, those were KT&C cheaper models I think.

http://www.nymetrofishing.com/cctv/cctv.htm

here goes some pics at night hope this works!

"notice pic on bottom with person running - pretty useless cannot get a face or nothing...

I would love to cover this whole area with the three angles shown in pic. Would be great to see what type of car is passing possibly get a plate at right angle

see whose in car also

See peoples faces walking by and possibility see what is even in there hands.

don't even know if this is all possible ! that's why i am here to learn about this so I don't waste more money !

Lets put it this way, without alot more money you wont get exactly what you say you want above .. bad placement for cameras to begin with, least for what you say you want to do. Also check local laws to see if that is even okay what you want to do. I can see wanting to see who comes on your property but walking down the street is normally a no no.

Otherwise, a couple Panasonic Box cameras with about a 5-50mm lens zoomed in, placed on each corner of your building at an angle, should cover the walkway ... then a couple more, perhaps the Panaosonic Domes, lower down, angled to cover the door and driveway areas. Actually you could save a couple hundred $$ if you just used True Day Night box cameras from a cheaper brand like CNB though the image might not be as good. You COULD try and find a 5-50mm True Day Night bullet, that should do it also (but its not WDR and not Panasonic).

Still, alot more money than those 3 B/W bullet cameras which btw are older models and not their best BW bullets (they arent even exview), and no you probably wont catch what is in their hands and probably not the licence plate at night. Sounds like you want Megapixel, price goes up there. Well, maybe check the acti cameras, throw up alot of lights though.

Bottom line is, what is your budget?

With that, then others might be able to give you a better direction.

more I read the more confused !

OK lets put budget at 2k for now ! Can go up a few hundred if need be...

Basically I needed this system a few times and it didn't produce results. If I can put a system that does what I want then budget is not a problem. I just don't want to spend 3k and not get a face when I need it !

Ok definitely decided on IP and going to start to get that cat5 running in place soon. Also been looking at some test video of an ACM 3511 looks impressive but hear its not good at night. Is there anywhere to look at sample video for top grade cameras. I am going to need bullet type as they are easier to mount in my situation. "are bullet and dome equal or is there a difference".

Also any recommendations in same price range as the ACM 3511 with equal night shots?

Also would love to test how much zoom they can get before it starts to

pixelate. Say for example in camera one would I be able to zoom into street and get some detail...

As for street view I already had a few detectives in my home and they didn't say anything about the placement of cams.

thanks again for all the replies

Good choice going IP...

I think to capture the detail you were looking for it would mean getting higher end analog cameras and adding lots of them.

Check out the AV5155DN. It's a 5mp camera giving you optimal facial and license plate recognition. I know you wouldn't be disappointed. Only 2 of these bad boys and you'd probably capture the detail your looking for... You'll need an IR flood to accompany the cameras though...

I recently tested the ACM 3511 that you mentioned... Great camera for the price, but the internal IRs I think are this camera's weak point. This isn't uncommon for cameras with integrated IRs. It handled much better with an external IR flood and for that, you might as well get the 3511's equivalent, without IR: 3411.

Also note that for your application, neither would probably be ideal even with an external IR flood. They are indoor only domes, not weatherproof.

Good choice going IP...

I think to capture the detail you were looking for it would mean getting higher end analog cameras and adding lots of them.

Check out the AV5155DN. It's a 5mp camera giving you optimal facial and license plate recognition. I know you wouldn't be disappointed. Only 2 of these bad boys and you'd probably capture the detail your looking for... You'll need an IR flood to accompany the cameras though...

Been looking at the av5155dn and they look awesome. One question from this site [edit by mod-store link removed] the samples they have are actual snapshots of the live video and actually get a zoom that great without pixelating or is that a live cam and zooming. basically I would like to know if the cam can record at that distance then when you go back to review it gets a great zoom like that.

Is there any other cams with equal quality for say 5 to 6 hundred ?

I know what you mean about Arecont's still and video samples... Their not realistic camera angles. Most look like they're mounted on the hood of a car... who does that?? Yes the stills and video are from their cameras, but they don't specify which model. They just say "here's a 3mp example" or here's a "5mp sample".

Does any one have realistic and similar FOV setup with the AV5155?

If not, let me get a hold of my supplier and maybe I can have them setup a demo for you from their office on Monday... I may even order one of these myself for the simple fact I NEED sample footage in order to sell them. I've had a few clients in the past that probably would have pulled the trigger if I only had decent quality samples....

To answer your question, no I don't believe there is a cheaper 5mp solution. The only cheaper comparable solution I'm aware of is getting a "box camera" and a weather proof enclosure. But, by the time you buy a weatherproof housing and a lens you'd probably only save a hundred (US) dollars. Plus you would end up with HUGE gody looking cameras. Arecont really has the market cornered on quality outdoor 5mp domes. Maybe MegapixelMan knows different?? I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.

cool would love to see sample of the camera also. I don't understand why nobody has good sample of top cameras available. I would just love to test them and just purchase. why is it that you have to purchase set up then test

sorry guys for so many questions but drooping 2 to 3 grand and not getting results would be horrible.

I seen on that website "above post" that cam was set up say 100 to 200 hundred feet away. Then it looks like when your viewing recording you can take a still and get a GREAT zoom of a face or plate number_ is this possible?

Also my home network consist of PC's and does some heavy traffic occasionally would the IP cams on my network cause a bottleneck_say two of the top cams listed above?

Thanks again all for your help and sorry for so many ?'s

cool would love to see sample of the camera also. I don't understand why nobody has good sample of top cameras available. I would just love to test them and just purchase. why is it that you have to purchase set up then test

I have a couple side-by-side samples of IQEye cameras with neighboring analog cams...

sorry guys for so many questions but drooping 2 to 3 grand and not getting results would be horrible.

I think everyone here feels your pain on that one!

I seen on that website "above post" that cam was set up say 100 to 200 hundred feet away. Then it looks like when your viewing recording you can take a still and get a GREAT zoom of a face or plate number_ is this possible?

Doing that depends mainly on the angle of view. Even a 5MP camera won't give you enough detail to pull a plate number at 200', if you're running a 2.8mm lens with a 90-degree FOV. Zooming in on an area 50' wide at 200' away, however, should give plenty clear facial or plate shots. Everything is a balancing act.

Also my home network consist of PC's and does some heavy traffic occasionally would the IP cams on my network cause a bottleneck_say two of the top cams listed above?

What sort of "heavy traffic" are you talking about? If you're running a lot of torrents or something, then yeah, you're likely to see a hit from the camera streams. If your PC's network cards and your home switch all support QoS, you can shape your available bandwidth to control that...

Thanks again all for your help and sorry for so many ?'s

This a image from the AV5135DN it is the box style version of the camera you are looking at.

112794_1.jpg

I know what you mean about Arecont's still and video samples... Their not realistic camera angles. Most look like they're mounted on the hood of a car... who does that?? Yes the stills and video are from their cameras, but they don't specify which model. They just say "here's a 3mp example" or here's a "5mp sample".

Does any one have realistic and similar FOV setup with the AV5155?

If not, let me get a hold of my supplier and maybe I can have them setup a demo for you from their office on Monday... I may even order one of these myself for the simple fact I NEED sample footage in order to sell them. I've had a few clients in the past that probably would have pulled the trigger if I only had decent quality samples....

To answer your question, no I don't believe there is a cheaper 5mp solution. The only cheaper comparable solution I'm aware of is getting a "box camera" and a weather proof enclosure. But, by the time you buy a weatherproof housing and a lens you'd probably only save a hundred (US) dollars. Plus you would end up with HUGE gody looking cameras. Arecont really has the market cornered on quality outdoor 5mp domes. Maybe MegapixelMan knows different?? I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.

IQI

Starddot

Arecont

Avigilon

Are the only 5MP camera manufactures that I know of.

Sanyo has a line of 4MP cameras.

Also it is cheaper to get the dome version of Arecont cameras then it is to get the camera, lens, and housing.

Edited by Guest

Check these tools out:

http://www.arecontvision.com/sales-tools.html

Bandwidth/ storage calculators. Also pixel density calculators that will help you figure out how to get the results you want. Like facial recognition or plate ID.

Question though... have you thought about what type of software you'll be using to record? Will you still utilize your old analog cameras, maybe else where around the house? If you plan on recording both analog cameras and these new IP cameras you will need whats commonly known as a "hybrid" solution. These are usually bundled with a analog capture card and recording software capable of recording IP cameras simultaneously. The only problem is that most of these systems are very picky about the type of CPUs they will work in...

Or if you want to record just your new IP cameras, then this will just be a simple recording software. LuxRiot seems to have a broad range of IP camera support, including the 5155 and it's fairly inexpensive.

If your planning on just recording the IP cams, then running just the LuxRiot software should be fine on your existing PC. You will definitely need to add hard drive space though. Whatever you have I guarantee is not enough. Megapixel cameras eat storage like candy... Check out the storage calculator on the above link

^^Focus seems a little soft in that 5135 pic...

Yea..... it's up on a pole so can't do much about it now till he adds more cameras and I have the lift again.

It is really hard to focus the camera with your laptop in your hand on the lift. You need to be in a dark room so you can see the image really well.

^^Focus seems a little soft in that 5135 pic...

Yea..... it's up on a pole so can't do much about it now till he adds more cameras and I have the lift again.

It is really hard to focus the camera with your laptop in your hand on the lift. You need to be in a dark room so you can see the image really well.

You could have borrowed Death's gown and played covered wagon with the laptop!

Agree on the focus in pic - say I needed to zoom on the boy scout troop truck, the little rectangle emblem far left it would not show and I seen IP 5MP able to achieve this. I would love the FOV of the pic above and be able to grab the little things on a zoom.

As for using old cams and hybrid haven't got that far yet but would be nice to leave in place and use.

Still debating on cameras first and also running new lines or using Ethernet over coaxial. I seen one that has a 4 port POE to one coaxial line.

Also have geo vision software on a pent 4 but pretty sure I would have to upgrade PC or look into a separate DVR. I actually been studying all day and researching different setups and technology. Just a lot to take in via a couple of days.

Just check QOS I guess all NIC cards are default enabled but guess what router doesn't have option. I guess I can throttle trafics other ways.

After all this studying I might be able to get a job in the field lol

thanks again for all your time and help "Great people and site this is"

Ok back to research

Also budget just got raised a bit to 3G's "wifee is loving the quality I been showing her and the capabilities it could have" but i still will love to see live shots so I can get past the cameras and move on to next step..

Agree on the focus in pic - say I needed to zoom on the boy scout troop truck, the little rectangle emblem far left it would not show and I seen IP 5MP able to achieve this. I would love the FOV of the pic above and be able to grab the little things on a zoom.

Any 5MP camera does not have the pixel density to see the emblem on that truck with the FOV that is setup.

I found something really handy for when I have to use a laptop or service monitor on a lift: http://www.amazon.com/Automobile-Car-Dashboard-Non-Slip-Mat/dp/B000P910W8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1257618224&sr=8-3

I actually got a 4'x6' package at a liquidation store that I've been cutting pieces from... drape that over a corner of the lift's railing and park your laptop on it, it's not going anywhere easily

OK let me back up to beginning ! This is getting frustrating

Notice in link- picture below 3 people running. What is the best way to get faces and description. Also scan cars in front of house, also people passing and on property as well as identifying a car in street passing by possibly getting a plate a face and definitely get car description.

Put your self in my shoes and lets say in plan English punk kids are scratching and painting your property! How to get evidence so I don't put a bullet in someones head

I need to protect and catch someone with good enough evidence to prove who it is ! I been going through this for years and cant get evidence with crappy setup in place now.

Advise me on a system you would build for YOURSELF to protect your investments. They already cost me lets say 5k !

So lets say my budget is at 4K or no limit if need be !

sorry to sound agitated but just thinking about it ticks me off!

BILLY MAYS HERE with Soundy's super durable ultra portable laptop and service monitor anti-slip device!

Tired of dropping laptops onto clients heads? Sick of struggling to balance service monitors on top of scissor lifts? Oh no! Look out Bpzle! Soundy is about to drop that 32" CRT onto your head from above! Wait,Bpzle was saved by Soundy's super durable ultra portable laptop and service monitor anti-slip device!

Run, don't walk to your nearest telephone! Don't wait, order now!!!