volito

looking to upgrade my system !

BILLY MAYS HERE with Soundy's super durable ultra portable laptop and service monitor anti-slip device!

Tired of dropping laptops onto clients heads? Sick of struggling to balance service monitors on top of scissor lifts? Oh no! Look out Bpzle! Soundy is about to drop that 32" CRT onto your head from above! Wait,Bpzle was saved by Soundy's super durable ultra portable laptop and service monitor anti-slip device!

Run, don't walk to your nearest telephone! Don't wait, order now!!!

ROFL!!! Okay, that just made my day

What's that you say? Flexible and growing budget? Alright!!! Now we're talking!

Ok, here's what I'd get...

Cams:

(3) ACM-1231 these for good coverage all around the house.

(2) AV5155DN for front coverage

IR Flood:

(1) XA-IR240 to help with light in the front of the house

CPU:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=brcwc0p&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&kc=desktop-vostro-420

may also want to buy a cheap aftermarket gigabit card to help with the bandwidth coming into the CPU.

Hard drives:

Get from anywhere. just make sure they have high RPM and cache. I would get at least 5tb. The Vostro will fit them nicely.

Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FS726TP-ProSafe-Switch-Gigabit/dp/B0009WRU8O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257620730&sr=8-4

Software:

VideoInsight's IPSv4-8. 8 camera license and server software only.

To save cash you could probably still go with the 8 camera liscense of LuxRiot...

That will put you probably at maybe $7-8k (US) retail. Expensive, but you asked! It would arguably be a pretty decent setup without going too crazy... I expect to hear some nay sayers on the switch but I've had good luck with them and for a residential setup, I don't see the need to shell out cash on a Cisco.

What's that you say? Flexible and growing budget? Alright!!! Now we're talking!

Ok, here's what I'd get...

Cams:

(3) ACM-1231 these for good coverage all around the house.

(2) AV5155DN for front coverage

IR Flood:

CPU:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=brcwc0p&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&kc=desktop-vostro-420

may also want to buy a cheap aftermarket gigabit card to help with the bandwidth coming into the CPU.

Hard drives:

Get from anywhere. just make sure they have high RPM and cache. I would get at least 5tb. The Vostro will fit them nicely.

Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FS726TP-ProSafe-Switch-Gigabit/dp/B0009WRU8O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257620730&sr=8-4

Software:

VideoInsight's IPSv4-8. 8 camera license and server software only.

To save cash you could probably still go with the 8 camera liscense of LuxRiot...

That will put you probably at maybe $7-8k (US) retail. Expensive, but you asked! It would arguably be a pretty decent setup without going too crazy... I expect to hear some nay sayers on the switch but I've had good luck with them and for a residential setup, I don't see the need to shell out cash on a Cisco.

The server is way over kill and 5 TB is was to much for home setup. 1TB would be more then enough. 1TB with motion recoding will give you more then a week of storage.

This one of the major reasons I like Exacq NVR software I can record those cameras on a $600 machine with a Atom processor. Less noise, alot smaller and very little electric with the Atom setup.

A

I think that will be kinda minor as the server will cost around 700 correct ?

I guess your gonna agree with the camera pics and rest?

And I am guessing the 3 and 2 set up will be for different FOV's for closeups and distance correct?

That vostro is like $600 shipped with an LCD monitor!!! Why would you pay more for less and get an atom processor? Junk! Computers are so cheap these days... Why not get a good one??? And as far as the storage... I like more than 7 days (probably not realistic with 3 1.3mp cams and 2 5mp cams on 1tb) recording archive... I travel a lot and having a month or more is a must for me. Not to mention you can research someone scoping out your property a few weeks before something happened. Hard drives are cheap too! If your investing $4k in cameras... what's a couple hundred bucks in hard drives! Rubish!

For the Actis... I was thinking one in the backyard and one on each side of the house (if its not a row house). It it is a row house, then maybe one on the porch, another in the backyard, and one misc in the front for some sort of tight shot? Idk... plenty to play with and room to grow!

For the Actis... I was thinking one in the backyard and one on each side of the house (if its not a row house). It it is a row house, then maybe one on the porch, another in the backyard, and one misc in the front for some sort of tight shot? Idk... plenty to play with and room to grow!

What you see in the pics I supplied that is it ! Just the driveway and street.

I have 3 cams out there now! and suggested was 5. So I was assuming for all possible FOV's correct or 5 will be over kill?

That vostro is like $600 shipped with an LCD monitor!!! Why would you pay more for less and get an atom processor? Junk! Computers are so cheap these days... Why not get a good one??? And as far as the storage... I like more than 7 days (probably not realistic with 3 1.3mp cams and 2 5mp cams on 1tb) recording archive... I travel a lot and having a month or more is a must for me. Not to mention you can research someone scoping out your property a few weeks before something happened. Hard drives are cheap too! If your investing $4k in cameras... what's a couple hundred bucks in hard drives! Rubish!

Well if you put 3 party hard drives in the Dell you void the warranty.

I have a job with 1 (5MP) 1 (1.3MP) and 4 (D1) cameras recording on motion and 3 (1.3MP) recording 24/7. All of them are outdoors except one D1 and 1 (1.3MP) and I get over 9 days of storage with one 1TB.

Also that price for the Atom box that I build is with Windows. Exacq runs great on Linux so you can take that price down to $470 with a TB drive in it.

This is just from my experience and what I would recommend. The dell is a fine solution too.

I'm thinking 5 will be overkill... you'd definitely get great angles but dang! Then that changes things a bit...

Cams:

(1) ACM-1231. Front porch? Misc tight shot?

(2) AV5155DN.

IR Flood:

CPU:

Gigabit card probably not necessary.

Hard drives:

Get from anywhere. just make sure they have high RPM and cache. I would get at least 3tb. The Vostro will fit them nicely.

Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/8-PORT-Switch-unmanaged-802-3AF-Ports/dp/B000LO69AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257627354&sr=8-1

Software:

VideoInsight's IPSv4-4. 4 camera license and server software only.

To save cash you could probably still go with the 4 camera license of LuxRiot...

That will put you probably at maybe $5-6k (US) retail depending on what you want.

BTW- I'd have to check LuxRiot's site for compatibility... but I bet you could use your old PC to run just the 3 cams.

Just buy the 4 cam license from LuxRiot, 3 cams, and cheapo POE switch, couple hard drives, and BOOM your done!

Maybe $3,500 US retail?

^^Focus seems a little soft in that 5135 pic...

Yea..... it's up on a pole so can't do much about it now till he adds more cameras and I have the lift again.

It is really hard to focus the camera with your laptop in your hand on the lift. You need to be in a dark room so you can see the image really well.

When I can't see the image well enough (seems like more often, as I'm getting older) I usually go into the S/W setup menu for the camera, Exacq and Milestone both can show the image file size, I tweak for the highest number there, and it usually gives pretty good results.

Also lets you see the results of closing the iris too much, file size goes way up when the image starts getting grainy.

Well if you put 3 party hard drives in the Dell you void the warranty.

I have a job with 1 (5MP) 1 (1.3MP) and 4 (D1) cameras recording on motion and 3 (1.3MP) recording 24/7. All of them are outdoors except one D1 and 1 (1.3MP) and I get over 9 days of storage with one 1TB.

Also that price for the Atom box that I build is with Windows. Exacq runs great on Linux so you can take that price down to $470 with a TB drive in it.

This is just from my experience and what I would recommend. The dell is a fine solution too.

What Dell doesn't know won't hurt them. The drives they would use are probably the same you'd get locally for cheap... The drives come with their own warranty. Often much longer than the standard warranties from Dell... I wouldn't sweat it.

As far as the storage... Ok, I believe you. Honestly, you have way more experience with megapixel than I do! I still would recommend more than a TB though as I always try to encourage more than a month of storage, regardless of the setup. Just my preference.

I am curious which codecs, quality, and FPS you used though...

BTW- I'd have to check LuxRiot's site for compatibility... but I bet you could use your old PC to run just the 3 cams.

Just buy the 4 cam license from LuxRiot, 3 cams, and cheapo POE switch, couple hard drives, and BOOM your done!

Maybe $3,500 US retail?

ok this is the setup I am most likely going to start to build ! Now I am giong to research the software you suggested and also double check PC specs with software requirements.

looks like LuxRiot you can run both IP and analog cameras correct? think my geovision will work?

also why does one come with a heater is it also used as a PTZ?

which lenses do I get for the 2 AV5155DN's 4-10mm or 8-16mm?

I am guessing I will have to manually adjust zoom from 4-10 or 8-16 correct?

also the bullet seems to have audio "does audio run over Ethernet also"?

sorry if these are basic questions but I am a true newbie in this

thanks again

looks like LuxRiot you can run both IP and analog cameras correct? think my geovision will work?

also why does one come with a heater is it also used as a PTZ?

which lenses do I get for the 2 AV5155DN's 4-10mm or 8-16mm?

I am guessing I will have to manually adjust zoom from 4-10 or 8-16 correct?

also the bullet seems to have audio "does audio run over Ethernet also"?

sorry if these are basic questions but I am a true newbie in this

thanks again

I don't believe your analog Geovision capture card will work with LuxRiot. I think Geovision cards only work with their proprietary software. I could be wrong though, I don't have any experience with Geovision... LuxRiot's customer support line could probably answer that question better than GeoVision's. I hear GeoVision's support is not so supportive.

The heater is just for colder climates. No mechanical PTZ. With a heater ("HK" model I think) its rated for -30 degrees C. Without a heater it's rated at 0 degrees C. Not a problem for us here in Texas.

As far as the lens... that depends. About how many feet or meters is your house (where the cameras will be mounted) from the street? You can use the lens calculator on Arecont's site to help design the angles and FOV in which to focus/ mount the cameras.

Yes, you will have to manually zoom/ focus the camera. This is accomplished with the 2 set screws on the lens that you loosen, then turn. I find it handy to first mount the camera, get it up and running on your wireless network, then use a laptop to focus and fine tune.

Yes, the bullet's microphone audio is transmitted over Ethernet. As well the power, video, and camera's browser based configuration settings. All in one cable. Arn't IP cameras great?

Another reason the bullet would be a great place for your front porch, is for the audio. It's interesting to hear what salesmen and people knocking on your front door have to say.

I have one at my house, and recommend a mic at the front porch for most residential installs. You never know if you might hear some thieves talking about robbing your house when you don't answer...

Luxriot will not work with Geovision

They using somebody else card

But you can run both analog and IP on Geovision too! If it is not a copy then!

JD

JD

JD I know that

I personnaly hate Geo

never sold and will never try

simply dont care about them

I am ok with HIK so far

but lately less and less PC based

more stand alone and IP NVR

JD

JD I know that

I personnaly hate Geo

never sold and will never try

simply dont care about them

I am ok with HIK so far

but lately less and less PC based

more stand alone and IP NVR

Well I think that HYBRID PC based will be the main stream for a while still! But offcourse will IP get more market share as well.

Did you see by the way that Qnap now supports IPC from Hik.

JD

keep in mind the 1231 does not have a built in mic

Good call. I guess I was thinking about the cheap cube cameras they sell...

It does have audio inputs though that could be used.

Well I think that HYBRID PC based will be the main stream for a while still! But offcourse will IP get more market share as well.

JD

JD by the way

have ? for

how many diff IP Cams your HIK soft support ?

my I beleive support 4 or may be 5

just today got demo clips and live demo from Asia

cant believe my eyes

quality I never see before

if its true then Arecont Iqvision and all other have take a rest

it is only 2 MP

but by clarity beat any 3-5 MP I ever seen in my life

going to spent some time to investigate

Edited by Guest

JD

JD by the way

have ? for

my I beleive support 4 or may be 5

I would say exactly same as you

JD

Hikvision

Dahua

Huvrion

Sony

Acti

and under development

Mobotix

Arecont

Axis

What version are you running x.33?

JD

JD

JD by the way

have ? for

my I believe support 4 or may be 5

I would say exactly same as you

JD

I guess "mother" is the same