mliebs8

Does this picture look ok for a 580tvl camera

I'm in the process of installing a system in my house and wanted to know if this was what I should expect for clarity. Any help or comments would be appreciated. For some reason I can't seem to get the image to load. Ok there we go.

camera.jpg

I'm relatively new to this, so I can't comment. However, could you specify how high off the ground this camera is and what kind of lens?

ie: 8ft off ground, 1/3"CCD, 3.6mm ???

Thanks!

Sorry, I should have thought about that. The camera is 13' high with a 3.8mm lens, 1/3" ccd. It's actually the Nuvico CV-STD39N-L. It's a veri-focal but it's set at the widest angle, I should have mounted it in a different spot but I guess I can change that later if need be.

Actually I can't tilt it up any more that's why I said I may have to move it later. This camera is set to see the doors and what the maids are cleaning / or not cleaning when they are there. Finding the right location for the cameras was quite a bit more difficult than I had anticipated.

Im a little confused, you said a 580TVL camera?? Anyway, no the image is not that great, but it could be the DVR you are using not the camera. I hope the image doesnt look that bad locally?

edit; found the specs, nice marketting hype from them on that, actually effective pixels are less than most 480TVL cameras at just 768(H) x 494(V). IN any event, camera doesnt seem like anything special, their Super Image Enhancer is not working in this case though.

Yeah, the image is pretty poor for a very high resolution camera. As rory mentioned, it could be the DVR, something might be wrong with the chip set or you may wish to make sure to clean the lens and dome as sometimes there is a thin film inside which can obscure things.

Good information but since I'm new to this I'm trying to figure out what I should do to improve it. The DVR is the Nuvico AL805, I'm not sure if it's the camera or the dvr that would be the problem. Can you recommend a camera in the $200-$300 range that would work better? Like I said earlier, any help or comments is greatly appreicated. Thanks

I wasn't able to find much at the Nuvico website in way of (EDIT: I meant) DVR specs but you may wish to contact their technical support team just to see if they have any suggestions.

http://www.nuvico.com/tech-support.htm

Also, I found this page on their website to be somewhat troubling in regards to unauthorized resellers. Hopefully you didn't purchase your unit from anyone on their list.

http://www.nuvico.com/unauthorized-resellers.htm

I would definitely hold off on buying another camera if the DVR cannot take advantage of high resolution cameras to begin with. Is this the only camera which you have installed so far?

Edited by Guest

Fortunately I purchased everything from an authorized dealer, I got lucky and read that on their website before I bought everything. I plan on calling Nuvico today. I actually have 8 cameras hooked up, 6 are the same as the one posted and the other 2 are a fixed lens.

I purchased an Orion 7m to access the menu and do the adjustments but I didn't focus anything in real low light or with the IRs on yet. The only TV I have that isn't an LCD is a 27" crt. When I get home today I think I'll hook it up and see what it looks like on there. I noticed when the IRs are on the picture looks better so I'm hopeing I can make some changes in the menu settings and get the picture better.

I will say that the picture looks a little better when I'm viewing it off the screen than it does in the picture. Not much, but a little better.

Thanks for all of your help and input.

I have a requirement for a CCTV system to be used as a training tool in a health care facility. They want to use a DVR to record audio, video and be able to switch on recording at will from 4 locations. I got 3 fixed and 2 PTZ cameras as well as LouRou mics. My issue is with the recommended DVR from my rep. They recommend the AL405 which is the 4 channel version of the 8 that the op has in this thread.

Can I expect below par recording with this DVR? I never bought a Nuvico DVR before. I've purchased 4 of their cameras and sent them all back because I thought they had poor quality. Wondering if the DVR would be the same.

I would recomment them a MP system for the training department but they will need a full 30FPS recording in full res. Told them to not expect a hightech recording system here if there using a CCTV system like this. They want good quality Audio and Video recording.

Good information but since I'm new to this I'm trying to figure out what I should do to improve it. The DVR is the Nuvico AL805, I'm not sure if it's the camera or the dvr that would be the problem. Can you recommend a camera in the $200-$300 range that would work better? Like I said earlier, any help or comments is greatly appreicated. Thanks

The Nuvico EVL-800N might have given you a better recording and display resolution... The H.264 compression is suppose to be better than MPEG4.