cdw3423

NV7480 Card

I have been doing a lot of research into stand alone DVR and DVR Cards. It sure does seem hard to find clear details on what the various ones can do. Anyway here is what I want to do.

I want to record in high res (4CIF/D1) high FPS, on probably 6 cameras. I may want more cameras in the future but for at least the short term it will be no more than 8. It seems the cheapest I can get a standalone DVR to do that is around $2,200. I have seen the NV7480 for around $750 at a few places online. That leaves me with $1,250 for a computer which is very easy to do. Since this card has hardware compression I don't need all that powerful of a CPU.

That seems like a lot better deal to me. I also understand the software is a lot more flexible than what a stand alone DVR would have. With the 7480 I can have as many as 16 cameras, although that would cut my FPS down to 15 which still isn't bad.

I have also looked at Geovision and Nuuo. It doesn't seem like they have a product that is as good of a deal. Am I missing anything? Should I look into other cards or stand alone DVRs?

Chris W

I have been using Aver's products for years and I like them very much. I also have installed a few Geovisions. The 7480 I think is a great deal. The only con on that card is that it does not give a quad view on the Spot Monitor (TV). Other than that, the software and the hardware is very good. By the way, you really don't need a computer priced at 1250 to run that card. I would go with the 7480 choice. Just make sure that the PC you get has two or more PCI Express slots, like Dell Vostro 420.

I wasn't planning on spending that much on the computer, it's just that as long as the computer cost that or less, I am doing better than those $2000 DVRs that only do 8 cameras as 30fps D1. I was looking at putting together a machine for more like $500 with parts from newegg

Are you sure I need PCI Express slots? I thought that card was just standard PCI?

Also I was looking at the specs on the NV8416 E4. It says it needs a PCI express x4 slot. It's hard to find a mother board that has that unless it is one of the new i5 / i7 boards. Would it work in a machine with 2 PCI express x16 slots for dual video cards and use on of the x16 slots for this board? or will it work in the more common x1 slots?

You are correct, the NV7480 is not an EXP card, therefore it is PCI interface. And no you would not be able to put the card in a Video PCI Express slot. So I think you are on the right track with the hardware compression card to lower system resources.

I would still build a rig from Newegg with the hardware compatibility list on Aver's site to be sure of chipset compatibility. You can probably get away with a dual core Intel as well, but for the price you may find it just about as comparable as a quad core.

Only limitation of that card it seems is that it is in a slower bandwidth slot (PCI) as compared to the higher speeds in the PCI-E x1 or x4 slots. I do; however, believe you would not realize any noticable slowdown if you had two capture cards side by side on a desk.

The information shows that you can stack two of those cards if need be to get 32 channels, so if that is a future goal then make sure you have two unobstructed PCI slots to use after you put in the video card, becuase you know about the major complaint regarding the bigger PCI-E video cards or the double slot ones is that a PCI slot at least normally becomes covered.

Yapp, my mistake. This card is a PCI card, not a PCI-X. (I know it's been a long time since my last post).