mrshanes

New home - need mid level cctv system

Hey folks. Getting ready to build a new house and wanted some advice on what type of system I should put in. I've been scouring the web and there is tons of info, but it's all starting to blur in my mind.

My home is about 5000 sq ft and I'm looking for a simple CCTV system that I can play with. I'm not looking for state-of-the-art, but I don't want junk either. I want to be able to make out what's in the video.

My requirements/specs:

I'll have more than 4 cameras, but less than 8, so I guess I need an 8ch system.

The house isn't built yet, so I can do any wiring I need. I'm planning on RG59, 18/2, and 2 cat6 to each camera location, so I can do analog or ip cameras.

4 cameras will be outside and 2 or 3 will be inside.

The outside viewing distances will be anywhere from 10 feet to 60 feet. The longest cable run will be about 130 feet.

I would like for this to be able to integrate into a whole house automation system either via RS-232 or LAN/WAN controllable.

So, is there a complete system I can buy that meets my needs that isn't junk? Or do I need to piece-meal this thing? Should it be PC-based or a standalone DVR?

Again, still in the design stages and the house isn't built, so my options are pretty much limitless right now.

Budget? Under 2K.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Shane

4 cameras outside for a 5000 sq foot house?

I am very disapointed in you!

I would put the three cameras on the inside, and I would run 13 wires to camera locations for the outside. You can mount the 4 cameras outside, but then you have room to add on more if you feel that a "new problem" has come up down the road. I may run even more, and move the cables for each situation, and move the cameras to new locations depending on your security needs.

I would try to make the system flexible to match you budget such as using vari focal cameras instead of fixed lens cameras.

I can see at least 3 looking out to the front lawn.

Do you have a circular driveway, or do you have a traditional driveway, or do you have large parking area in the front, with a drive going towards the back of the house to the garage?

What is in your garage? Tools? Expensive fishing rods? What is your hobby?

Do you have a pool? Do you have grandkids?

Do you have a water front home? River, canal, or ocean? Can someone approach your house from this point? Do you have a dock?

How many gates do you have? One left entrance, and one right entrance through the fence?

Do you have a Lanai / pool area / patio?

Do you have teenage children where they may leave the house after they are supposed to be in bed, or do you have a boyfriend who is sniffing around the back sliding glass door waiting for her to come out?

What kind of cars do you drive? Are they expensive, valuable, or collectable?

Do you have a maid, live in maid, gardner, "around the house handy man", butler, ect?

Do you entertain alot, or do you entertain in order to network to increase your business (such as realestate sale leaders, mortgage brokers). Do you host a lot of fund raisers?

I would set up video surveillance to cover all of these situations.

I would put a PTZ camera at certain locations. The camera would be set for a particular situation, and then when you have a parties, or some event then I would rearrange the cameras for each event, and then put them back to their "home" position after wards.

As I have said you do not need to install a ton of cameras, but at least plan ahead, and prewire to you hearts content.

I apologize for being so rude. I want to "kick you in the pants" to make you proactive, rather then reactive to future situations.

Perhaps you will hire me as a consultant to provide your security needs. I want you to see that I look at the "big picture".

Tricks: If you do not want a camera in your master bedroom for privacy reasons (the wife), then put a covert PIR motion camera at the entrance way to your master bedroom. If the hired help, or a wayward guest were to go in there, and something came up missing at least you know who, what, and when!

If you have a large master bedroom closet (closets), and you have a cash drawer, or jewelry drawer then put a covert down facing smoke detector camera toward the back away from the area where one may dress. This gives you privacy yet you can watch your valuables.

Can you provide a http://maps.google.com/ of the location?

What do you think?

Scorpion. well said " title="Applause" /> i try to get this point over to customers time and time again. ............. i call to see customers who as soon as you get there say i only want a 4 cam system. and the house is massive. (customer. 1 cam on driveway, 1 cam on front garden, 1 cam looking at garage, 1 camera looking over back yard. that a 4 camera system) so you explain to the customer that all cameras are looking away from the house. nothing is protecting the doors windows or the building its self. it does not take them long to aggree.

MRSHANES, take time in designing your system if you can post a pic on here of your new home plans and area around it. then guys on here will help you design it. like scorpion says run cables everywere and add cameras each month it will soon build up into fortknocks. most good systems will interact with your house network i.e gates/alarm/doorentry. but spend as much on your dvr as you can to start and add to it when you can. you have 100s of guys who will help you on here they can send you demos of dvrs /cameras which is also a very good thing because at night your system will change. good cameras is the key to a system.

Thanks for replying.

Sorry to disapoint you! I don't really feel there will be a crime threat in the area where we are building. This is really just something neat for me to do. A "toy" if you will. I don't want junk though. I'm willing to spend the money on some nice components to make it expandable and I can run all the wire I want now, so I can always add in the future like you said. I'll answer some of your questions and try to post the blue prints later today.

The house will be located in a gated community. Only the entrance is gated though so there are plenty of ways in. The house will sit on 1 acre and is basically rectangular in shape with a driveway entry in front that goes to a side entry two car garage. No fancy cars in the garage - just your standard pick-up truck and family minivan. My hobby is at the airport!

The house has a walk-out basement with patio in rear and a large deck above. There will be a 20'x40' pool behind with a 20'x20' cabana beside the pool.

No grandkids, but I have three small children: ages 5, 3, and 6 months.

The home is not water front, but has a pond about 500 feet behind it.

There is no maid or butler, but a nanny is at the house with the children through the week. Most of the time it's grandma, but others help out when needed.

We entertain occasionally, but just for fun, not for business.

So, should I start with a standalone DVR system, or go the PC route so it can integrate into whole house automation? If I decide to go IP, I may not run the RG59 and 18/2. Would that be a mistake? Should I run it all anyway for flexibility?

Again, I'll try to get the plans posted today. Thanks for all your help.

If it is going to be a toy more than anything, have you considered a good PTZ camera instead of fixed cameras? I always wanted to mount one on my house but because I have neighbors on all sides of me I cannot out of respect for their privacy.

As for the DVR, I like PC based equipment simply because they are expandable and components are available everywhere should you decide to upgrade or need to replace a part.

If it is going to be a toy more than anything, have you considered a good PTZ camera instead of fixed cameras?

If I understand PTZ cameras, don't they require more power? I am only doing the low voltage wiring in my house. I could request the electrician to add electric to the proposed locations, but that might be getting into more than I want. Sure, the PTZ stuff would be cool to play with. Maybe even addictive! The price for these is probably a lot more too, right?

Just because you live in a gated community in a nice area doesn't mean thieves aren't around. To date, 337 multi million dollar homes in gated communities in posh areas of Arizona have been plagued for years by the so called 'rock burglers". They only target the rich. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/01/20/20090120rockburglar0120.html Not to say its going to happen to you, but it does happen more often than you would think! I'd run wire to multiple locations and add cameras later if necessary.

You do not have to run RG59 siamese. You can run the cat 5, but I would suggest a separate two conductor for power. You can use baluns at both end to connect to the cat5 for composite video. When you switch to IP then you are ready to go.

PC based verses standalone.

Too many variables in the equation.

Simple? Then I say standalone.

If you were doing access, plate recognition, and CCTV then the PC based would be the ideal situation.

I do not do PC based DVRs so you will have to get with others on recommendations.

I like the standalone DVRs as they reboot, and continue on after the power has gone out. There is no OS system to deal with, and you do not have to panic over update tuesday wrecking things up.

For a high end system where you have to have an operational system 24/7 then a PC may be the better option has you can get a power supply from any PC store. Standalone are not plug and play with parts.

Since I am not a computer person than it was better for me to go the standalone route. I do not know about bios settings, and how to shut down services that are unneeded to make the system super fast so that it can render all of the graphics without lag. If you are an IT guy then PC base may be the way to go.

One thing to decide at this stage is where you are going to put the DVR. I would say avoid the master bedroom as the fans can be noisy, (PC, or standalone).

Are you doing a structured cabinet for wiring? You can run a DVR composite out to the cabinet, and then you can tie in to spare coax to send video to other TVs. You will want dual coax runs. One for cable / sat, and the other for your DVR video. You will have to switch the video inputs on your TV to switch back and forth.

If you have a shelf for the DVR then make room for a nice size battery back up. You do not have to install it right away, but you have room for it down the road.

You can prewire an internet AP on the first floor, and one on the second floor, and set it up with POE. This will allow your Wi fi enabled cell phones to connect in to watch video.

What do you think of those ideas?

I have a 3000 sq-ft house, and a dozen cameras, including multiple megapixel cameras, PTZ, and covert cameras.

You're really thinking small on this one... you're going to want more... trust me.

Your budget will cover four high-quality cameras... but that amount won't be enough to cover four cameras AND a good PC-based DVR and software.