smedley

System of choice in large site

I'm designing a system for a large educational facility. The facility is a new building with up to date network and cable management systems. I plan on using exterior cams around the perimeter and interior cams for choke points for a total of around 40 cameras. The exterior should be able to withstand weather down to -35C and I'm trying to avoid large heated housings. Cams that come to mind are low wattage d/n cams like Bosch/Extreme cctv EX27 or EX14 with the interior consisting of small dome cams like Pelco IS90. Currently, I am at a crossroads between analog cams to DVRs and IP cams to NVRs or software. I've decided to use UTP cable for future migration to IP/megapixal cams as they become more mature and cost-effective as at the moment I'm leaning towards analog cams using baluns. Due to the vast nature of the facility, it's pretty much a necessity to run cables to 4 different locations and install DVRs and power supplies before connecting to the LAN for inside domain access via network. Of course, some type of CMS is a pretty good idea here to pull all the units into one useable desktop. I'd be interested in hearing any suggestions or comments as there are members of this forum who have had some very sensible ideas.

hi,

I would be using IP`s with Vandal resistant housings

Are larger IP systems something you've specialized in?

Hi smedley.

if this is your first time installing ip then i would say dont. you are looking at doing a 40 cam install. you need to know what you are doing and you need to have a good IT manager behind you. plus the cost. look at a hybrid system were you can use both. BUT NEVER install a ip ptz.

Well smedley, I don't know about any others, but Vigil DVRs should handle your listed needs. They make 16- and 32-channel units; all their DVRs will work as hybrid (analog and IP mix) systems, or they have pure NVR units that use the same software, just without the capture hardware. They also have both a remote client that will let you easily display multiple sites on one screen, and even group cameras from multiple sites together for one-click viewing, as well as a CMS/health-monitor utility. Systems can even be configured so multiple DVRs/NVRs can use a single central database.

The only thing you don't mention is your budge - Vigil isn't the cheapest out there, but it's not the most expensive either, but for everything it does, IMHO, it's pretty reasonably priced, and (also IMHO) very user-friendly.

I'd agree with Tom on the 'first IP install'. This is something that we teach here are our office and honestly its rather a crash course being so short. We do 3 days on the DVR/NVR's and another 3 days just on IP and networking. If this is your first crack at it, you certainly want a good IT guy with you as well as the job sites IT guy. He probably knows their particular brand and make of switch inside and out.

I'd agree with Tom on the 'first IP install'. This is something that we teach here are our office and honestly its rather a crash course being so short. We do 3 days on the DVR/NVR's and another 3 days just on IP and networking. If this is your first crack at it, you certainly want a good IT guy with you as well as the job sites IT guy. He probably knows their particular brand and make of switch inside and out.

Good advice to everyone inexperienced in IP, of course. I'm not sure why this "first IP install" came up. I guess the first few posts can sound/look newby-ish. Thanks for the replies anyway.