cglaeser

Ultra low light IP cameras?

Are there any ultra low light cameras (e.g. something comparable to the Samsung SHC-745 with 1/2" Exview) that are also IP?

Best,

Christopher

doesnt even have to be 1/2" .. im still looking for anything that can compare to a standard CCTV exview ... BW preferably .. in fact im looking for a mini IP bullet camera or mini board/cube cameras (doesnt have to be exview), or a mini IP encoder. Trick is they have to work under lowered lighting, and without IR. A mini IP encoder would work also .. to convert from CCTV to IP .. but it cant be expensive otherwise cheaper for me to run coax.

doesnt even have to be 1/2" .. im still looking for anything that can compare to a standard CCTV exview ...

What do you think about mating the SHC-745 (or similar Exview) to an Axis video encoder? I want to monitor a poorly lit area about 40' wide from about 250'. I expect that an SHC-745 with long lens would perform well, but would prefer an IP solution.

Best,

Christopher

What do you think about mating the SHC-745 (or similar Exview) to an Axis video encoder? I want to monitor a poorly lit area about 40' wide from about 250'. I expect that an SHC-745 with long lens would perform well, but would prefer an IP solution.

Best,

Christopher

the cost of the axis encoders is what scared me away .

Plus i want something small I can stick inside the weatherproof gang box (or attic, etc) at the camera itself.

the cost of the axis encoders is what scared me away .

I looked up the price. Ouch. I was guessing less.

Best,

Christopher

For that large an area, you need a good camera. We use the Mobotix M12D-SEC Day/Night. Here's an image from last night (no special lighting, no IR lights, just available light) -

115286_1.jpg

For that large an area, you need a good camera. We use the Mobotix M12D-SEC Day/Night. Here's an image from last night (no special lighting, no IR lights, just available light) -

115286_1.jpg

Are you recording all the time? Are you using onboard storage or a NAS?

I record what they refer to as events to a NAS. You setup zones on the image where you want motion dectection or you can use can use the IR sensor on the front of the camera. You then tell it how many seconds before and after the detection to run the video and it stores it on the NAS as an event so you can view later.

I get funny looks when I tell peope about storing video before motion has been detected. It's because it's constantly getting images in memory, but writes the events from memory, not from the image sensor.

I record what they refer to as events to a NAS.

I do the same with Axis 223M and Panasonic WV-NW502S. The latest firmware release from Axis added date/time folders, so the camera keeps everything organized on the NAS automatically. Sweet. The 502 has better low-light, but otherwise the programming features of the Axis are more robust.

Those Mobotix images do look nice. Will be interesting to see what they do with the next version, which is reportedly due out soon.

Best,

Christopher

I record what they refer to as events to a NAS. You setup zones on the image where you want motion dectection or you can use can use the IR sensor on the front of the camera. You then tell it how many seconds before and after the detection to run the video and it stores it on the NAS as an event so you can view later.

I get funny looks when I tell peope about storing video before motion has been detected. It's because it's constantly getting images in memory, but writes the events from memory, not from the image sensor.

Thats standard with [almost] all CCTV digital recorders, its called post and pre recording.

You might want to try USAG's Midnight IP Cameras. I do not post here much, so I cannot post links, but if you Google "USAG Midnight", you should find us easily enough.

Are there any ultra low light cameras (e.g. something comparable to the Samsung SHC-745 with 1/2" Exview) that are also IP?

Best,

Christopher

Check please Lumenera cameras:

http://lumenera.com/products/surveillance-cameras/index.php

they have quite good low-light sensitivity and supported by different software vendors. for example Le165 has <0.01 lux at F 1.0. Day/night cameras are also availiable.

they have quite good low-light sensitivity and supported by different software vendors. for example Le165 has <0.01 lux at F 1.0. Day/night cameras are also availiable.

Thanks for the link. They don't mention the shutter speed, which usually means they used a very slow DSS but are too embarrassed to include it in the spec. I wish the FTC would step in and put a stop to the practice of publishing lux values without shutter speeds.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks for the link. They don't mention the shutter speed, which usually means they used a very slow DSS but are too embarrassed to include it in the spec. I wish the FTC would step in and put a stop to the practice of publishing lux values without shutter speeds.

Best,

Christopher

i second the M12 and they post the lux levels with shutter speed. According to the tech specs:

Color: 1 lux (t=1/60 s), 0,05 lux (t=1/1 s)

B/W: 0,1 lux (t=1/60 s), 0,005 lux (t=1/1 s)