Scruit

Avermedia EB1304MOB corruption issues persist

I've been through 8 hard drives and 2 DVRs, and I'm still seeing video getting corrupted. Is there anyone who works for Aver here who can give me some advice on how to mount the DVR in the car? Must it be mounted horizontally at all costs?

What else can cause the DVR to corrupt the filesystem?

Any idea if the problem is unique to Scruit (love the name BTW ), or is this the norm for the 1304MOB? If it is a rare problem I would be going after Aver for a replacement. And play mean by sending them the links to what you are posting here. Nothing is worse for a manufacturers reputation than to have the professional community aware of their shortcomings.

Scruit is not the only one with the problem. mine does the same tho not as bad. mine is also mounted vertically simply due to lack of room.

however my mounting system is somewhat more complex than Scruit's. its still a work in progress and today cut out for 3 minutes.

trying new hardrive, it tends to be more prone to loosing data. i get lots of stop starts (lose about 5 secs of footage each time).

SSD may not solve the problem if the data loss is due to the cradle loosing contact.

Scruit..... can you mount it up under the rear parcel shelf?

if there is no where to mount it flat then forget using stock mounts. make your own setup.

i've got mine partly on 2" foam rubber.

Scruit..... can you mount it up under the rear parcel shelf?

if there is no where to mount it flat then forget using stock mounts. make your own setup.

i've got mine partly on 2" foam rubber.

That is my weekend project coming up. I'm going to make a bracket to mount it under the parcel shelf. Will post results.

Any idea if the problem is unique to Scruit (love the name BTW ), or is this the norm for the 1304MOB? If it is a rare problem I would be going after Aver for a replacement. And play mean by sending them the links to what you are posting here. Nothing is worse for a manufacturers reputation than to have the professional community aware of their shortcomings.

I do not think these units are designed for auto use.

What does the military do to mount computers in tanks, and other vehicles?

I can see a modified version of a hard drive for "combat" use, but I would think that the mounting, or shock absorbing designs could be incorporated in to a weekend project?

It would be interesting to see if one could change shock absorbers, and get the car to ride slightly smoother, and figure a way to mount a hard drive with an shock absorbing mount.

I wonder how NASA does it?

Can you set up a PC based system with a raid?

What does the military do to mount computers in tanks, and other vehicles?

I can see a modified version of a hard drive for "combat" use, but I would think that the mounting, or shock absorbing designs could be incorporated in to a weekend project?

It would be interesting to see if one could change shock absorbers, and get the car to ride slightly smoother, and figure a way to mount a hard drive with an shock absorbing mount.

I wonder how NASA does it?

Can you set up a PC based system with a raid?

I used a Seagate Automotive Hard drive. Cost me $200 for 80GB. Failed in 9mo. I think the problem is that the HD shock absorption does not work properly unless the DVR is mounted horizontally.

well they are sold as an automotive system, they are meant to be specially designed as an automotive dvr.

the mounts are only basically a stack of rubber washers. nothing fancy at all. had thought of using RC car shock absorbers if i got really serious about it.

had thought of using RC car shock absorbers if i got really serious about it.

If you get really serious, use a solid state disk drive.

Best,

Christopher

had thought of using RC car shock absorbers if i got really serious about it.

If you get really serious, use a solid state disk drive.

Best,

Christopher

you still have the problem of the hardrive caddy coming loose.

SSD may not even work as they are untested.

not to mention the $$$ but biggest problem is availability, IDE SSD are rare around here.

DVR's generally don't play nicely with IDE-SATA converter cards.

IDE SSD are rare around here.

Do you need volume quantity or just one?

Best,

Christopher

74G gave me 7 days of driving history. 32G would give me 3 days. 16G would give me today and half of yesterday unless I ran errands.

If you can fine me a 32GB IDE SLC that can sustain 100M/Sec for less than $500 then I might take a look. Even then, Aver says it's untested and may not work.

I'm going to take a look at using an IDE-SATA converter because SATA SLC are much faster but no cheaper.

My automotive HD (seagate 2.5") could not keep up with the data rate. I'm looking for it's performance spects now.

the SMART scan on the seagate drive revealed no logged errors

74G gave me 7 days of driving history. 32G would give me 3 days. 16G would give me today and half of yesterday unless I ran errands.

If you can fine me a 32GB IDE SLC that can sustain 100M/Sec for less than $500 then I might take a look.

doubtful that your current HDD is giving you more then 55mb/s. The raptor averages around 75 mb/s ..

doubtful that your current HDD is giving you more then 55mb/s. The raptor averages around 75 mb/s ..

My automotive HD run at 100MBytes / sec.

Model ST980818AM, page 10/50 in this spec sheet: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/ce/EE25%20Series/EE25.2/100448541e.pdf

The same advertised data transfer rate is true for my current drive (WD1600JB) but the seek time is much less that the automotive drive because the spingle speed is 7200 instead of 5400.

I'm going to bolt the dvr onto a piece of OSB and set that flat in the trunk, see if that stops the corruptions.

My automotive HD run at 100MBytes / sec.

Model ST980818AM, page 10/50 in this spec sheet: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/ce/EE25%20Series/EE25.2/100448541e.pdf

The same advertised data transfer rate is true for my current drive (WD1600JB) but the seek time is much less that the automotive drive because the spingle speed is 7200 instead of 5400.

I'm going to bolt the dvr onto a piece of OSB and set that flat in the trunk, see if that stops the corruptions.

the 7200 WD drives (the JB series to be specific) only read around 50-55mb/s, the raptors, their FASTEST Hard drives read average of 75mb/s with 85mb/s being the fastest, those are 10,000 rpm drives.

That 100 might be the max or the burst rate but when comparing to the read and write specs of the SSDs you need to use the average read speed. Download and run HD Tune to really test the average speed, not the max transfer rate or burst rate. The average really tells you the speed of the hard drive. Between the raptor and the JB you can really feel the difference.

Download and run HD Tune to really test the average speed, not the max transfer rate or burst rate. The average really tells you the speed of the hard drive. Between the raptor and the JB you can really feel the difference.

I'll try that, tnx.

So if the WD drive (that has no apparent bandwidth issues) can only sustain 50mb/sec then an SSD that has a "Sustained write speed" of 50mb/sec would be the performance equivalent?

Download and run HD Tune to really test the average speed, not the max transfer rate or burst rate. The average really tells you the speed of the hard drive. Between the raptor and the JB you can really feel the difference.

I'll try that, tnx.

So if the WD drive (that has no apparent bandwidth issues) can only sustain 50mb/sec then an SSD that has a "Sustained write speed" of 50mb/sec would be the performance equivalent?

Im no expert, but i imagine that is about right.

Reason i figure HDD specs dont mention it as much if at all is that most will always be around the same, like a 7200 across the board wont be much diff from the next, 10,000 etc. but with SSD the speeds vary so much, such as for example my soldered on Eee PC SSD is approx 25mb/s and an SD card can run anywhere from 5-18mb/s .. a 4200 rmp HDD around 40-45mb/s .. a USB 5400rmp drive around 40mb/s .. but now they have so many variations and types of SSD going up as fast as 230mb/s (max) ... actually thats it right there ... the SSD specs will have their MAX read I guess .. not sustained, or will spec the sustained separately.

Well, for now the cheapest test is to install the DVR horizontally. It uses up too much trunk space now though.

I'll just have ot wait and see if it corrupts again.

do you have it sitting flat? remember that is a piece of metal spinning around all the time ..

do you have it sitting flat? remember that is a piece of metal spinning around all the time ..

Prior installation:

115668_1.jpg

Now it's sitting flat on a piece of OSB cut to fit the trunk floor. If that solves the corruption issues then I'll make a mounting bracket up under the rear deck / parcel shelf.

(This was taken during installation - the wiring was tidied up for regular use! I also made a false panel from OSB that was covered in trunk carpeting that hid/protected this area. The install was invisible to people looking in the trunk.

Nope. Even when mounted horzontally it still gets corrupted. Out of the last 30 days 3 days worth of video are unusable.

I'm going to try the automotive hard drive again now that the system is horizontal.

Anyone got any better ideas? SSD of the kind of speed required is still very expensive.

i've just swapped it over to flat as well so i'll give you an update in a few days.

was starting to really **** me off as it would cut out 10-15 minutes at a time and ended up missing some important events.

What I'm working on now is installing the 2.5" automotive hard drive back in the 3.5" bay with extra foam cushioning. Basically I put a couple strips of thick antistatic foam in the drive bay, sat teh HD on the foam then marked the outline. Then I cut a recess for the HD to sit in. This doubles the amount of cushioning available for the HD. Plus the HD is rated for 300Gs of *operating* shock.

The other reason I haven't made the jump to SSD is that I'm not convinced my problem is vibration or shock related. The HDs show no bad sectors or SMART errors. I'm thinking power delivery may be an issue. I'm looking at putting in a dedicated fat wire right from the battery, and using the existing power wire to flip a relay instead.

Aver still say they've never seen this issue before. Have you contacted Aver about your issue? support.aver.com My case# is 2132-MAKG-2161 (USA Support team) if your support person claims this issue has never been seen before.

i did fill out an online form about it but not heard back. will try the help desk a bit later.

i'm not sure if its shock that does it or vibration. mine was fairly well padded but adding padding turns shock into vibration.

also i was reading a bit on carmp3 forum about possibly because the shock/vibration is on the same direction as the head movement. ie hardrive fails to control the head.

some of the more power hungry hardrives may have bigger head control coils.

power wise.....mines direct from battery with relay so it operates only when ignition is on.