gooty

HELP NEEDED ASAP (dvr gonna record over crime footage soon)

hi,

after years of hassle from an ASBO neighbour, I finally took the police's advice in July, and bought some cameras.

1 x SECBO SDVR-B-P04 4 Channel CCTV DVR System (500GB HDD Installed)

4 x SONY CCD 24IR CCTV Blakc Dome Cameras

4 x 66 FT (20m) CCTV BLACK Camera Cables

1 x 12V 5A Power Supply AC Adaptor

it came with the software DXClient, but when I connected the DVR by USB cable to either my laptop or desktop pc, it didnt show what the cameras were seeing or what was stored on the HDD.

NB: It worked once for a few minutes, but hasnt since.

the DVR's HDD didnt show up on mycomp like an external HDD usually would, but it was definately being detected as the dvr screen showed this and i also needed to click 'safely remove hardware' in windows when finished.

I contacted the ebay shop where i bought it from (the manufacturer based in HongKong), but gave up trying to sort the problem out after going around and round in circles.

the presence of cameras thankfully acted as a deterent (until 3 days ago).

My problem now is that i urgently need to backup an incident before it records over.

any help much appreciated

In case you can get the footage to play (and you can stop the recording ), I had a similar problem once where I couldnt save the footage on my pc or burn a cd and it was going to over record so I bought some rca cables and replayed the footage to a vcr and recorded it on vhs tape which I was able to give the police (i believe they caught the idiot) but initialy they had to take photographs of the tv screen because I couldnt burn a cd

Stop the recording before you lose it. Next, the only example of th at DVR I could find seems to use:

"Built-in USB2.0 port for video backup to computer. "

Which to me sounds like it needs an external USB hard drive to burn to. Generally DVRs need to format the stick first and then will transfer the data.

In case I'm completely mistaked b/c I'm not personally familair with that DVR what menu options does it have (either on the DVR menu itself or in the manual) for exporting data. Again, I may be completely off base, but directly plugging it into your computer shouldn't be the way you take that data off. It should be to a USB hard drive that you can then hook up to your computer and just drag and drop the file.

hi,

after years of hassle from an ASBO neighbour, I finally took the police's advice in July, and bought some cameras.

1 x SECBO SDVR-B-P04 4 Channel CCTV DVR System (500GB HDD Installed)

4 x SONY CCD 24IR CCTV Blakc Dome Cameras

4 x 66 FT (20m) CCTV BLACK Camera Cables

1 x 12V 5A Power Supply AC Adaptor

it came with the software DXClient, but when I connected the DVR by USB cable to either my laptop or desktop pc, it didnt show what the cameras were seeing or what was stored on the HDD.

NB: It worked once for a few minutes, but hasnt since.

the DVR's HDD didnt show up on mycomp like an external HDD usually would, but it was definately being detected as the dvr screen showed this and i also needed to click 'safely remove hardware' in windows when finished.

I contacted the ebay shop where i bought it from (the manufacturer based in HongKong), but gave up trying to sort the problem out after going around and round in circles.

the presence of cameras thankfully acted as a deterent (until 3 days ago).

My problem now is that i urgently need to backup an incident before it records over.

any help much appreciated

HI gooty.

you cant go usb from dvr to usb on your pc. your pc is windows and your dvr is linux. you need to put a usb memory stick into your dvr and do your back-up to that. then play it on your pc. were are you ???

thanks for all the replies.

the dvr comes in 2 models....

1) USB memory stick backup (which has a menu option to do this),

and my version which is...

2) PC-link USB interface (put a USB cable between the DVR and my PC for backup by software onto my PC's hard drive).

Mine came with 'DX Client' software, which has only managed to detect everything properly once. (tried on my desktop XP, and my laptop Vista)

However, I've just noticed that the pictures in the manual show screen prints of a software with 'PC viewer D6' noted along the top.

cant find a genuine site for this on google.

anyone know where i can get this from to eliminate it as a possible reason?

thanks for all the replies.

the dvr comes in 2 models....

1) USB memory stick backup (which has a menu option to do this),

and my version which is...

2) PC-link USB interface (put a USB cable between the DVR and my PC for backup by software onto my PC's hard drive).

Mine came with 'DX Client' software, which has only managed to detect everything properly once. (tried on my desktop XP, and my laptop Vista)

However, I've just noticed that the pictures in the manual show screen prints of a software with 'PC viewer D6' noted along the top.

cant find a genuine site for this on google.

anyone know where i can get this from to eliminate it as a possible reason?

Hi just down loaded the manual. first remove all software from your pc that you loaded when you installed the disk. then connect your dvr to your pc and wait for icon to come on screen click on it and it will then ask you to install the software.

if you are in the uk the police or the courts will not use your footage. they also need to use the software that came with the dvr. they wont bother.

like said in the other post connect a video recorder to the bnc output and record it from there.

another ebay cctv system. from china. the cost of the dvr with 500g h/d £100 take away the cost of the h/d and the dvr is £50 WHY WHY BUY IT you cant even call it budget system i have paid more for a pair of socks. the most important part of a cctv system is the dvr. this is what holds the footage. the information you have recorder. if you cant get it off just put it in the bin and again if you are in the uk your footage can not be used.

http://www.cctvengineer.com/home%20office.pdf

SORRY ABOUT ME VENTING OFF

I'm really confused Tom. The link you provided said nothing about them not using the footage so long as the person providing it was, in effect, responsible in chioce of equpment and how they used it. Basic stuff anyone installing CCTV should consider (Picture quality, easy equipment to use, ability to export recorded data to appropraite mediums).

I don't know the laws over there so I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but going just off the link you provided it seemed it was just common sense advice to me.

Lastly, spending 100 pounds on a DVR would fall under things they didn't recomment. A 50 dollar DVR from China...well it's going to be a piece of crap and you'll have 0 support from the company for any potential issues (installing, recovering data, tech support).

If you buy a Dell/Mac you know they'll be there to help you ever step of the way, if you go and buy a knock off $100 computer from Bob's Discount Electronics you just don't expect that. Take the same approach to DVRs and security equipment.

I'm really confused Tom. The link you provided said nothing about them not using the footage so long as the person providing it was, in effect, responsible in chioce of equpment and how they used it. Basic stuff anyone installing CCTV should consider (Picture quality, easy equipment to use, ability to export recorded data to appropraite mediums).

I don't know the laws over there so I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but going just off the link you provided it seemed it was just common sense advice to me.

Lastly, spending 100 pounds on a DVR would fall under things they didn't recomment. A 50 dollar DVR from China...well it's going to be a piece of crap and you'll have 0 support from the company for any potential issues (installing, recovering data, tech support).

If you buy a Dell/Mac you know they'll be there to help you ever step of the way, if you go and buy a knock off $100 computer from Bob's Discount Electronics you just don't expect that. Take the same approach to DVRs and security equipment.

Hi dejota. ease of use ......(post, cant remove footage) must play footage back without 3rd party software/ ability to export recorded data to approprite mediums. none of which the secbo sdvr-b-p04 can do.

my point about my post is ebay crap is crap. when cctv was about footage on a video tape end users could not go wrong now with digital end users go for price. or how many flashing lights and how it looks. without looking at the important stuff like ease of use , does it burn to pen/cd/dvd along with the player. people buy cctv for home use to protect them from problems. buying cheap crap only gives you another problem. you have some very good budget systems on the market like the Avermedia 1304 sata or the Avertech both for not alot more money.

Hi dejota. ease of use ......(post, cant remove footage) must play footage back without 3rd party software/ ability to export recorded data to approprite mediums. none of which the secbo sdvr-b-p04 can do.

my point about my post is ebay crap is crap. when cctv was about footage on a video tape end users could not go wrong now with digital end users go for price. or how many flashing lights and how it looks. without looking at the important stuff like ease of use , does it burn to pen/cd/dvd along with the player. people buy cctv for home use to protect them from problems. buying cheap crap only gives you another problem. you have some very good budget systems on the market like the Avermedia 1304 sata or the Avertech both for not alot more money.

Im not aware of any UK legislation that states "must play footage back without 3rd party software" or anything similar.

You should include any playback software required to view footage when you provide the footage, and if possible a guide on how to use the viewer if its not something they are likely to be familiar with.

There are no definate guidelines for what is acceptable cctv footage in court, it is up the the court at the end of the day what they will allow, or not.

I have never had any problem giving the police evidence that requires playback software to be used (such as geovision exports, visimetrics fastar archives).

Yah ebay is a nasty place and they certainly don't make it easy over there. When will this world stop with the rules and satart with the common sense

Im not aware of any UK legislation that states "must play footage back without 3rd party software" or anything similar.

You should include any playback software required to view footage when you provide the footage, and if possible a guide on how to use the viewer if its not something they are likely to be familiar with.

There are no definate guidelines for what is acceptable cctv footage in court, it is up the the court at the end of the day what they will allow, or not.

I have never had any problem giving the police evidence that requires playback software to be used (such as geovision exports, visimetrics fastar archives).

Hi Ken. dvrs like geovision and the like. the police have software to open these folders then THEY put the footage into a format for the courts. now with the system in the original post it has its own (no name) while on my travels around the uk collecting footage i can collect 3-4 a day and only 1 would be able to be used. in birmingham at the police cctv team. they collect 100 a month which only 5% will be used.

so we can keep quiet on here about crap from ebay or educate people thinking of installing cctv as a d-i-y.

in birmingham at the police cctv team. they collect 100 a month which only 5% will be used.

it sounds like those cops need some more training.

If there is no software client or local feature on the DVR that works properly to download/backup the video, you can try:

Playback with the monitor output connected to:

1-VCR

2-DVD Writer

3-USB/PCI Capture Card

Re #3 - you just install the software that comes with it, you now have some "webcam" type drivers on the PC. You can now use something as simple as AMCAP or the variations of it (or spend alot on the big software), the MS one seems to work well, or really any Webcam type software that allows you to record. With AMCAP it will let you to select CAPTURE of the stream from the device. It will be huge with no compression, so do it in parts. Once you have those parts, you can then open up Windows Movie Maker and convert them to standard AVI (or lower quality more compressed WMV) which will decrease it considerably, or download an app called Handbrake that lets you convert files to other formats like MP4.

AMCAP MS version (included in the Windows Media Software)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2aab262d-fe33-4a4e-aaf1-fa1d3ce20d75&DisplayLang=en

Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/

And view this thread for additional info on using AMCAP:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2021

in birmingham at the police cctv team. they collect 100 a month which only 5% will be used.

it sounds like those cops need some more training.

Hi rory. its not training they need. its the dvrs. they remove the h/drive and as soon as they connect it to a pc it wants to format. or just lately on some of the cheap stuff not only do the dvrs have passwords but when you remove the drive and install it into a reader and that is also pass worded. yes the team can spend time and get the footage off but they will not bother for say a shop lifter or a domestic dispute its just not worth it.

Hi rory. its not training they need. its the dvrs. they remove the h/drive and as soon as they connect it to a pc it wants to format. or just lately on some of the cheap stuff not only do the dvrs have passwords but when you remove the drive and install it into a reader and that is also pass worded. yes the team can spend time and get the footage off but they will not bother for say a shop lifter or a domestic dispute its just not worth it.

Why dont they have a portable recorder so when on location they can just grab the video of the monitor output from those trouble DVRs? I use an Eee PC 701SD 7" netbook with [stripped down] XP and a USB TV tuner ... just plug the video into the TV tuner, run WM9CAP.EXE and then capture what I need, in this case to an external USB drive if there is alot of video as this netbook is only 4GB max SSD .. but with a 160GB HDD model you can do what is needed. Take that back to the station and manipulate it as needed.

Hi, I have a secBo DVR as well and no problem with backup using DX client software, when I connect the DVR to the PC via the USB, the computer detects the DVR and you can then use the DXclient to backup the whole HDD to your PC, then it creates a file which is not readable yet, you need to choose the format (MPEG4, AVI etc..) to export the footage.

Can your PC detects the DVR at the first place when you connect the DVR to it? maybe there is a problem with the USB cable??