Secret Lemonade Drinker

Geovision and now installing PTZ

Hi, new here but you guys seem great.

I have a GV600V3 card, and have available a GV-Net and GV-NET/IO card which I have tried in the PC. I cannot get the software (latest from Geo) to see the fact either card is installed on Com1.

Everything seems to be working fine with the system, and when using the IO card, I can trigger the relays so am relatively sure there is nothing wrong with the card, just cant get it to install as a module.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It is definitely com1.

I am a little forward I feel.

I have been able to get the Rx light on the card to flicker when trying a Pelco Dome (which should be the type according to what I have read)

One thing that is slightly confusing, the PTZ control wires are red and white. Which one should be on the + and - terminal on the card??

I believe that the GVNet is needed to act as the interface for the conversion between 232 and the camera.

I got the IO as at some point I would like to set up events, so if a door opened, it could focus on that area.

I cant seem to get the camera to respond, but am not sure if is the configuration, or if something is up with the camera. When the camera is powered down, and then powered up, it does go through a initialisation routine where it moves about. I think every thing is connected right, I just cant get it to work.

you should also know that just because the PTZ supports Pelco protocol does not mean it will work. Geo has a list if you ask of all of the cameras it has problems with even using Pelco protocol and the list is quite long.

I can understand the compatibility issues that Geo or any other cards I have encountered have since it would be impractical to test all possible hardware configurations. But, once you have tested successfully with a certain configuration, I would think they would do regression testing on any future hardware of software releases. I have run into compatibility issues just moving from 5.4 to 6.1 with same hardware, but have also run into 5.4 working on one (for example) ASUS board, but not another ASUS model which is very similar, same chipset but maybe different bus speed. Some recommend nVidia mx440 cards, other ATI. Give me a sure fire configuration which is using a 3.0+ gHz cpu and I will stick with it until told otherwise.

Heres a sure fire,,, bur a standalone, least you know its ready to rock aand roll, failing that heres what i recommend

CPU------- Best you can get, stear clear of Duron etc

Mainboard-------- Intel Branded or asus with latest Intel chip

HDD ----------- Seagate with buffer and long warranty

Case ----------- Antec with fans at the front and back, side mounting the drives for cooling

Power ------------- UPS with software restart/shutdown and a good Antec TrueWave Powersupply

Ram-------------- Corsair Twinx

VGA Card ------------ Depends on if the DSP card is used but Latest ATI should be fine.

Heres a sure fire,,, bur a standalone, least you know its ready to rock aand roll, failing that heres what i recommend

CPU------- Best you can get, stear clear of Duron etc

Mainboard-------- Intel Branded or asus with latest Intel chip

HDD ----------- Seagate with buffer and long warranty

Case ----------- Antec with fans at the front and back, side mounting the drives for cooling

Power ------------- UPS with software restart/shutdown and a good Antec TrueWave Powersupply

Ram-------------- Corsair Twinx

VGA Card ------------ Depends on if the DSP card is used but Latest ATI should be fine.

Thanks for info, but I was under impression with GEO, there are timing issues with anything aside Intel.

And you define a stand-alone as .......

Thanks

You might try using the pelco p and not the d . When I wired up a pelco spectra II I could not get it to work using pelco d but resetting both the cam and geo to pelco p it worked.

I have tried varying pelco protocols.

The company that sold the camera says beside the very camera can be controlled by GeoVision. So if not compatible, I would be somewhat annoyed.

When installing the PTZ, I have connected the various cables, power, serial etc, and in the software I have selected in the general setup tab, where you can select the PTZ cameras Pelco, and activated it. I have set the address of the camera at 10, and when rying to control the PTZ the address near the controls is set to 10.

As you have done the PTZ before, could you run through how you got PTZ working with your varying setups, and make it as simple as you can please. If you could start from the position of having the geo card installed and working, but no add ons. This would help me I think as I might be missing a step.

Note to self. When buying a PTZ always buy a PTZ from the same manufacturer as the DVR, for less issues, plug and play. Otherwise be prepared for problems like this.

What is the make of camera?

We use Lilin with no problem but as installers we have access to a Joystick controller which we usually use to set the presets & tours. This lets us prove the telemetry seperate from the computer (its also quicker on presets). Can you get access to a joystick/keyboard to test your camera?

Are you sure the camera address is set to 10 ? I had one of my installers who wasted hours because he had the dip switches the wrong way & camera number was 64 not 1 as he thought.

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/ptz_dome.htm

This is the camera, which does use Pelco D as its protocol so I have read. I dont have access to a keyboard controller.

I am 99.9% sure that the address is set correctly, certainly the dip switches are set to what they should be, although I will reverse position of the switches, just in case of a printing error etc.

OK, after having a little think, I tried using address 0 even thought the camera was set for address 1. It works.

Now just a little thing at the moment is when I zoom in, the brightness of the camera goes bezerk and the image becomes very very bright and useless. I appreciate that the camera uses a digital zoom so the image will get distorted when at the maximum zoom.

Also then when zooming out the camera pans to the left. Are these little things that occur when doing an install of a PTZ camera?? lol.

I have used these cameras with their own controllers for simple installations & they seem to work O.K.

This is quite a simple camera & should work O.K. but I haven't tried it with Geo.

Iris & focus should adjust automatically.

Are these little things that occur when doing an install of a PTZ camera?? lol.

No. that is a very very very cheap Dome camera, it actually looks like one of those toys they sell in the local mall stores as PTZ for like $500. Dont expect it to perform like a real PTZ camera which can cost from $1000-3000.

Rory, just so you know, I appreciate one gets what one pays for, but there are times when it is handy to be able to alter the field of view, so this sorts that out whilst still being on a budget. Maybe later on in life I will get a better one.

I know a great deal of you are suppliers, and cant divulge certain information, but for future reference, where is a good source of CCTV equipment on a more domestic, discreet style??

no prob dude, we sell the cheap stuff too, just we let the client know ahead of time what is possible to conspire.

anyway, where are you located, UK or US ..?

Oh okay, well, Baywatch, CCTVInstaller, Cooperman, antdickens, they are all in the Uk, so may be able to help on that side.

Rory

Agree with Rory, the unit is cheap, but I have some working in small shops where the owners merely want to zoom in on the cash register & maybe pan between 2 cash registers on the same counters.

They work o.k. for that & just let the owner zoom in without the staff knowing.

The image quality is good if the lighting is stable.

Horses for coarses

I can understand the compatibility issues that Geo or any other cards I have encountered have since it would be impractical to test all possible hardware configurations. But, once you have tested successfully with a certain configuration, I would think they would do regression testing on any future hardware of software releases. I have run into compatibility issues just moving from 5.4 to 6.1 with same hardware, but have also run into 5.4 working on one (for example) ASUS board, but not another ASUS model which is very similar, same chipset but maybe different bus speed. Some recommend nVidia mx440 cards, other ATI. Give me a sure fire configuration which is using a 3.0+ gHz cpu and I will stick with it until told otherwise.

Amen Brother...