FredB

ISC Show, What was new and interesting

Spent 2 days at the show, and came back yesterday.

Couple of interesting things.

1. HD Cameras. A few companies are starting to manufacture CCTV HD cameras, and the quality is just amazing!! Almost like watching TV. Of course the problrm is DVR recording resulotion, file size, streaming speed etc. but give it some time. I think that is where CCTV is going.

2. Intelligent camera tracking motion software. Not a totally new concept but really expensive before. Is being built in to the dvr and a lot cheaper, better etc.

3. License plate capturing cameras made more affordable. Can't afford Extreme CCTV's reg view.

Found better pricing on the HUNT DVR's. See dealer section

What did you see regarding the Licence Capture, was it Wide Dynamic cameras, from Like Samsung, etc, with alot of added Light ..? If so, we tried all that down here, doesnt capture the plates 100% of the time, more like 60%, so we have gone with REG-L from Extreme, guarenteed 24/7 no extra setup time on our part, no extra lighting.

Unless there is something else ..

Spent two days there also. Surveillance equipment was definitely the theme! .... Very little access control or alarm stuff. Alot of SOS at the smaller booths. As FredB stated the latest and greatest thing seemed to be "Intelligent" cameras also a big push on IP cams although most systems were hybrids.

Honeywell had an interesting IP system. 4 camera that plugged into small box which did all the grunt work before passing on to PC via wireless router. Kind of an external capture card with some memory and the ability to hook up both IP and standard cameras. Passes the encoded video over to PC for display, recording, etc... residential or small business system which also integrated into an existing alarm system.

There was a couple accessory type firms which had some really great housings and different type mounts for just about any application. Pelco, of course had the biggest display, pushing Optic fiber, intelligent cams / software, and hybrid systems integrating IP into current configurations. Good show, but didnt see anything not currently available on the market in some capacity.

Oh, and a couple other things...(hey, you asked).

Intellicam had a slick little dvr. It basically looks like a 15" screen hanging on a wall with 8 bnc inputs and a couple outputs. In fact it appears to be a laptop with the screen turned around (no keypad though). I would like to find out who developed the capture device. It was a standalone system but they had IP cameras hooked up to it. I asked them why they are using IP cameras to promote a DVR and the explanation was a bit of douple-speak, in other words, no reason other than to push two products.

Which leads to this question. They, along with other vendors had IP cams without any storage. I thought that was one of the perks for IP's over standard cams with DVR. Let the camera be server and recorder, and retrievals can be requested from any PC. The DVR folks were pushing the "not secure" of IPs to remain with DVRs. IP folks claimed DVRs were Dead ..... Didnt see any VCR folks claiming anything, nor did I see some, but know there are plenty of people out there using them and still selling them, once again foiling any attempt by any of these vendors that there is a total solution.

I saw that LCD/ DVR to. Prtty slick. It's made by Argus also, just like every other DVR Intellicam has. They also has this new 4/8/16 DVR (by Argus) that uses JPG 2000. Had Argus demo it for me, and the recording quality looks good, kind of like a good Wavelet with no blocks.

Rory,

I had Powertech (or Powert...) demo that 4 channel DVR with the RCA connectors you reviewed. The recording quality of that thing is really great! Though that was the highligt of the DVR. What did you think of the recording quality?

high recording quality ... it uses MJpeg though .. either way, cant beat the price.

did anyone see powertellecomm's barebone DVR board?

Saw it. Diden't quite get the point of it though.

For me .. duty free DVR board, so I save a few hundred$$ on that, then I can stick it in any PC Power Case, and even an empty Ademco Alarm Panel.

Was at the show for 3 days and alot of intelliegent cameras. Also checked out the pelco endura system not new but pretty interesting. The license capturing extreme cctv had a pretty good one but not the best. There was a company there but I do not have there name with me right now it is in the brief case; that captured license number and put the numbers in the hardrive. I think for every second it produced 10-15 number quote. It sometimes didn't capture one number.

Was at the show for 3 days and alot of intelliegent cameras. Also checked out the pelco endura system not new but pretty interesting. The license capturing extreme cctv had a pretty good one but not the best. There was a company there but I do not have there name with me right now it is in the brief case; that captured license number and put the numbers in the hardrive. I think for every second it produced 10-15 number quote. It sometimes didn't capture one number.

Its not the DVR or Software, its the camera that matters. Thats where Extreme rules. You can download software for free to be used for Licence Capture which is why spending money on a special LPR DVR is a waste of money, especially since all it is, is PC based and a text capturing software.

Its not the DVR or Software, its the camera that matters. Thats where Extreme rules. You can download software for free to be used for Licence Capture which is why spending money on a special LPR DVR is a waste of money, especially since all it is, is PC based and a text capturing software.

It is the camera that was very good also. It picked up reflection from the license plate just like the extreme cctv camera. Extreme cctv said it can capture up to 60 mph. Rory you have more exprience in license plate recognition. I think the company I am talking about is a going to be a big compeitor for extreme cctv.

did you get a name??

There are a few of them out there, though they dont use traditional CCTV cameras, they just do image capture, snap shots. This is probably what you saw. I had some links lying around, will have to look them up. They are used on several highways in the US, but mostly in europe and South Africa.

Ya I have the name, but I have to sort out the brief case first. This is just like the extreme cctv camera, but they had a package where you buy camera, monitor, software and computer. But I asked would the camera work by itself and he told me yes it is just like Extreme CCTV.

JESIS ... thats like .. ouch ... may as stick to Extreme ..

They have a DVR also for Licence Capture, but Im not using that, Im just using a Real Time PC card ..if the client wants more we can add in some APN software ..actually im going to look around for that again .. it was free ...

Maybe the lpr system you saw at the show was from INEX Technologies? http://www.inextek.com/privacy.html They have a great system that captures license plates on vehicles traveling at very high speeds (up to 80MPH).

It actually was this company, I am still sorting all of my paper work.

I usually try to keep myself in the dealer section only, but I wanted to briefly mention the benefits of our new DVR "motherboard," JANUS. Its benefits probably don't apply to everyone on this board (except for its cost savings which is usually the most important factor), but it's up to you to decide if the product provides any value for you and your customers:

- Shipping cost savings compared to regular stand-alone DVRs

- Customs duty savings (computer boards have lower tax than DVRs)

- Installers can install the board in any PC case (with a USB port - for remote control IR sensor unit) of his/her choice. Then by putting the company logo on it, you now have your own stand-alone DVR solution.

- The unit could even be wall mounted or custom cases be developed for non-standard applications.

- Most importantly, COST. PM or email me for dealer pricing.

Interestingly enough, this product was the highlight of the show for us, especially for international customers. However, I do understand FredB's point as well...

In case you're wondering about its availability, we're looking at mid May for samples in limited quantities and full production in three months. Thanks.