dejota

Feedback from Installers Please!

Hello,

I work for a manufacturer and I recently got a major distributor/installer to give me a chance to considering switching over to our company. To be blunt, I'm still way to green to be making this kind of presentation and the obvious benefit to switching (saving money) is not even going to make this company bat an eye. I was hoping to speak with a seasoned veteran in detail about some of the larger manufacturers/distributers of CCTV and hopefully get an insight to some of their shortcomings and pitfalls so I can compare them to our company and come up with some ideas for the presentation.

I tried getting help from another salesman here and his best "angle" was they could brand our products as their own...and I just don't see how that brings enough to the table to consider a major change in a pretty large company.

Anyways, if you think you could help me with this please PM me for my email address so we can discuss this further.

If somehow this violates the rules of the forum: DOUBLE APOLOGY!!!!! I'm just trying to get a better feel for this industry since my company's insight thus far has been handing me stacks of paperwork and sticking me in a cubicle and hoping I come out a CCTV expert (with six figure sales to boot...)

EDIT: More info: One major catch is the company isn't neccissarily unhappy with their current people, I'm just either lucky or struck a chord and he liked me and decided to give me a chance to make a pitch. After an initial discussion yesterday for about an hour he reported little to no frustrations with his current vendors.

I think this could be a good topic for open discussion - if I follow what you're getting at, essentially you're asking, what do installers look for in their CCTV equipment? What makes an installer happy, or pisses him off? Do correct me if I'm reading your question wrong.

First thing I'd ask is, what do you manufacture? DVRs, cameras, accessories, etc...? All of the above? I could give you a lot more ideas about cameras, for example, than DVRs.

I really could be a great a open topic.

And yes, that's essentially what I'm asking for. For this particular situation there are some details and specifics (companies I'm competeing against and information the guy revealed over the phone I don't feel comfortable posting in a forum) that change the dynamics a little bit. But as for the general topic itself I really could use any schooling out there. Like I said I've been handed things suchs as "Glossary of CCTV terms" and "Networking 101".

We do some IP, but mostly its DVRs, cameras (every type), some spy cameras (motion detector, home guards and mini domes), then all the misc stuff (wiring, power supply, housing, monitors and brackets). Our quality is middle of the road from what I can tell. Our lower end products are fairly decent (nothing below 420 TVL, Sony 1/3" chips in everything, and on most every camera you can get LEDs/Hi-Res/Varifocal lenses for only a few dollars more) and our best products wouldn't be considered cutting edge technology. As I mentioned, the best thing about our company is our pricing. From what I have been able to gather, our lowest prices are on par with other companies but our specs for those products (such as resolution, the chipsets and lux ratings) are an upgrade over most companies "cheaper" products.

Our DVRs aren't going to really impact the decision one way or the other, IMO. They're cheap (pricing wise), fairly good quality, but we're lacking when it comes to features. We offer everything your average user would ever need, but when it comes to the bells and whistles it stops and ends with the compression technology. And thanks to the many different versions of compression and the crap quality that's out there, terms such as H.264 have become nothing more than a glittering generality.

Anyways, sorry for the novel and if any of it was just rambling nonsense from somebody still new to the field. Hope it helps.

Well, I'll start off with some of my likes and peeves when it comes to cameras, especially domes. As an installer, probably 80% of my "WTF were they thinking" moments come from cameras that appear to have been entirely designed by engineers with no concept of actually WORKING with them.

Case in point: Panasonic WV-CW484, one of the finest super-dynamic-range dome cameras around. Brilliant in almost all aspects except for one: when you plug into the camera's service port, it disconnects the main video output (WTF), and *disables the SDIII setup in the menus (WTF?!?!). Now, Super Dynamic III is really this camera's claim to fame, and to NOT be able to configure that function while working from the service port is nothing short of utter stupidity, IMHO.

Pelco's great for design brain farts as well... like using a 2.5mm (sub-mini) TS connector for their service port (requiring yet another cable or adapter)... then not actually including even a stub cable with the camera to allow you to connect it to any sort of common monitor connector (RCA or BNC)... and on their IS90 indoor domes, the service port is buried way down in the bottom of the camera where any but the thinnest plug won't even fit. On the IS-110 outdoor domes, the service port is nice and accessible, on a bracket immediately above the lens... which means in most instances, your cable is going to hang down right in your field of view.

One of biggest ones has got to be the utter lack of adjustability in most domes. Take another Pelco genius design, for example: the ICS-111/IS-110 domes. They have a three-axis (sort of) setup that basically gives you full hemispheric adjustment... but if you're within that last three or four degrees of the side of the camera, the housing around the dome blocks the edge of the view, basically making it impossible to use the camera to look straight down a wall. You can adjust the camera to do it - barely - but once you close the dome up, you lose part of your view. Come to think of it, the IS90s suffer from the same problem.

Ironically, some of the cheapest cameras out there have some of the most intelligent physical designs. All the CNB domes I've used, for example, work great for looking back down a wall, because they have the range of motion, and the dome doesn't get in the way. They also put a "standard" (somewhat - standard as in, a lot cameras are using it now) easily-accessible two-pin service connector, *on the back board* (not on the camera gimbal), and *include* a short cable with an RCA jack with every camera. Sure, I have sh*tloads of them now, but it's better than being stuck with NONE.

Here's another good one... it's not on a CCTV product per se, but on a keypad for an entry system: they include a pair of oddball esoteric security screws with each keypad... BUT NOTHING THAT WILL DRIVE THEM. Not a driver bit, not an Allen key, nothing. These screws get tossed out from every single install, because I have nothing to drive them with. I have a security-bit sets with some three dozen different "tamperproof" tips, and nothing that fits these goofy keypads' screws.

Okay, so how does all this ranting apply to your needs? Well... if you're selling to these guys on an installer's level, you biggest selling point should be, intelligence of design and how it will make the installer's life easier. IMHO, anyway. It's the little things that count... things like, captive screws for dome closure. A common and easily-accessible service port that doesn't get in the way. Full range of adjustment and full hemispheric view. If you're going to use tamperproof screws, include a tool for driving them (bits are generally preferable to Allen keys, for me... but if in doubt, include both).

In short: if you're CNB and my existing supplier is Pelco, forget about price difference, you've got a lock with me

I've got lots more (like the Pelco box cams that put the BNC jack in such a tight place you can't get a T-connector on it), but that should be enough to get things started

Thank You! Excellent post.

Tons to research there and compare to my products but certainly a starting point and a conversation starter. This is exactly what I'm looking for. If I can come up with 3 or 4 similar ideas, just things that might be a thorn in this guys side, it's a lot more likely to turn into a conversation as opposed to the original call which was merely a history lesson for his company and CCTV. I think if he can see that I put in the research and grunt work to try and solve issues he wasn't aware he was having I'll have a very nice in.

PS: Any samsung/speco users out there?

- Where appropriate, IP protocols should include a "Test" feature in the configuration menu. Examples include NTP, FTP, and SMTP. When configuring FTP, for example, a "Test" button would ensure the configuration is correct by performing an actual ftp. Without a "Test" feature, you must create an artificial alarm of some sort to test the protocol configuration, which adds to the tedium of setting up a new configuration.

- When reporting lux values, manufacturers should include the shutter speed. Some of the better manufacturers include the IRE, which is also helpful.

Best,

Christopher

This does not apply to your equipment, but here is my "general" wish list.

DVRs

If the menu requires setting it up with a mouse then provide a mouse with the package. I may have one in my kit, but the customer feels "cheated" if I take mine, and they feel put off having to go to the store to buy one. At least this will get them to the store to buy the battery back up system too!

Have the DVR set to record right out of the box. It sucks thinking you have checked all of the boxes to get it to record only to find out it did not record video. I was tricked a long time ago because the DVR required that I also go in to time schedule and place S for schedule, or an M for motion, or to highlight with a color that represents motion, or 24/7 recording.

It would be nice to get the installation finished and to do a dog and pony show to teach the buttons, and to show how to play past history even though much may not have been recorded after the set up.

Please make the DVR menu easy to navigate, and to read. I can figure things out for myself, but the customer has to be comfortable with the equipment. The more intuitive the better. If I have to sit down with a manual for an hour and then try to explain to the customer how to operate it then it is going to be difficult!

Video loop outs for the DVR! I do not need them most of the time, but every now and then it comes in handy.

Full size remote controls. It appears to me that customers do not like "credit card" remote controls. They appear cheap, or they do not take the press of a button requiring to press it again.

Spacing between the BNC connectors to allow easy cable removal for technical support, or to rearrange the camera order.

A selection to silence relays. Such as for Private investigators who are hiding DVRs for covert ops. Nothing worse then silencing a buzzer, but a relay clicks to activate an alarm out.

DVRs that do not format a hard drive upon insertion. Sometime I remove hard drives to "keep the video" and I install another temp hard drive. When I reinstall the hard drive the video may get wiped out.

Bigger fans so that we do not listen to "jet engine" tiny fans screaming like a wind tunnel.

Common voltages such as 19 volt, or 12 volts. It would be nice if the power jack would work with the laptop power supplys that come with multi tips. Great for testing, or replacing broken or lost power supplys. 12 volt would be great for a temp auto recorder for LE (law enforcement) situations, or for remote setups where you need to run off of batteries. (FPL charges $240.00 to provide power off a pole)!

Screw on rubber legs. I hate the cheap rubber nubs that have weak glue holding them on. You push the DVR back on a wire rack shelf, and pop! There goes one of the legs, and now you have a teeter totter!

Please print the mac address on a sticker rather than having to go in to the menu to read it.

Camera privacy would be nice so that the employees will not see a camera on the monitor.

Provide a hardware reset. (It is ok if you hide it from the general public, just let us tech know where it is). Make a pdf to show how to use it.

Provide power supply schematics, and use common parts so that we can make repairs.

Allowing the DVR to control the PTZ cameras through the menu buttons. (Some DVR will control PTZ by remote, but not through the front panel).

PTZ presets through the front panel. I can match presets with a local control panel. When they use the controller it will have presets, and when they use a remote computer the presets will be the same as what they are used to from a controller.

Remote audio would be nice.

Easy conversion to AVI would be nice.

Provide video alternatives for Apple computers (Active X issues).

Put in the manual how to set up a computer to except unsigned active x so that "joe off the street" can get video over lan, and wan. (This should be fun for XP, Vista, and now Win 7).

- Help screens and documentation: Documentation such as "Bandwidth Setting: Used to set the bandwidth" is unacceptable. Bandwidth of what? Each feature and each setting should have an explanation that makes it unambiguously understandable for the average installer.

- f stop: all zoom/varifocal lenses and cameras sold with zoom/varifocal lenses should include the f stop for both ends, not just the widest aperture.

Best,

Christopher

One word of advice. "You have to know your own product!!!", not necessarily inside and out but all features and how it compares to others.

That's essentially what I'm asking. With everyone basically the same in many installers/distributors eyes how can I separate my products from the others. I can know my product all day long but that doesn't mean I know what issues could potentially make a large company genuinly considering switching manufacturers.

I mean the prices are all essentially the same at the lower end. Either that or the 4000 people I've called since November are just lazy and retarded. Otherwise I'd have a lot higher hit rate on the people that have seen my prices that call me back.

From all I can tell our prices aren't being blown away by other competitors but it's to the point where the difference is no longer game changing. At least not to the point that they wanting to make a change.

So now that I'm presented an opportunity to talk with a potentially big client I need to find out what these big guys are (or aren't) bringing to the table.

Specs wise my stuff blows everyone elses lower end gear out of the water...but again what does that really mean to the installer/distributor with all the crap that's out there. As so many of you are quick to point in other threads, what's being advertised usually isn't what's being delivered. You've all become skeptics and understandably so. That still leaves the unanswered question, what can I do and look at that could potentially set me apart.

That's essentially what I'm asking. With everyone basically the same in many installers/distributors eyes how can I separate my products from the others. I can know my product all day long but that doesn't mean I know what issues could potentially make a large company genuinly considering switching manufacturers.

This is an excellent question, one that every business owner should ask. However, when selling widgets, you won't find the answer to this question in the widget forum. I can give you a couple of excellent references to point you in the right direction.

1. "The E-Myth: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What To Do About It" by Michael Gerber

2. "Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business" by Jay Levinson

I highly recommend both of these books for the small business owner.

Best,

Christopher

Not to sound cheap, but in a skeptical market, a product/supplier who claims to "blow the competition away" needs to provide free or low cost samples to respected members of the industry. A prime example of this is the hand tool and power tool industry. They send out samples to be used by professionals so they can get feedback and support.

Of course this can be very costly but, if the product really is zounds above its competition, your return will come by word of mouth and references.

I am not an installer but, I am here to listen and learn from these guys. If they say it's good, I'll most likely believe them.

EDIT: I couldn't think of how to say it last night but here it is. You need to eliminate the risk of trying something new and/or add an incentive to try something new. (That's why phone companies usually offer to pay to switch you both ways... so you have nothing to lose by trying.) If you have a product you're happy with, what to expect fron it, and how to work with it, you'd need an incentive to change to/try another product. "Can't you see how much better my product is?!?!", doesn't usually cut it.

I have an interesting idea!

How about creating some TV comercials and leaving blanks space in the sound where a "local" CCTV shop could put their name and address in to the commercial.

The same for radio commercials.

I am thinking of the "generic" commercials that Ford, Chevy, and the others create, and then the local dealer adds their info to it.

This would make a distributor push your product as the independant shops would love to appear more "professional".

You could give territories to limit the "local" cctv shop, or you could set it up where it list all of the shops.

Just like those promoted "as seen on TV ads" Available at your local X drug stores, Y mart, and your Z brand shopping store.

Perhaps take a group of "local" dealers, and a percentage of the purchases gives them points toward the local area marketing.

This would put the CCTV world on end!

What do you think?

COP - I agree that would be ideal, but it's just not cost-effective. I know from my end our profit margines are getting so razor thin due to all the cheapo crap out there there's just no way that could be profitable. Especially when you can demo the picture quality over the net or in an email.

Plus I'm having trouble imagining what exactly sending out a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment would really bring to the table. Let's say we send out 100 of the packages, how many of those people would be able to plug in our stuff, take a look at it and go oh...they've got 70 more lines of resolution and the 1/3" chipset as opposed to the 1/4". Sure there might be a few people that can eyeball that, but at the end of the day I don't think it's an efficient way to communicate differences that'll change many people's mind. I do agree you're on the right track, I'm just wondering if there's not a more effective means to communicate the subtle differences.

Scorpion - That just gave me some funny mental images. "If I can beat your new CCTV surveillance system, I'M JUST GONNA GIVE IT TO YOU!"

or another good one that popped in there. "I'm a 5th generation surveillance expert. Let me put my family's years of hard work, detication and experience to you're good use!"

That said, that idea would apply to a distributor more than me. Our clients are so spread out and many of them market our products with their brand name on it that it also wouldn't be effective. But that would be hillarious to see!

I thought putting in those "commercials" would be a way for the good companies to stand out, and to shut out what are called "trunk thumpers".

I think this would band people together to buy from a manufacture, or from a dist.

Is there some way for a manu, or a dist to set up what Microsoft has with Updates, and knowlege bases?

It would be nice to be able to update DVRs in an easy fashion, or to allow the consumer to do it themselves. One could always password protect the site, and make it dealer only to lock out "trunk thumpers".

I am suprised that a group of dealers have not all chipped in and agreed to pay X dollar amount per month and to do some kind of marketing for a large city, or a region.

I agree a problem is the razor thin margins for products. When Walmart started price gouging TV prices it shook the industry to it knees. Circuit City was on the bad end of the stick, but even the mom n pop shops cannot compete with WM pricing anymore.

What will we do if WM starts displaying higher end CCTV products with installation, and under cuts the market?

The bottom is going to fallout from under the CCTV world soon. Yes, businesses will be effected, and some will go out of business, or change to other profitable products, but the consumer will be the one effected. I read on the forum constantly "help dealer went out of biz, and I need....". This will quadruple if the bottom goes out. A lot of us will not feel bad if the bad apples close shop, but guess who survives without any pain?

The trunk thumper! No store front, no rent, no overhead, no payroll, no insurance, no business mortgage, ect. He just install speakers, or whatever while waiting for the next CCTV job. It would really hurt to see fellow forum names starting to drop from going out of business, or switching to other profitable products.

How do we save ourselves? That would give the poster a true measure of how he can be of "assistance" to dealers, or to big reps.

The problem with video and picture samples is you (as a buyer) never really know what the source was.

I have a site in mind right now that I loved at first because they posted samples from the various cameras but, the quality seems to look the same to me (maybe my untrained eye). It got me to thinking perhaps they weren't being 100% honest. Well that and the fact that camera headline didn't always match the detail (typos or bait and switch?).

I'm probably reading too much into the above case but you never really know what will turn a buyer away.

It's probably both. Subtle differences are hard to noticed for most in my experience and many of the samples I've seen online are exactly as you describe. Another issue is that many samples are taken in completely ideal circumstances for the camera. The right conditions can make some really crappy cameras look really good.

I also have the advantage of having a set up right at my desk so if anyone needs samples I can swap out the camera in about two seconds and just take a screen shot or have them just stream the entire process. I've even done that on an iPhone with my newest client and it really does go a long way. He's going to have a set up in his store where his customers can come stream me anytime from an iPhone to see for themselves. He seems to believe this will be a major selling point for him. I hope for both of our sakes he's right. That and we're still waiting on the factory before we'll have the iPhone H.264s ready for the 8 and 16 channel DVRs.

I digress and I should get back to the cold calls anyways. I'm liking this thread btw, great idea Soundy.

Whoa, don't blame me, you started this!

Some interesting stuff going on here, but let's not forget the original query: dejota works for a manufacturer and wants to sell his products to a distributor/installer company, and was looking for selling points to highlight that would be attractive to installers... Things that he can say, "Look, as installers, I know you'll appreciate these features...."

True Soundy,

But unless the developers are going out and doing installs to see how user-friendly they are, they need installer feedback. You can't get installer feedback (except for the general ideas such as the ones you gave) without getting your product into the hands of experienced/respected installers (amatures and startups won't carry much weight for references but can give valuable feedback). Experienced installers (yes, I am using "installers" to refer to guys who install the camera systems for a living) tend to have preferred products already. Why would you risk your reputation and customer reference on a new product unless you had incentive?

That said... a simple pitch such as, "our product is designed by and for installers", would help... if there is some truth to it.

I suspect many installers are paid by the job, not by the hour (the few I know bid per job) therefore anything that helps to get that camera up and running fast would be a big help. "Time is money."

The warranty on the install would help determine camera choice also. Am I going to be the one going out to the site each time the customer wants a minor adjustment or do I want end-user friendly equipment that I can guide them through adjustments over the phone?

Maybe I'd want a camera that minimizes the use of supplies/consumables? Maybe it works well with cheaper cable? (yes, I am shot gunning here.) Easily swapped out? Can the firmwear be upgraded?

How about modular? Something that allows you to "create your own camera" without the need to extensive training or tools? I would think this could save both the manufacturer and the installers lots of money and time. Reaching here but... select your camera body/frame, then pop in the CCD module, the interface module, the power module, wireless module, lense mount, etc??? Camera acting up? No problem... pop in a new ____ module and you're good to go. Customer wants to upgrade... no problem. Application conditions change... no problem.

I know... either you can already do this (and I didn't know... big surprise) or it's a pie in the sky.

Did I ever mention I have done a lot of process and product improvement work over the years? My moto is "Laziness is the mother of invention"... as in there is always a way to make a process (and it's associated products) easier and more efficient. It comes from being a salaried employee for many years (paid by the one big job) and kaizen type training.

True Soundy,

But unless the developers are going out and doing installs to see how user-friendly they are, they need installer feedback. You can't get installer feedback (except for the general ideas such as the ones you gave) without getting your product into the hands of experienced/respected installers (amatures and startups won't carry much weight for references but can give valuable feedback).

I was more referring to the fact that the thread was turning into more of a "wish list".

All important discussions, but getting off-track for this thread, and really probably deserving of their own threads.

mmm... I'm not too sure it's off topic.

Wish list = wants/preferences

Match preferences with product qualities and there's your pitch.

That's the short version or you can read on for my usual long-winded version.

The bigger the wish list, the easier it should be for him to find qualities about his product that fit the needs of the installers... even if his product lacks some of the basic "wants".

For example, he could say "includes pig tail adapter for common interface tools for convenience" but leave out the fact you may have to take the camera apart to get at the ports.

Listing qualities that should be obvious or assumed could give him a leg up over manufacturers who don't bother with the detail. Case in point... my thread about lenses for a panasonic camera. The Panasonic lens double the cost of the lens I was thinking about going with. Panasonic fails to list (or maybe doesn't have) several details the other much cheaper lens did list. This lead me to assume the Panasonic is mostly priced by brand recognition, not performance. I'm sure if I dug harder, I could get more specs on the lens to compare apples to apples but at first look, Panasonic is relying on it's name to make the sale.

Yet another example: Why do you think car dealers bother to list "power breaks" and "power steering" on car tags despite the fact you'd be hard pressed to get a car without them these days? Mostly it's to add an inflated sense of value but it's also to avoid issues such as (extreme case here) "so and so's BMW's come with P/B and P/W but the other guy's does not".

All that said, build a wish list. The worst that can happen is he takes notice and fills as many of the wishes as he can. Otherwise he's just another marketing person saying his product is better because someone else said so. Heck, if I were him, I'd do a HUGE survey of installers to find out what features they look for, what features are deal breakers, and what improvements they would recommend. I'd be willing to bet there is a lot of low-hanging fruit they could grab to set themselves apart.

I see where you're coming from COP. The line about just being another person just saying my product was better because somebody told me so struck home. That's sorta the reason I'm asking you guys is because that's basically what my company has done.

I'm saying that I can't discern the differences or they're not obvious. Sure I have everyone's prices beat by a couple of dollars, but for many of the same reasons you listed that's just not enough for most people to give my company a fair shake. I don't have the resources to do samples or mass poll a bunch of people. They already are annoyed I'm calling trying to introduce my product line I don't know if I'd have much luck getting them to take 10-20 minutes unless they're incredibly frustrated and have to vent...in which case they probably are the 5% that does take the time to review my company and ultimately calls me back.

I guess to rephrase the question: With everything in the market practically identical upon first glance (pricing, specs, etc.), what would be a key feature or something I could bring to the table that would make you take a second look?

mmm... I'm not too sure it's off topic.

Wish list = wants/preferences

Match preferences with product qualities and there's your pitch.

That's the short version or you can read on for my usual long-winded version.

The bigger the wish list, the easier it should be for him to find qualities about his product that fit the needs of the installers... even if his product lacks some of the basic "wants".

Oh I know, but it's gotten beyond that and into "Oo, it would be nice if it did this and that..."

All that said, build a wish list. The worst that can happen is he takes notice and fills as many of the wishes as he can. Otherwise he's just another marketing person saying his product is better because someone else said so.

I'm all for that, just saying it might be better served in its own thread. This one isn't for wish-fulfillment, this one is "what features ALREADY EXIST that you like?"

Heck, if I were him, I'd do a HUGE survey of installers to find out what features they look for, what features are deal breakers, and what improvements they would recommend. I'd be willing to bet there is a lot of low-hanging fruit they could grab to set themselves apart.

Following that up, if the OP, as a manufacturer representative, were to actually start a "wish list" thread... and then have some of that feedback actually make it into the design and manufacturing chain... that would be a rare thing indeed! Not unheard-of, but rare... that would be a selling point in itself - a manufacturer that actually openly solicits public suggestions, and responds to them publicly. Many do say, "email us your ideas!" and then respond with a boilerplate "thanks, we'll keep it in mind", but actual open interaction with them would be a wonderful thing.

This is what we look for

1/ Support - it must be available easily and in many time zones

2/ Development - the manufactorer must be spending money on improving its products

3/ Stock availability - they have to HOLD stock in each state and territory

4/ Warranty - minimum 3yrs

5/ Product Lifecycle support - available support/parts/replacements for years after product is ended

6/ Technical resource web portal - easy access to manuals/pricing/demos/spec sheets through a web portal

7/ Credit terms - having millions in recievables means the longer and larger your credit terms are with the supplier the better.

8/ Ease of install - time is money so the easier the product to support and install the better

9/ Commitment to advertising - no point selling a product that a manufactorer isnt advertising with media and marketing collateral

10/ Returns policy - advanced replacement is great

11/ Sales History - being able to get accurate info from the manufactorers crm package to work out delivery times etc.

12/ High credit limit - if a project is over 1mill then you need the supplier to be able to accept that cost for you rather than make you pay it up front.

13/ Support in many countries - important if you win work for multi national companies

14/ Technical sales people - very handy for presentations

15/ A and E specs - technical data for consultants to specify your products with

I cant think of many more but the biggies are the account, the stock, the support....not the price

4/ Warranty - minimum 3yrs

Who offers a three year warranty? We offer a two year warranty and in today's day and age that's plenty. I can't think of any electronics off the top of my head that comes with a 3 year warranty.

14/ Technical sales people - very handy for presentations

15/ A and E specs - technical data for consultants to specify your products with

It's not our job to market or know the product for you. If I had a client that asked for my assistance I'd gladly provide it, but at the end of the day it's not my job to sell for you.

And a lot of your suggestions are things that I feel are either inherent (which might just be my company) or, more importantly, things that won't come into play until a purchase is being considered.

If I could get even half the people I talk with to even look at our specs, compare prices and give me a shot to provide half the services on the back end of the deal that you mention I'd be a very successful salesman. What I'm looking for is 3 or 4 bullet points I can present quickly and efficiently that would make half of the companies I contact review my company further.

For example specs and returns and sales on terms are all things that don't effect people in your shoes until after there's some sort of relationship established. I'm having difficulty getting my proverbial foot through the door, providing customer service on the back end is a cake walk for me.

It's simple, what would you have to hear on a 5 minute phone call or see in a flier email that would make you at least stop and investigate further? If there's honestly nothing the industry is as rigid as it seems and I need to start pursuing my radio career again because I'm not presumptuous enough to go around telling people what's good for their businesses. Besides I've yet to come across one person in this field who doesn't feel like they know it better than everyone else, so bludgeoning my product onto people doesn't exactly seem like the best path to take.