Sign in to follow this  
mindware

Vivotek IP7138 Factory Defaulting

Hi,

This might sound stupid but I'm really stuck so here goes,

I've aquired a Vivotek IP7138 that was used before (I have no information on the IP subnet it was setup on). When plugged into a router, it just fails to request a lease and all the LED's seem to have been disabled so I'm assuming it was just setup with a static IP.

So I tried restoring the defaults as per the manual which suggests:

1. Press on the button continuously.

2. Wait for self-diagnostic to run twice.

3. Free the button as soon as the second self-diagnostic starts.

Now since the LED's where disabled I cant really tell when the self-diagnostic is running, so I've tried a combintion of holding it for 10, 20 and 30 seconds, and even on and after power ups, but It's just failing to go back to factory defaults!

So, does anyone know how long for it should be poked, and if it should be held before or after powerup? Any help would be appreciated!!

Why dont you just load the Vivotek utility IP finder and search for the camera. Vivotek software will still find the camera no matter what and then you can login via the IE browswer and factory reset the camera. Call us should you have any issues.

Using a where's my camera applet won't do anything more than he already has done. If the camera is assigned a static ip on, say, 1.2.3.4 and his network is on 192.168.0 then it won't ever see 1.2.3.4 (or anything not on 192.168.0). Nothing short of a reset to factory defaults will do this. You could call in an IP camera psychic detective, but they are hard to find.

The LEDs will go back on as soon as you properly do a reset. Check the manual again. Some Vivos need the power removed, then while pressing the reset button in, power it on (and continue holding until you get a sequence of some sort).

[ .sig would go here (you could bing "40th" )] (getting there)

"Using a where's my camera applet won't do anything more than he already has done. If the camera is assigned a static ip on, say, 1.2.3.4 and his network is on 192.168.0 then it won't ever see 1.2.3.4 (or anything not on 192.168.0). Nothing short of a reset to factory defaults will do this. You could call in an IP camera psychic detective, but they are hard to find."

Depending on the manufacturer this is true. However Vivotek uses a smart search feature that will not look for the cameras IP's but more along the line of the cameras MAC id's so even if your not on the cameras same ip (e.g your computer is 192.168.1.? and the camera is either 169.168.7.? or even 10.0.0.? the software will still be able to find the camera. Many major manufacturers search via MAC id's now such as Vivotek, ACTi and Arecont Vision.

However new features that are now starting to get implemented into IP cameras are that the camera's will not be able to be found after 5 minutes of operation such as the Panasonic I-PRO camera series. Vivotek has not started using this feature yet.

Contact us should you need assistance as we are very familiar with Vivotek. We will be happy to help you.

I suppose that would work if you plugged the camera directly into the PC, or an old-style hub. It won't work if you plug it into a switch because it will never make it to the PC. You may need a crossover cable for the direct connection (maybe not).

If (OP) has used wireshark, run that while you're at it. You may see the camera broadcast something. Connect the camera directly to the PC.

The MAC broadcast for this type of application WILL make it through most types of layer 2 or 3 LAN switches, unless MAC broadcasts are explicitly filtered in the setup (unlikely). It will not make it through NAT masquerade routing, though (MAC broadcasts are filtered there, to stop them from being broadcast onto the internet).

Usually, these applications can find the cams, and in some instances readdress them, through different subnets, but with some you have to change your local IP to match the same subnet before being able to readdress them.

Yeah, I've heard of that but haven't thought about it for a while. Anyway,

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1583/def169254.png

Instead of messing with the camera, I put the camera onto my second network (it is working), from 192.168,0 to 192.168.1 I'd think that would have the same end result. If I had the guts I'd switch the camera, but it's not easily gotten to if it doesn't work (assuming the default address [169.254.] given is not the norm). It found the camera, but the address is ... well, maybe I've got one too many switches in there. I'm sure it would work connected up directly.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.180

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:29ff:fed6:2f15%4

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.32

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 13:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.180

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:29ff:fed6:2ee3%5

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I dont know the exact specs but i think that if you are trying to access a camera using standard hubs/switches that you can only pass through about 4-5 switches before signal is too weak. In these cases you want to use fiber. I know that there is signal drop every 300 ft but i know there is limitation on how many switches you can pass through. Anyways i dont see the poster responding so i think we resolved issue. Add me as friend so we can help more peeps on issues like this!!! You have alot of good info 40th floor and same hardwired... lets keep this up guys. We can help alot of people here.