brendler

Recording quality vs cheap camera (samples)

Hi guys,

I installed a cctv system in the house but I can't say I'm happy with the results I got from the recorded videos.

I've got a E5200 proc + Asus Motherboard + 2GB RAM + GV250 + Nvidia 7200 GS as the server. I installed a few cheap cameras:

2 domes and 3 (cheap) Sharp 1/3" 3.6mm minicameras.

From this setup, all I want is to be able to get the recorded .avi files with good quality. The fact is the video quality is pretty poor

and I don't quite know what to do next. I had a Geovision GV800 in place which produced videos with pretty much the same quality (poor).

I don't know if its important to mention but this server does not have a monitor which means there is no need for anyone to look at the screen to monitor the cameras. Does it mean I dont need to know about FPS? I set the FPS to Smart and it gave me pretty smooth videos (really liked that) but I'm still unhappy about the resolution (320x240).

I've seen many people cheering at the quality of the gv800, but from I could see, the recording quality was the same I get from the GV250, am I correct in saying that? In that case, should I assume my problem is with the cameras? (I can't remember having such a bad quality when looking at the camera images on the monitor when I set it up though)

So my question is, what should I do next? Should I invest more money in a better card? go for a good standalone DVR ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Guest

A couple of samples attached:

Minicam Sharp 1/4", 3.6mm

sample clip

Dome CCD Sharp 1/4 Auto Iris 480 Lines 0,05 Lux Day/Night

sample clip

Thanks

first have a look at your smart recording. this is when your dvr records in poor quality till it picks up movement. it should give you options to change settings. but i would say set your dvr to motion only record and see how it goes.

also if you are thinking of changing and you have not built a card based pc then buy a dvr it will be cheaper for you in the long run.

Hi Tom,

It is currently set for motion only, and the sample clips show short clips where the motion actually happened.

As for the smart recording, should I deactivate it?

By the way, I'm using Geo Mpeg4 codec for recording.

Your problems isn't smart FPS, it is recording size. Set it to 720x480, deinterlaced. You will be limited by the quality of "cheap" cameras, but you should be able to set the higher res.

Am I not limited here by the resolution of the capture card then? (apparently 320x200)

I'm slightly puzzled at the fact that the GV800 had this same resolution and inspite of that I haven't seen anyone complaining about it, quite on the contrary. Would it be because people out there are more concerned about 'viewing' the images than recording them?

I will set the resolution right away and see what happens. I think it's already set to 640x480 but I could only see this difference in the monitor.

I've changed 'video source' from 640x480 to 720x480.

The notable difference in the video res was

From 320x240 to 360x240 (half the set resolution).

I just want to make sure its not the card that its limiting me as it would then be useless

me bringing back the GV800 or a similar one.

He's asking how you're exporting from GeoVision to that AVI file.

You say you're recording at 720x480, but that clip is only at 360x240.

Actually I don't get to export it, I just copied the file straight from the place where it was written by the dvr card.

Yes, its odd this resolution, but from what I've been seeing out there this is what it says in all geovision cards, recording only at max 360x240.

Does most people live with that low resolution or its just me here that cannot configure the card? What would be the point in having high res cameras with such recording low resolution?

I dont know what to do, if I buy new camera (in the hope that something will improve here) or if I forget about it and buy another card.

Geovision can and does record at higher res than the clip you have posted. I'm at work , so I can't check the settings. You will have to poke around at each camera's setting to see what it is set for.

Chekc this link, http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Geovision-Video-Record-Resolution-s/247.htm and try the search engine on the forum. I can't find it righ tnow, but I know that Rory had done a post with recommendations for the best quality settings.

Mate, thanks a lot for your help, I had done this thing that says on this post you pasted above but that only affected the display resolution.

I finally found the place to change the recording resolution, and it is right there where you said, in the "camera settings". How come I am so stupid and blind. Thanks very much mate, I'm very relieved and appreciated a lot your help. (I nearly returned the card)

For those who have the same problem, here is a screenshot where you can change this settings:

Hope it helps someone.

rec_res.JPG.6ddb4b02c01c502fac9fbd9342814223.JPG

Glad that worked out for you.

It took me months to get all the peices of my GV setup working the way I want. The ability, and complexity, is amazing.

Just another thing I found out.

For you to be able to see that little dropdown in the Camera configuration, you have to first enable the right resolution on Video Source and only then you will see that dropdown along with the higher resolution available.

In my case I didn't see the dropdown because of this: I had first looked at the dropdown, then changed the Video Source thingie, and then didn't go back there to see it.

So take care here.

640x480 and 720x480 is no real diff with Geo. Except the file size diff can be huge, I always stick to 640x480 deinterlaced and the least amount of compression the DVR supplies (Geo mpeg4 in this case), its not like you are using Megapixel cameras. Also, that indoor camera looks like it has some "issues" that are not DVR related.

Also, dont forget you can press the little green hand to set the same settings for all cameras.

Play with the FPS settings and when you save video save it via the backup system. That will save the orginal file install the player and give you a better picture. I have had problems with the AVI files in the past as not all pcs have the same media players.

Actually I think it is the placement of Cam1 that is the main prob .. the angle is really bad ..

Dark Interior .. Bright exterior .. VERY bright exterior .. unless u turn on the BLC (Backlight Compensation) or unless the Cam has the WDR (I've not tried this one though) .. u r unlikely to get a good view in the interior ..

Reason .. the auto-focus of cameras tend to find a best fit .. the outside's brightness and the inside's darkness is causing the camera to settle for brightness level in between ..

Try to point the cam lower .. it may turn out a little better .. or if possible relocate .. just remember .. never point the camera at a glass door/window ..

Also .. for the very 1st clip in the 1st/2nd post .. the image looked blurry .. chk the focus and also the lens/housing