Adam Daley

Where does GeoVision Store Its Files

Sooo heres my question... sometimes I have to go in and re-ghost a DVR. I keep my DVRs in a 2 partition setup.

Main Partition: OS and Program Files

2nd Partition: Camera Data File

It works out well, as I can save the data file and just re-ghost the 1st partition then run the repair database and it keeps all the data. However sometimes I work with a system that has a lot of complex entries. Like port #'s are different then my standard, or camera names (especially camera names) are used. Sometimes I have multiple users setup/etc..

Now I know the users are stored in the registry and not much I can do about that. But does anybody know if GeoVision stores their "config files" locally...

What id like to do is re-ghost my machine and then copy over a bunch of "config files" to save me some time. So i don't have to go back and re-do the ports and re-name the cameras.

I know its stored somewhere (registry???) because if i uninstall geovision and reinstall it, all that info is there.

Most if not all of the config files are in the Windows folder. Many will be like Geo*.ini, lots of PTZ ini files though named after their brand. I am not 100% sure if they have moved anything in 8.3 as I have not delved into that much yet, from the looks of it everything is in the same location though. GeoMulti.ini is the main config file.

For Geovision 8.3x, just use there Fast Backup and Restore utility. Saves a lot of reconfiguring is something happens.

Ok, I had geovision 8.34 running on a computer here. I did a FBR backup, and it did indeed back up a lot of things, but unfortunately it did not save the preset names, or preset locations. I've now installed 8.401 and I still have the old 8.3 backed up on another hard drive.

Do you guys have the exact .INI files etc that I'd need to copy from 8.3 to the 8.4 so that I don't have to spend a hundred hours reprogramming geovision? I've looked and there are quite a lot of ini files inside of the gv-1480 folder as well as Windows, so I don't want to copy too many, or not enough. I need to know the EXACT files we need to copy over.

Please advise asap. Can you reach me on here, or barry@firstsurveillance.ca and let me know? Whoever gets me the correct info that WORKS I will dispatch a pizza to your address.

Thanks

Barry

firstsurveillance.ca

what stupid place to put geo files, fbr does not save all settings, and fbr is unusable if u use large fonts in windows. the geo programmers must be real amateurs.

some other programs use the Windows folder for settings files and ofcourse thats where the windows log files are ... though I agree it can be a PITA when having to change or back them up plus it means having a user digging around in a main OS folder. This was from before Vista's time so its not a privilege issue, they should have just used the user app data path or program path and give the option to export/import the INI files.