mantry

Recomendations: Motion Detect, Email image, Live Viewing

Howdy, I am currently using PYSOFT's ACTIVE WEBCAM on a Windows XP PC that is connect to 3 cameras via some inexpensive video cards.

I am looking to change from the PC Based DVR solution to a standalone DVR that is dedicated to the task.

Here is how we use it currently:

Records 1fpm 24 hours a day without motion

Records 1fps when motion is detected in the user-defined field

When motion detection is detected 3 images are sent via email to us

Uploads a frame of video 12 times/hour via FTP to our ISP and then we display that on a web page.

Only thing we are really missing from an ideal situation is the ability the view the cameras in realtime. Ideally using no special codecs/software. Mostly using just Internet Explorer and/or a webpage for a mobile phone.

Anytime I've started down this search before (previously looking for PC based software) the biggest hurdle I've encountered is the FTP'ing a frame of video to the ISP, but I would suspect that this could be worked around by being able to view the video realtime. We do have static IP address and can do the port fowarding in our DSL Modem/Router.

So, any suggestions on Standalone DVR's and/or suppliers that people have had good luck with?

I'm downloaded some manuals for some Q-see, LOREX, SWAN, and Avermedia. But one of the things is each one has several models, etc. And I'm not even sure where to get started.

Howdy, I am currently using PYSOFT's ACTIVE WEBCAM on a Windows XP PC that is connect to 3 cameras via some inexpensive video cards.

I am looking to change from the PC Based DVR solution to a standalone DVR that is dedicated to the task.

Here is how we use it currently:

Records 1fpm 24 hours a day without motion

Records 1fps when motion is detected in the user-defined field

When motion detection is detected 3 images are sent via email to us

Uploads a frame of video 12 times/hour via FTP to our ISP and then we display that on a web page.

Only thing we are really missing from an ideal situation is the ability the view the cameras in realtime. Ideally using no special codecs/software. Mostly using just Internet Explorer and/or a webpage for a mobile phone.

Anytime I've started down this search before (previously looking for PC based software) the biggest hurdle I've encountered is the FTP'ing a frame of video to the ISP, but I would suspect that this could be worked around by being able to view the video realtime. We do have static IP address and can do the port fowarding in our DSL Modem/Router.

So, any suggestions on Standalone DVR's and/or suppliers that people have had good luck with?

I'm downloaded some manuals for some Q-see, LOREX, SWAN, and Avermedia. But one of the things is each one has several models, etc. And I'm not even sure where to get started.

Hi if you are only looking at 3-4 cameras then i would look at the avermedia 1304 sata. very good little system over the internet. or mobile/smartphone/iphone.

if you would like to have some ip addresses for a demo please pm me.

Mantry,

I assume you are using cctv cameras as opposed to IP cams ?

Using the latter sorts out the problem ( no cards ) and you can even use your present PC to capture live video and snapshots on HDD and send to FTP server to be viewed remotely or even on mobile phones. This is obviously provided you connect the cams to a switch or router and then to PC and you have DSL or Cable.