kiter73

help needed for home sys

Greetings members!My PC recently died and i had a dvr card in it's a cheap one .i have two cam front door and front garage.My card was ok but i could not hook up more camera on it because each added camera split the recording rate ,so i ended up with 2 cam.That is enough right mow .My question is should i go with a security dvr or just buy a new motherboard cpu for my existing system?Budget around 100 bucs .What i need is a motion recording and same fps rate on the cameras ,i mean i do not like that if i hook up more camera it split the fps rate.I guess if i buy the dvr system i get better resolution too right ?i have seen a couple budget dvr without HD on ebay i need help what option i can get .I am ok with used one too .My sys gave me a 640 /480 res maybe less .thanks for the help in advance

What framerates WERE you recording at? 30fps is "full motion" for NTSC video, but 15fps is virtually indistinguishable to most people.

How old is this PC? What processor does it use, or more importantly, what RAM? Any current board you get will use DDR2; if the system is old enough to use DDR, or worse, SD-RAM, you'll have to replace the RAM as well... and possibly the power supply... pretty soon a "cheap upgrade repair" becomes more expensive than a whole new system.

What framerates WERE you recording at? 30fps is "full motion" for NTSC video, but 15fps is virtually indistinguishable to most people.

How old is this PC? What processor does it use, or more importantly, what RAM? Any current board you get will use DDR2; if the system is old enough to use DDR, or worse, SD-RAM, you'll have to replace the RAM as well... and possibly the power supply... pretty soon a "cheap upgrade repair" becomes more expensive than a whole new system.

like soundy says it can start to get expensive to upgrade your pc. and your other problem is BUYING a card from ebay. you will spend more on cards than on your pc till you get one that sort of works from ebay. if you are just running 2 cameras then just buy a budget named dvr http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?Id=151 this will cost you less than upgrading your pc.

We used to sell PC based DVR with video capture card for many years. As Motherboard manufacture changes their design and built-in with new features, your existing video capture card might not be able to compatible with new motherboard. Therefore, you might spend time and effort to resolve those issue if incompatible issue arises.

well the Pc was pretty ok 3 gig proc ddr memory that was my old gaming system 4 years ago but it fried yest .I went to Compus today i have bought mobo and proc for 100 bucs .The card what i have enough for me .I can not say i like the res on picture but do the work ok.

Basically i was just wondering if i could get a dvr for that money about 100 .I do not want to open the mobo and cpu till i get the info from u guys.

well the Pc was pretty ok 3 gig proc ddr memory that was my old gaming system 4 years ago but it fried yest .I went to Compus today i have bought mobo and proc for 100 bucs .The card what i have enough for me .I can not say i like the res on picture but do the work ok.

Basically i was just wondering if i could get a dvr for that money about 100 .I do not want to open the mobo and cpu till i get the info from u guys.

kiter. first ask yourself why you want a cctv system. like you have said The card what i have enough for me .I can not say i like the res on picture but do the work ok.

no point in having a system were you cant make out faces or car plates. you would be better going for the avermedia or avtech. in the long run you will save money. and dont buy from ebay. just type ebay into the search at the top of the forum page. see how many people have wasted there money.

how much are those run for?Basically my point is can i get a decent dvr around 100 bucs what i have seen a couple of website they selling for like 120 ish or get an aver card in to my pc for 120 ish?keep in mind it is only for watching my front door and the front of the garage .Once my car was busted so that is why i keep monitoring ,so basically it has to cover about 15 feet range .