lomak

connecting DVR to Internet using 3G Sierra Wireless

Hello people !

My Internet is a 3G wireless connection and I've been trying to connect my DVR to the Internet by connecting a LAN directly to my PC with no success every time I try to login using the VideoViewer software it always says "login failed".

Is it possible to connect a DVR to the net directly to a PC sharing the Internet connection ?... I don't have a problem connecting my Xbox this way.

cheers

yes, remote viewing. that's what I'm trying to do. the 3G air card is hooked up to my PC and I'm running a network cable from the DVR to my PC.

yes, remote viewing. that's what I'm trying to do. the 3G air card is hooked up to my PC and I'm running a network cable from the DVR to my PC.

to go from dvr to pc you will need a crossover cable. and not the standard eithernet cable.

Ya the 3G router sure would be more convenient, no wires and all but I actually need to reduce the wireless air waves in my place.

With the Ethernet cable I was trying to make a Internet connection I was getting a signal from the DVR to the PC, on the videoViewer software it would show the description of my DVR after clicking the search tab. It was kind of giving the idea that would work !

Using a crossover ethernet cable should work with no problem...right ?

thanks guys !

true enough, but I just ordered a crossover cable, its OK it was pretty cheap.

can you point to a post that shows how to connect a DVR to Internet using a crossover cable to the PC

cheers

Well you only need a cross over cable if your computer doesn't have a gigabyte NIC.

But the only way I know how to do this is with a router.

You have a PC with a 3g card and you want to connect your DVR to the NIC on your PC and be able to remote in to your DVR. As far as I know you are going to need a router for that. Let me know if you get it working without one.

I found this

12. Connect your PC straight to the DVR using a ethernet crossover cable. A ethernet crossover cable is

different from your regular ethernet cables and should never be used for final installation. Use ethernet

crossover cables for testing only.....

http://www.supercircuits.com/Uploaded/products/resources/DVR%20Networking-8.pdf

if it works for testing its a good sign, I just don't get why "it should never be used for final installation"

what do you think ?

I found this
12. Connect your PC straight to the DVR using a ethernet crossover cable. A ethernet crossover cable is

different from your regular ethernet cables and should never be used for final installation. Use ethernet

crossover cables for testing only.....

http://www.supercircuits.com/Uploaded/products/resources/DVR%20Networking-8.pdf

if it works for testing its a good sign, I just don't get why "it should never be used for final installation"

what do you think ?

its just the way some dvrs and some ip cameras will only take commands from crossover. you can only use crossover from pc to pc or dvr to pc and not to a router.

Well you only need a cross over cable if your computer doesn't have a gigabyte NIC.

But the only way I know how to do this is with a router.

You have a PC with a 3g card and you want to connect your DVR to the NIC on your PC and be able to remote in to your DVR. As far as I know you are going to need a router for that. Let me know if you get it working without one.

Just a thought about getting around the router issue. Going back a while I used to be able to connect a dialup modem plugged into the PCMI slot of my laptop and also connect a device to the NIC port and have it connect to the internet using ICS. You may want to check your Network Connections, Internet, Properties and see if you have a Sharing tab. If memeory serves, this will reconfigure your NIC to 192.168.0.1 and maybe allow you to share the internet thru your 3G card.

. .......Let me know if you get it working without one.

I'm still waiting to receive the cable I ordered, all this time maybe it's not coming. I will let you know if I can make a connection.

I'm having a problems with the motion detection feature, the DVR is recording empty motions. I have the detection settings at minimum sensitivity and it records about 3 times almost every minute. Anyone with the same problem, can I get some help please or point me to a post with the help I need.

Thanks

its just the way some dvrs and some ip cameras will only take commands from crossover. you can only use crossover from pc to pc or dvr to pc and not to a router.

That cool explanations

maybe it's a bit late, but, i think you're going on the wrong direction. i assume your purpose is to link the dvr onto the internet, not just to your pc. the crossover wire can only help connect dvr up to the pc, and no where further.

to connect dvr onto the internet, unless your dvr is equipped with 3G capability, you'll definitely need a router, and in your case, a 3G one. though, it's possible to turn your pc into a 3G router, but it's not worth the effort, since you'll need to install a server level OS on it.

anyway, get a 3G router, connect the dvr with a "non"-crossover cat5 wire, and do some port forwarding.

OK I got the crossover cable I connected the DVR to the PC with no problem.

now do I just have to go to a another PC and install the Videoviewer software and enter the my ip address to see if it works ? I'm a bit confused now, I do I know if it's net connected ?

this is the same way I connect my XBOX to the net thru my PC with a 3G card without a router

Edited by Guest

hi lomak,

u can stop the experiment now. the crossover cable won't bring you anywhere further. it stops at the computer that directly connecting the dvr. as noted in my previous post, seriously, you'll need a router. or u can install a server on your pc and turn it into a router. don't waste ur time trying out the crossover cable.

Some people say it works some say it doesn't.

using a router works, ok so when everything id connected what is needed to do on another PC to watch the live feed ?

when all gadgets are ready and correctly configured. go to another computer with internet connection, open IE. type in the DVR's IP address. accept whatever IE told you to run, type in the user account and password. that's it.

some people said it works, that's because they are doing a local test and they try to isolate the problems into smaller steps. just part of the engineering procedure. its not a working solution though.

just now on my PC I opened IE and entered the IP address a window to login appeared I entered the user name and password and a window is showing my cameras with a little menu

It seems to be working, does it only work on my PC like this ?