andyr

Swapping Kalatel Safestore pro CD-RW with DVD+R

Has anyone tried swapping the CD-RW with a DVD+R on a Kalatel Safestore pro?

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this.

No I dont think it will work. Reason being is the software is made to work with a CDR and not a DVDR, DVDRs even if installed on a PC require drivers for them to work properly when using burning software, whereas most CDRs are recognised by default.

rory is searching high and low for this one? I have seen DVR's with DVDR's, but why? How much footage do you need?

Yo Dataave, one question.

Can you explain what the heck is that on your website?

Funny as hell tho!!!!!

There was a big scandal over at Stern's web site a couple of months ago (long story). I just have been too lazy to change it.

rory is searching high and low for this one? I have seen DVR's with DVDR's, but why? How much footage do you need?

Huh?

The GE kalatel DVMRe-PRO comes with a CDR or a DVDR, cost is huge to get the DVDR over the CDR, in fact the cost from a SDVR to a DVMRe-PRO is huge also and for the 120pps over the 60pps, is not worth it, unless you really want it, need it, or if it IS a 16 channel then it can make a diff. The SDVR is fine and CDR is all you really need for most apps.

If you REALLY need the 4GB then your best bet is the DVMRe-PRO, use the 80GB version, but switch the hard Drive out, that is easier then changing the back up drive. The DVMRe-PRO also comes with a Fire Wire output, so does the DVMRe-CT which is much cheaper. The SDVR only has the CDR as back up. Firwire can give you endless back up choices.

If you do switch the HDD on any of the GE Kalatel DVRs, make sure to keep the HDD as the serial number macthes the DVR serial number, so it would be required for any warranties.

Also, if you replace the HDD, it uses a standard 5400rpm, and do not partition or format it. You also will loose the HTTP server as that is installed by GE on the DVRs HDD.

Rory

NOTE: SDVR =s StoreSafe

There was a big scandal over at Stern's web site a couple of months ago (long story). I just have been too lazy to change it.

howards the man!!!

If you ghost the hard drives would you be able to retain the http services?

On my original question, I guess the main reason I was asking about swapping the CDR drive with a DVDR was convenience. I'm pretty new to the cctv game, but I figured that playing back a DVD would be easier for law enforcement.

Not really, the DVD thing. All PCs have CDs, but not all have DVDs.

Also, both ways would use the same software to play the video, it is not regular video files, it is special files that require the GE software to play back.

Ghosting the drive, no doubt that would work. Its not Fat32 or similar, its not Linux, they use Nucleus, not sure what they do to the drives now though.

Rory

I be curious. If I end up getting the StoreSafe Pro, I am going to pull the drive and connect it to my laptop via an external USB enclosure and see what I be see partition type wise with Partition Magic, as well as if it is just a simple copy/paste of the http and related files. If easy, then the 40GB option it be

5400 though? I hope it can accept a 7200 RPM.

No, it requires a 5400rpm, or at least thats what they said, well actually they said it would work best with a 5400, the slower the better. Remember it is not Linux and not Windows, it is the Nulceous RTOS used in Cellphones etc, not even designed to be used with HDDs, thats why you can install a HDD and dont have to partition or format it, the part that puzzles me now is maybe they partition a small area of it for the HTTP server? But leave the rest unpartitioned .. or maybe they use the partition now, if it exists.

They didnt make that clear last time i talked to them. I dont like their browser based software anyway, so thats why It hasnt come up. Plus i made my own browser software for them anyway, a long time before they made theirs.

We'll let you be the guinnea pig

Let us know what happens ....

Try to get one on trial basis if yah can .. there are also alot of off lease GE DVRs up in the CA area last I checked.

sure... someone wanna be lending me (giving is preferred) around $2500 CAD so I can pick one up?

Trial one? Hmmm, that would be nice.

check with the large alarm companies sometimes they will have older GE DVRs off lease looking to sell off. The PRO is probably too new for that though.

Which version/channels were you looking at?

Rory

The StoreSafe Pro SDVR-4P-40 4-channel was the one I was looking at.

CDR's are so cheap, I am surprised they don't have a black one installed instead of white.

dont ask me ..! At least it could be the same color .. actually its not a black case, its beigish/brownish/greyish ..

anyway, whats 2400CA in Dollars??

That be 2500 Canadian Dollas, around 1990 US Dollas. Of course, I cannot post the actual end-user quote, because *cough* someone keeps deleting it.

Thats about right, but why not just get the 30pps one, its ALOT cheaper, its real time recording in motion recording mode, when there is only 1 or 2 cameras recording, its smart recording means it changes the speed as it needs to, its all I sell for the 4 channel GE, the extra dollars for the 60pps isnt really worth the price.

That said, since you mentioned a black case, are you talking about the DVMRe-PRO that is 120-pps (in turbo mode) ..?

Rory

Not sure, I don't think I would be able to sleep at night knowing it was only 30fps total. I would have nightmares or something. I need the mostest fps

Yes, the turbo 120fps all black (from the pics I have seen)... the other StoreSafe's should be all black like that one. The regular ones remind me of computers I have built with black cases, but white CD-ROM's which look stupid.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=DVMRePRO&lang=en_US

No, only the DVMRe-PRO is all black, the StoreSafes are all the same color.

I have a StoreSafe System with 30pps, with 15 cameras. Its a 160GB and its recording approx 22 days on 15 cameras mon-fri 9am-8pm, 3 stores.

If you want to see PB let me know by email.

Rory

By the way I need a guinea pig for a new 4 channel DVR if you are interested, let me know. Its alot less $$ than the GE but is Mpeg4, 120fps, 4 ch audio, USB and CDRW.

Rory