d_aliin

Loss of resolution while digital encoders and analog cameras

I migrated an analog camera system to digital by using Bosch encoders with the analog cameras. However, i have noticed that the resolution is not as good when i try to zoom in and view distant objects. The problem is with the viewing in real time. The recorded video does not have this problem. Any insight?

I'd think that would point to a problem (or incorrect setting) with the viewing software - if the video is still being recorded at full resolution, then the live-view software may be downscaling it. Or, do these encoders do dual-stream? If so, the viewer may be using the sub-stream.

Bosch encoders are reliable, but them do "deinterlacing" on entire signal. Real resolution from Bosch encoders is 2CIF.......... Just try set encoder stream to 2CIF or to 4CIF, you will see no difference.

Also, if recorded images are good for customer, refer to Soundy post.

If its high quality record and low quality stream, then it should be a dual stream DVR. Check if the remote software itself, or DVR's network client/webcam settings have a quality or resolution size, or a deinterlace setting. if there are no settings, then you would be stuck with what they give you.

for a digital video system, the live-view video and the recorded video use different data stream. For live-view mode, the system just copy the data from ADC to display memory of computer. so there is no too much loss of resolution ( compared with the original analog signal). However, for the recorded video, the system will compress it first then save it to hard drive. so there will be certain loss of resolution definitely.

How is your encoding profile setup?

What resolution - target and max bit rates, i frame distance?

What encoder type and firmware?

The current bosch line does interlacing on 4CIF, this is standard.

Bosch NBC cameras do progressive scan, not interlaced.

The current bosch line does interlacing on 4CIF, this is standard.

Are You really sure about that?

Please, test encoders with measurement generator or table. After my testings, "real" resolution from Bosch cameras and encoder (i'm doesn't test 1600XF encoders) is 2CIF, even at 4CIF encoder settings ........

I will try to prove this this week. Like example, PAL test generator attached to Pelco encoder:

NVR1_Vilnius_2006-11-24_1245.jpg.08443def47d22bc8d8d357bfba05edb3.jpg