tosul

NJ Licensing

Hello

We've been in business in NJ over 30 years doing telephone systems, cabling, intercom, and for about the last 10 years CCTV. Just found out on Friday that the State of NJ requires a Burglar Alarm license to install CCTV; this is a costly and time consuming license to obtain for something we have never nor ever will install. Wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation....

Thanks

Tom

Hello

We've been in business in NJ over 30 years doing telephone systems, cabling, intercom, and for about the last 10 years CCTV. Just found out on Friday that the State of NJ requires a Burglar Alarm license to install CCTV; this is a costly and time consuming license to obtain for something we have never nor ever will install. Wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation....

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom. it may be time consuming and costly but having cctv installers licencened is a good thing. and will pay in the end. i take it you only lay the cables for other cctv companys and this is why you need the licence. but looking at your existing buisness you are telecoms. this is also a buisness that is changing dramatically with the groth of internet phone systems and cctv is also in its ip systems is also a part of this so it could be a update to your existing buisness to get the licence. (a buisness always needs to move forward)

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you're saying....we've actually been unstalling CCTV systems for over 10 years in addition to our other products. I could see their logic if this was a "life saving" device or even if the cameras were tied into the alarm system; in our case these are simply stand alone systems. To me it just looks like another move by NJ to put their hands in you pockets.. Are you located in NJ too?

It's just established businesses trying to cartelize the market and prevent new entrants into "their" market as much as possible. The State of NJ needing to steal more wealth to fund their ongoing operations also plays a role, of course.

Edited by Guest

couldn't agree more! Trying to see if they offer any kind of exemption similar to the TWA for low voltage cabling

yep nj sucks, way for them to make money. It's a good and bad thing but I think it should be unecessory. Heck if you install a wireless security system they want you to have a licience but they don't have any formal code written go figure. What the heck is the licience good for.