robert

How to connect analog camera to laptop?

One of the ways is using this USB stick:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_nkw=usb%20cctv&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_pgn=2

Anybody tried? Feedback?

Any other ways to connect? Is there any stand alone recording box? DVR is too expensive. Need solution for single camera.

Hi robert. for single camera jobs i use one of these. it has a built in sd card and full internet viewing with sound it saves on keeping a laptop or pc on 24/7. IPCAMSA.jpg

Hey Tocctv can i have that link as well i could use something like that. Thank you very much. " title="Applause" />

I just recently tested a USB DVR ... compared to older ones I used in the past, it actually was not bad at all. I even had it installed on my Asus EEE PC 4G Netbook .. recording to a USB hard drive (I only have a 4GB SSD, newer netbooks have hard drives, or you could use SD Cards). Point is, it worked fine with 4 cameras on a 600Mhz Netbook LOL! No, it is no GeoVision, but it works, and its cheap. Ofcourse I didnt use it for any real length of time though, so no idea how they would last in the field, and yes the quality was CIF. This is the one i used, its from an OEM distributor in the US, but Im sure you can find one similar in the UK:

http://www.vsionis.com/index.php/en/visdvrusblux-usb-dvr-surveillance-system.html

Ive also used a USB TV Tuner which had A/V inputs, but it was VERY heavy software, designed for home entertainment system, and it was a flimsy connection and physically heavy (actually very long) so it kept coming loose from the USB port.

It might have done D1 not 100% sure, but I had it set to CIF as I was on the netbook.

Watch out for those ones on Ebay though, especially if it is TOO cheap, there are some really crappy ones out there with very buggy software. I imagine the vsionis one i tested, they had probably tried alot of them before going with that one. This one had basic software, but not buggy and it worked. It was not the cheapest one ofcourse, but remember you get what you pay for. If they claim alot and sell it for next to nothing, most likely it has bugs.

I kinda doubt you could do 4 channels D1 over a USB 2.0 port... ALl the USB DVR 4ch I have always tried were usually "not so good" to say the least when being used with 4ch at the same time.

tomcctv, could I also get a link to that 1ch video server please?

I kinda doubt you could do 4 channels D1 over a USB 2.0 port... ALl the USB DVR 4ch I have always tried were usually "not so good" to say the least when being used with 4ch at the same time.

tomcctv, could I also get a link to that 1ch video server please?

I need just 1 channel. Can I view and record D1?

127952_1.jpg

I have one of this things for tests. 1ch video, 2 channel audio which I never use, USB 2.0, 720x576@25fps (I will guess @30fps when doing NTSC). Main problem is software, it does not come with a "real" CCTV program, but the typical program so grandpa can convert his old VHS tapes to DVD. But I am sure it can be used with other programs (I use it with AMCAP).

Works great with XP, Vista and Win7 64 bits (NOTE, not all of them from what I know; typical made in China, one packaging, many insides)