shaywood

Limiting Hard Drive Space used

h.264 compression, 320x240

And if using Motion recording mask out areas such as trees, main roads and lights.

Treat each camera individually.

I think he meant more, how can he tell the system to only use 'X' amount of space and leave the rest free...

Create a 300Gb partition and store the video there.

The video should be on its own partition or hard drive anyway.

Personally, for an existing system I would just buy a new drive for video storage. Repartioning an existing drive (especially shrinking the C drive) without reformatting is an iffy thing with the odds of losing data very high.

The time and effort of backing up your existing system, reformatting and then partitioning makes just buying a spare drive more attractive.

^This. A 320GB drive can be had brand-new for under $50. For that matter, a 500GB can be had for under $60. Just get a dedicated drive for your video and be done with it. Add $20-$30 and get it in an external USB case.

Just a thought though: you're "sharing" this video data drive, does that mean you're "sharing" the DVR computer as well? That's generally a bad idea; you typically want your DVR to run on its own dedicated machine, for a number of different reasons.

I would rather not add an additional HD. This setup is in a small HTPC, so space is quite limited. I purchased a single HD large enought to ensure it could handle all my needs - just forgot to partition it separately in the begining.

I would rather not add an additional HD. This setup is in a small HTPC, so space is quite limited. I purchased a single HD large enought to ensure it could handle all my needs - just forgot to partition it separately in the begining.

Sounds like your only option is to back up your current drive, reformat and repartition the drive the way you want it.

As Soundy suggested though, just use an external USB drive.

Acronis Partition Expert and 5 min later u done

"^This. A 320GB drive can be had brand-new for under $50. For that matter, a 500GB can be had for under $60. Just get a dedicated drive for your video and be done with it. Add $20-$30 and get it in an external USB case."

You can get a 2TB hard drive for $110 with free three day shipping. I have four of them in my 8016 Hikvision system and they work great. If this won't work, try Pricewatch.com for other hard drive deals.

http://

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3watch&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3watch-_-Hard+Drives-_-Seagate-_-22148413

You can get a 2TB hard drive for $110 with free three day shipping. I have four of them in my 8016 Hikvision system and they work great. If this won't work, try Pricewatch.com for other hard drive deals.

Thats a 5900 rpm drive. 7200 rpm which is used in current DVR apps, costs more.

Although i do notice they claim a max 95mbs speed, which should be fast.

You can get a 1.5TB drive at microcenter for $59 right now. It's 5900 rpm. I returned 5 of them. They don't work too well. They had boatloads of issues with them in the store. I wasn't alone.

WD Blacks work well and I'm trying the new seagate XT drive and that seems to work well.