Todd

What brand type of hard drive?

I've built a bunch of the geovision systems starting with the GV1000 and now the 1480A cards. Never had an issue with hard drives until now. Now it seems video playback is choppy unless I use the top of the line drives like the WD Black series. Suggestions on drives? or number of cameras per drive? etc.

I want to add another 2TB to my system and some othes and are looking for recomendations.

Thanks.

ive always used wd black just because my brother is an it genius and when i started building geo vision systems, ive only done one so far he insisted i use em bc they are guarenteed for 5 years and with something as senstive as cctv and expensive, why waste the extra 1-200 dollars and not get them? ive always orderded my from newegg.com because they seem to have the cheapest price.... if that helps. besides when i looked at retail prices their dvrs run about 6,000 and only have a teryabyte of space, i made a top of the line pc for about 3,000 and it only cost that much because i put two 1480 cards in and while i did have my issues i think i have corrected them all now and hopefully its runnig as it was built to.

I'm trying out the seagate XT drives and so far so good. I'm pretty happy so far.

Ive never had a problem from a good (non failing) hard drive causing choppy video.

Would need more info, sounds like some other issue, eg. OS, Memory, CPU, etc.

The hard drives should be at least 7200rpm drives.

Also have you done a speed test on the hard drive yet?

BTW, make sure you are using Voltage Regulator and also order Retail HDDs if you can afford it as they come better packaged for shipping, ive had OEMS come bad from the get go, and ofcourse I see HDDs die all the time from lack of power protection (voltage regulator) and also heat.

And if you are using Windows 7 now and used to use Windows XP then without a super computer things will be alot slower.

I used I5-650 processors and 4 gigs of ddr3 1600 ram.

The seagates just didn't work out. I even had one of the managers from Microcenter up here and we swapped everything several times. Those 5900's were the death of me. After getting the WD blacks all seems to be good with all 4 systems. they have 64mb cache and I had 9 cameras on them with no issue. Same with the new Seagates. I'll probably stick with those two drives until something better or better/cheaper comes around.