cctvfan

Help pls: High recording rate AND resolution

Hello...... on one of the 16 channels, I need high recording rate (at least half-real-time or 15 pps) AND high recording resolution (at least 640x480, because 640x240 still gives us blocky pixels during playback).

All the remaining 15 channels can be at a lower fps and/or resolution. We don't care.

The problems is:

1. Most DVRs that offer, say 720x480 display resolution only record half the scan lines, at 720x240.

2. The only exeptions I found, like Nuvico's NVXG-16000, can be set to record in 720x480, but only if I'm willing to step down the gross rate to 60pps (from 240pps). These are the recording rate/res taken from their spec:

http://www.nuvico.com/product_images/XG%20series%20DVR.16.pdf

240pps @ 320x240

120pps @ 720x240

60pps @720x480 ----- damn!

Well, at least it gives me the 720x480 option. But the frame rate penalty (60pps) is not acceptable in our app. Are there DVRs which allow me to record at 720x480 and "half-real-time" on at least one channel (please!!!), and only penalize the other 15 channels?

Thanks in advance! Installation "done" but customer unhappy

Unfortunatelly, that's one of the limitations of Stand Alones. Isn't there an option, maybe under the camera's setup menu to say at what speed to record that particular camera?

Maybe a Phone Call to Nuvico might help to fix the Problem.

Sorry, Nuvico is not the one I've installed. I just came across it while looking for a remedy.

I may be wrong.... but I thought even with PC-based, althuogh we can set a different fps for each camera, all are still cap'ed by the upper bound.

E.g. on a 240-fps/16-ch system, although each cam has a picklist for me to choose the recording rate, the highest is still 15fps. Even if I set most of them to only 5 fps, it still won't allow me to set the remaining cams to 30fps (despite the bandwidth I've "saved" earlier).

Video Insight can go beyond 15 per camera, 30 max per group of 2x8 groups, on the 240 cards. why such a high fps requirement?

Thanks. Will take a look at Video Insight. I suppose you mean at that rate, it's also supporting 640x480 too? As mentioend, I found 640x240 quality a bit bothering due to the stair-casing with edges (at least in the vertical dimension; horiz. res. is fine).

The cam is for an entrance, catching the faces of everyone entering the building. It's turning doors so people tend to "walk very fast" while following the momentum/speed of the rotating doors. Worst still the doors block people's face and only reveal them in the "last minute", when people emerge from it, but the next second the guys are already gone in most cases. I could have widen the camera coverage but then can't see details of faces.

I'm thrilled after taking a closer look at Video Insight. Too bad didn't pay enough attention to it before, although I read about it in other threads. I like their approach to integrating analog and IP cams. Hope the IP server license won't cost a a lot more. Anyway, will find out.

VST_Man, its flexible fps assignment will likely solve my problem. Thanks. Since I like the product (so much & so far , I'm now tempted to relax on that 640x480 REC requirement. Recording rate is more important, when a guy is gone, he's gone. On the other hand, hopefully I can do something about image quality, e.g. if I zoom in the camera further, perhaps can live with some blocky pixels...

thanks

another nice feature is the the post motion recording and pre motion recording settings will catch all of the action you are looking to record on video. ie. man walks in and stops walking, car stops driving, ect.

and this just some of the neat features you will find with Video Insight's software package that they write and support in house. you'll be able to tweak the on screen area's you don't want motion detection and make those area's that require more motion sensitivity work for you.

i could rant and rave a bit more but that would make rory and herminshs jealous again

Video Insight needs a 4 channel version! They did last December (as I received a quote on one)... now they do not!

Thanks Thomas for the encoraging info. But I just found this FAQ at your site.

"R11. What resolution is available in recording?

Each camera can be set at 320x240 and 640x480. 240fps is only possible when the resolution is set at 320x240."

My question: Since fps is dynamically and freely assigned to individual channels, what does the 240fps part mean? Does it say I can still record at 640x480 as long as the total fps added up on all channels is below 240fps (e.g. 220fps summed?)

More specifically, can I have JUST ONE channel recording at 640x480 **and** at 30fps (which is all I need)? As long as I set all the other channels to 5fps, then I still haven't reached the 240 limit spec'd in the FAQ. Or have I?

Please correct me if necessary. Thanks.

I would like to know this as well. From my understanding, the FAQ is not updated and they actually have 704x240 720x480 options now for example.

GEs Stand Alones allow individual recording speed settings on each camera.

Unfortunately it is still just 60pps in 720x480, but 2 cams at 15 and the rest at the left over speed. Isnt that what you want??

Rory

Oh, I don't even need 2, just 1 cam is good enough. Looks like it's meeting my requirement.

So you sound like all GE standalones support dynamic fps assignment. COOL!!

(I'm now feeling a strong force pulling back into the embeddeds arena.....

One more thought...

If we compare GE standalones with Nuvico XG series .... both support 60pps at 720x480, but you see how big a difference dynamic fps assignment can make. I hope this feature will be supported in more DVRs.

The Iview PC Card I have here, and im sure most others(?), also allow that. The cheaper stand alones normally dont.

Rory

One more thought...

If we compare GE standalones with Nuvico XG series .... both support 60pps at 720x480, but you see how big a difference dynamic fps assignment can make. I hope this feature will be supported in more DVRs.

Except GE is twice the price

The FAQ is a little out of date. The site is being updated to reflect the new VJ cards. They offer alot more options for recording. The V30 cards were discontinued for a number of reasons, but mostly because the 4 camera isn't profitable for us. Our main market tends to be large installs and they aren't looking at four but thirty-two or sixty-four cameras.

We group cameras into groups based on shared compression chips. Each chip handles 30 fps. On the VJ240 two cameras would share a chip. So if that second camera isn't turned on, then the camera would get a chip to itself. The resolution doesn't affect the FPS, but it does affect CPU usage. The reason we don't see a drop in FPS with an increase in resolution is the design method. Standalones do it a little more elgantly to save power/horsepower needs. But it doesn't scale up as well. Our method is a little more brute force but it scales up a little better.

Hi Rory, I like I-View too. But as mentioned above (3rd posting from top) it doesn't allow me to "donate" fps between channels.

So for a 240fps setup, 15fps is always the highest speed I can see in the recording speed pick list. I tried reducing the fps on many channels, but all pick lists are still static / unchanged.

Hi Rory, I like I-View too. But as mentioned above (3rd posting from top) it doesn't allow me to "donate" fps between channels.

So for a 240fps setup, 15fps is always the highest speed I can see in the recording speed pick list. I tried reducing the fps on many channels, but all pick lists are still static / unchanged.

They change for me ... you have to click OK.

When you do "same as preview" it will record the fastest speed available for the card. Yes they could make it easier.

Also, 15pps is basically real time to the human eye.

Edited by Guest

Cool screenshots!! GE double the price? Fact is to a poor installer like me Nuvico XG doesn't sound cheap at all

Does 'Same as preview' == 30 FPS?

It must since im getting real time recording

Well, actually it must mean whatever the top available display speed is for that camera depending on the board. Ill have to read the manual and see what it sais on that.

Herm has used more of these than me so maybe he can tune in on it.?

I think the only true real time card they have is the 4 channel XP card, meaning you can add 4 cards to get 16 cameras at 30fps per camera. They just came out with a 16 channel version of that also.

Edited by Guest

lets not get into whos the poorest, i was to have a root canal 3 months ago, spent many weeks on pain killers up to now, just went in today and had a temporary filling for now so I can eat on that side finally!!!! until it comes out again ... 2 more fillings left!!!! Oh yeah, and to save some money I had it done without a needle ...

I am the poorest.

Let me back up.... It' OK to be a poor installer, but the real problem is my customers are even more so

(time to move our business to the Bahamas?)