tmescan

Live view camera freeze

What would cause the live view of certain outdoor cameras to freeze up? The indoor cameras work fine but the oudoor cams constantly freeze up . After turning off/on power supply the cameras work for a little bit then do the same thing. All cameras are rated 12VDC and the power supply more than handle all the cams...any ideas? Thanks

What make are DVR and cameras?

did you try to connect outdoor camera instead of indoor one or to monitor, preferably analog, to see what's going on?

Its just a no name stand alone 16 channel. No i havent tried that...do you think somehow the cameras are not compatible? They look fine when run to a test monitor....thanks

Some DVRs will display a frozen image when they lose signal. Some will freeze if the feed is noisy. If the cameras display fine on a monitor, then the cameras are not the problem.

It's possible that the DVR is simply failing, or that just those inputs are failing. Try swapping inputs of one of the "problem" cameras with one of the stable ones... see if the freezing moves with the camera, or stays with its original channel. For example: if camera 1 is good and 2 freezes, switch them, and see if 1 now freezes, or if it's still 2. That will help narrow down whether the problem is with the DVR itself.

The 4 outside camera runs range from 50-250ft so they arent too long...I tried switching inputs (outdoor cam to indoor cam spot) but that just recreated the same problems at there new channel. It really just seems like they dont agree with the dvr...

The 4 outside camera runs range from 50-250ft so they arent too long...I tried switching inputs (outdoor cam to indoor cam spot) but that just recreated the same problems at there new channel. It really just seems like they dont agree with the dvr...

what size power supply are you using. ???

Are you viewing the monitor output, or over the network?

My DVR, when viewed over the network, shows motion when the dvr detects motion (only set for motion record) - but shows the last still image when the 'detected' motion stops.

Just a thought.

If the core of the "problem" IS the DVR, then "fixing" it by boosting the signal is just throwing good money after bad. You'll probably end up replacing the DVR eventually anyway as other channels flake out; better to do it NOW and not waste money trying to simply kludge around the issue.

what makes it a bad dvr? the cable runs are not long enough to need an amp...cams are rated at 200mA and i have a 18port 12A power supply

Bad DVR - as any other piece of any equipment - makes poor design and implementation.

It's rather hard to point on a specific problem. From my own experience it seem like DVR recognizes signal with voltage above certain threshold, which is set above standard.

I

You really should test these cameras - in their present locations and with present cabling - with another DVR.

And as Soundy have said if it's DVR - replace it if you can because it's very likely that the unit will fail within less than a year.