Anthony A.

NVR with spot/split screen output

Im looking for an NVR for use with IP cameras that provides an output that can be watched on a TV. What are my options? I have always used analog cameras and used a coax run with rca end to watch the signal via composite on a tv. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Vigil systems can handle it. You could use a Vigil hybrid system, with a capture card that provides a "software multiplexor" output to standard monitors... or use a straight NVR and run Vigil's "HD Viewer" app, that will generate as many different IP-camera views as you want through additional video heads (ie. using one or more dual-head video cards). This option provides far better live views, as it's driving VGA/DVI displays at full resolution.

Im looking for an NVR for use with IP cameras that provides an output that can be watched on a TV. What are my options? I have always used analog cameras and used a coax run with rca end to watch the signal via composite on a tv. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

You can use a hybrid dvr with matrix decoder to output to a TV with composite input

Thanks.

AVerMedia DVR cards support IP without separate license. Number of IP cams is limited depending on card used. The 16 camera cards also allow for configuration of which cameras get placed on the monitor out feed, e.g. watch cams in grids of 4, 9, or 16 cameras, a single camera, 1 largish image and 7 small ones etc. (see below for the TV OUT set-up page of this function on a NV6240 16 camera card). This card will support up to 16 cameras in total of which up to 16 may be IP cameras without the need to pay for a separate license.

NJD

1995673274_TV-OutAVerMediaNV6240.jpg.8d287dc8ade4cdba62fbd4f573d032a4.jpg

Thanks.

AVerMedia DVR cards support IP without separate license. Number of IP cams is limited depending on card used. The 16 camera cards also allow for configuration of which cameras get placed on the monitor out feed, e.g. watch cams in grids of 4, 9, or 16 cameras, a single camera, 1 largish image and 7 small ones etc. (see below for the TV OUT set-up page of this function on a NV6240 16 camera card). This card will support up to 16 cameras in total of which up to 16 may be IP cameras without the need to pay for a separate license.

NJD

I remember Avermedia can not display IP cam on TV display

Can you confirm this ?

Thx

I think the point is, most video cards don't have RCA out, and still not all TVs have HDMI or VGA input. Plus, that would at best just allow you to run a clone of the desktop, or maybe extend the desktop and move the camera windows there... but then you don't have them on the main desktop. None of these are solutions for a dedicated "spot" type display of cameras only.

just use the video card output? eg. RCA or HDMI or even the VGA.

I was simply referring to " NJD " post about Aver

He sugest to use TV Out from 6240

my point I don't think TV out will display IP cam

What works with what I don't have any problem

Yes but I was replying to the OP.

All depends whether the "TV Out" provides a rendered display, or simply switches one of the analog inputs. If it will do split-screen/multi-screen, my guess would be that it's rendered and will likely do the IP cams as well.

Thanks.

NJD

Can you confirm this ?

Thx

avermedia does display ip on display or anyother outlet it has hdmi/vga/comp.

The original poster went AWOL but anyways it is so simple, just buy any pc or nvr with hdmi or VGA output and hook it to the TV input.

What gets difficult is if you have multiple megapixel ip cameras and are storing a lot of video - the processor will get stressed. In such case you should purchase a dedicated box to act as spot viewer, thus taking the stress off your nvr.

I created software to run on any pc that turns it into a free spot viewer device, and the cameras can be controlled via IP commands, so you can use any remote control to change the camera being currently viewed. Also useful if you have a mishmash of ip camera brands. As long as the cam can be viewed in a browser it will work in my free app. Any control system can control the app , such as AMX, Crestron, control4, URC, RTI, harmony, etc.

No more having to move the mouse to select the camera showing!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21393

Building this app was the result of failing to find a nvr capable of 16 HD ip cams AND infrared remote control support.

thanks for all the responses. im still here and researching the posts suggested but i have concluded that i am going to go the direction of using a capture card on my newly built server. i see avermedia has cards, what are my other options? im looking for an 8 channel card as this will give me room for future expansion.

in regards to outputting the image to the tv, i guess i could always use an av converter from the vga/hdmi output of the capture card to the display. but them i can only have 1 display and would need to get matrix distribution switches which is more work than its worth.

now i was wondering how smooth a 3mp ip camera would look if i streamed it. do all ip cams have specific ip addresses that i can pull up on a browser window, without seeing the full control panel GUI?

or, if i use 2 mobotix cameras, i guess i could stream them without the need of a capture card. woud this be the best way to go?

Edited by Guest

Can you confirm this ?

Thx

avermedia does display ip on display or anyother outlet it has hdmi/vga/comp.

I have 2 AverMedia cards in my shop right now. The NV6240E16 (16 camera card) will show analog or IP cams on TV out, AVerMedia datasheet says the NV6240E8 card will too. The NV5000 shows analog cams only on TV out. Running the 7.7.0.0039 SP2 software.

I think Soundy's guess is right on the money :

All depends whether the "TV Out" provides a rendered display, or simply switches one of the analog inputs. If it will do split-screen/multi-screen, my guess would be that it's rendered and will likely do the IP cams as well.

NJD

for Soundy:

This is Bunny.

He has achieved domination of my household.

Domination of the world will take a little longer.

wilbur-cropped.jpg.0c2a9c17aab38fa5112abe1dcd238bf8.jpg

Edited by Guest

now i was wondering how smooth a 3mp ip camera would look if i streamed it.

It will depend on the bandwidth of the connection you're streaming it over, the framerate, and the type and level of compression used. Streaming out over the internet will probably be pretty "jumpy" unless you use really heavy compression.

do all ip cams have specific ip addresses that i can pull up on a browser window, without seeing the full control panel GUI?

All of them that I've worked with do. Going to the IP with no parameters gives the basic interface, but you can generally add parameters to the URL to tell it to display with or without window controls, to set the window size, and so on.

or, if i use 2 mobotix cameras, i guess i couls stream them without the need of a capture card. woud this be the best way to go?

You don't need a capture card at all if you use IP cams; it's not special to Mobotix. Capture cards are used to digitize analog video. IP cameras digitize the video internally and stream it over the network. The DVR/NVR simply receives and writes to disk a copy of that stream.

hmm, okay now im even more confused on a solution that would fit my needs. all i really want to do is modulate the ip cameras to either an input on each display or a channel. now i see that this really isn't possible at the moment, the same way analog cams can be modulated. so i have researched extensively on something that coupld modulate HD signals over coax and have come up with the zeevee box 150 or 170. this unit is an hd modulator that "streams" a signal over coax. now its main use is hooking up a pc input and modulating it over an empty channel, so i think this may be my solution for getting the cameras to multiple displays.

however, now comes the part that im still confused on. if i purchase a capture card and install it on my main server (which i also use as a desktop pc), i would have to leave the nvr software running all the time and have it take up the entire desktop (as the zeevee shows the desktop as it is). since my server is a multi-use system, this simply isn't feasible. so next option is to buy a small form pc such as an asus eeebox, install the biggest hdd that will fit and have that pc dedicated to running the software and leave it maximized on the desktop. this way, when i tune into the channel, it will display the desktop page which will have the nvr software showing the cameras.

now this is more money than i want to spend on a clunky setup, but is it the only way? or, do hybrid dvr's all have vga output that i can use as a monitor output?

You CAN get devices that will receive the IP camera signal and output analog video... but what's the point of that? You take all that hi-res goodness and crush it down to 720x480 again.

The whole point of IP cameras is that you DON'T NEED a capture card at all - the DVR/NVR simply receives the IP camera video over the network, in its full transmitted quality. This is the case with ANY IP cameras, not just Mobotix. Mobitix are just like any other IP cameras, with some extra-spiffy bells and whistles.

however, now comes the part that im still confused on. if i purchase a capture card and install it on my main server (which i also use as a desktop pc), i would have to leave the nvr software running all the time and have it take up the entire desktop (as the zeevee shows the desktop as it is).

That depends on the software. Some of them take over the entire desktop. Others don't.

since my server is a multi-use system, this simply isn't feasible. so next option is to buy a small form pc such as an asus eeebox, install the biggest hdd that will fit and have that pc dedicated to running the software and leave it maximized on the desktop. this way, when i tune into the channel, it will display the desktop page which will have the nvr software showing the cameras.

Here's the thing: recording multiple video channels is a system-intensive task. IN GENERAL, YOU ALWAYS WANT A DEDICATED MACHINE FOR IT, and it has nothing to do with whether the display fills the desktop. The video processing can adversely affect other tasks, causing the machine to run slowly and respond poorly; also, running other tasks can adversely affect the video recording, causing dropped frames and other glitches.

We build and install DVR and NVR systems all the time using Shuttle mini-cube cases; these generally hold two drives so we use a smaller (80GB or so) drive for a dedicated system drive, and a larger (500GB-1TB) drive for data. If you're doing all-IP though, and don't need the room for a capture card, you can even use a laptop or netbook.

now this is more money than i want to spend on a clunky setup, but is it the only way? or, do hybrid dvr's all have vga output that i can use as a monitor output?

Are you talking about an individual spot-monitor output, separate from the regular desktop monitor? Some cards can do this; some can't. However, if you're running all-IP, it would be kind of excessive to have a full DVR card just to use the output (although I have seen it done).

However, there are other ways to do it as well. There are software packages that can show one or more IP cameras in one or more dedicated full-screen displays using multiple VGA video heads - like having a multi-monitor setup, where one is your desktop and the others are strictly cameras.

Thanks.

NJD

The spot out on Avermedia cards is ONLY for analog cams. Will not output IP cameras.

thank you all for helping out a total noob!!

so i guess i should steer away from a capture card since i will be doing only IP cameras. from the sounds of it, a dedicated pc will probably be my best option. modulate that pc using a zeevee and have the camera window always active on the desktop. so by going this route, what kind of specs would i need? would an atom based pc like 1.6ghz with 1gb ram be sufficient? how much space does a 3mp camera consume recording if its running all the time? and finally, if i use a dedicated pc running the dvr software, can i have it save the recording data on the server? will this still slow down the server?

Edited by Guest

No no no, no zeevee. From what I can find on it, it's designed to send HDTV (component/DVI/HDMI/whatever) over a single coax? This is not required with an IP camera.

Plug camera into network.

Plug PC into network.

Install and setup NVR software.

Tell NVR software the IP address of the camera.

That's all there is to it.

yes, but i still need something to modulate the signal to 3 separate displays around the house. hence why the zeevee makes sense as it will modulate whatever signal i input and make a channel so i can view it on all my tv's using standard coaxial cable throughout the house.

Thanks.

NJD

The spot out on Avermedia cards is ONLY for analog cams. Will not output IP cameras.

Hi bpzle. 7.7 does let you pick ip on tv out i have a spot monitor showing 4 sanyo ip.

and also on the new cards you have 3 vga progamable outputs (ooppps sorry you might not have these in the US yet)

What IP cameras are you using?

its a toss up between using mobotix m12 for driveway and d24 for porch or arecont 3135. night performance is crucial since it is very dark in my neighbourhood but i also want it to capture faces when there is a lot of motion. maybe will need a raytec ir illuminator.