stevepeck1

Need advice on camera/DVR to go in a car!

Hello all,

I have a unique situation. Have a company that as part of our job, we make inspections through residential neighborhoods. We write up violations of community rules and send letters. (Yeah, I know. We hate it too)

We drive a company Prius slowly through each neighborhood and pause to write. I would like to have a small-footprint DVR (to go in the front passenger floor) or any size one with a remote that would be fine in the rear cargo area that could be started and stopped as we enter and leave each community.

Ideally it would have a ridiculously large data capacity in excess of a month (weekday visits last about 4 hours a day so that would be about 84 hours/month) so that we needn't worry about data overwriting.

We would want very good-quality daytime cameras for images out to 60 feet that would do basically google maps quality images but a little better, perhaps to be able to read a street sign as we go by.

We'd want to mount cameras on suction type "cop" mounts to cover front and sides, or clamps to grab bars. Not picky on this point.

What's fairly important is being able to pull pictures (maybe video?) off it without having to disassemble everything. Maybe by a usb drive or memory card something. I can see most DVRs being a huge pain when some person says "I mowed my yard" and I need to prove otherwise.

Of course I recognize there would be an inverter required and some mental gymnastics on camera mounts.

My budget is under $1,000 but preferably less (of course). Sincerely appreciate ideas!

-Steve

Here's an idea: use an IP camera or two (megapixel, ideally), and load a laptop up with NVR software. Then when you get in the car, you just bring the laptop along and plug it in (wire a small switch with the cameras in the car), and record to that. Pictures can then be readily printed or exported from the laptop; if you add an internet stick, you could even email pictures and videos directly out. When the day is done, bring the laptop inside, and back it up to a big external drive.

You could pull it off with any $400-$500 laptop or netbook, and probably get away with cheaper $300-$400 Acti or similar "bargain" megapixel cameras... the only other costs would be a bit for the wiring, the switch, and the hard drive. A good netbook will give you well over 4 hours of battery life (opt for high-capacity battery if possible) so you don't need to power it while in the car for a four-hour tour.

Other ideas: instead of a switch, use an inexpensive N router, and just use the laptop wirelessly. Most of these have 5, 9, or 12VDC adapters, so it would be easy to rig a voltage regulator to power it directly off the car's system. Ditto the cameras, which are usually 12VDC-powered. For another $200-$300, you could add a "portable" inkjet printer, and print your photos on-the-spot.

My budget is under $1,000 but preferably less

Lol, I guess you have never priced CCTV equipment. You should just buy a consumer camcorder.

My budget is under $1,000 but preferably less

Lol, I guess you have never priced CCTV equipment. You should just buy a consumer camcorder.

thats probably the better option. simply record what you want, as per event or violation. security cams are better for recording things constantly so you can review and see things that you miss.

Hello all,

I have a unique situation. Have a company that as part of our job, we make inspections through residential neighborhoods. We write up violations of community rules and send letters. (Yeah, I know. We hate it too)

We drive a company Prius slowly through each neighborhood and pause to write. I would like to have a small-footprint DVR (to go in the front passenger floor) or any size one with a remote that would be fine in the rear cargo area that could be started and stopped as we enter and leave each community.

Ideally it would have a ridiculously large data capacity in excess of a month (weekday visits last about 4 hours a day so that would be about 84 hours/month) so that we needn't worry about data overwriting.

We would want very good-quality daytime cameras for images out to 60 feet that would do basically google maps quality images but a little better, perhaps to be able to read a street sign as we go by.

We'd want to mount cameras on suction type "cop" mounts to cover front and sides, or clamps to grab bars. Not picky on this point.

What's fairly important is being able to pull pictures (maybe video?) off it without having to disassemble everything. Maybe by a usb drive or memory card something. I can see most DVRs being a huge pain when some person says "I mowed my yard" and I need to prove otherwise.

Of course I recognize there would be an inverter required and some mental gymnastics on camera mounts.

My budget is under $1,000 but preferably less (of course). Sincerely appreciate ideas!

-Steve

Mega Pix Cam with SD Card recording and Alarm input

Click button start

Click button stop recording

Then pull video from Card in office or whatever

i wouldn't call that a mobile DVR.

the big thing its missing is regulated 12v output for the cameras.

i'm running an older AVerDiGi MOB1304, http://www.avermedia.com/averdigi/product/Products.aspx?cid=16

which is probably one of the cheaper good mobile recorders around.

i've seen some odd unknown brand 2 channel "taxi" camera setups floating around the net.

the big thing is how much detail do you expect. very easy to get a rough overview but may not give you the sort of detail your expecting (ie show a person but not a recognizable face) depending on cameras used, which is relative to cost.

the new avermedia mobile units are very good and with wifi all you need is park your car outside your home or office and down load footage from your network and i would use 300x zoom cnb box cameras.

but you are going to need a monitor also so as you can see what you are recording. you might be better with a set-up like this dvr/monitor and 2 good quality cameras. 129714_1.jpg

Google DVRM10. I just bought one and it is awesome. The metalwork is on the cheap side but the capability of the unit makes it a winner. It is 4 channels, H.264. Has GPS capability, can record G forces, right/left turns, speed increases, etc. The site also has vehicular cameras, and small cased (1"x1" ) cameras. The unit has a 250 GB SATA hard drive in it which is suspended by springs. Max HD size is 1 TB.

google dm1704h and you will probably get your better results.

Yup, that is it. Here is a still.

tn_cam01-20100703-170607.jpg.5d34c5a9d999b49141e3a8bb076cf5be.jpg

dvr man.......what lens is that camera using ?

The lens is a Computar f1.3, 2.8-12 mm TG4Z28FCS-IR. It is mounted on a Panasonic CP454 camera and set at 2.8. The DVR is not set at max resolution.

Here's my first try using a lappy

Good work! Doesn't the IR reflect off your windshield at night?

Ditch the car and get one of these. also earn money from google.

budget%20car%20cam.jpg

Does it come with a motor?

Here's my first try using a lappy

Good work! Doesn't the IR reflect off your windshield at night?

one of the problems you do get is any light from the inside reflecting off the windows into the camera. ideally the cameras need to be sealed up to the window.

To isolate the IR from windshield glare you would have to have a light tight tube from the lens o.d. to the windshield. If the camera has a fast lens, you could just open it and disconnect the IR board. Then you could use the cam day and night (headlights).

quite right. sorry forgot the IR is built in on that cam. the IR is pointless on the front anyway due to very limited range and when its dark you have the headlights on.

would be interesting to do some testing and see if sideways pointing IR would help, eg light up some of the darker areas out to the side of the headlights.

my rear camera has IR, but i removed it and fitted IR externally as the IR kept reflecting back into the lens. also the IR tends to turn off due to lights from other vehicles, so i blacked out the sensor and connected the IR to the rear lights.

Its not too bad, picked up the dirt on my dashboard...I have a copy of some recording, I will find it and put it up