tondar

Which FTP site does everyone like to use?

I bought my system from Mike at Shoreview. I was also paying a yearly subscription to use his FTP site for my DVR to upload motion detection video. Well Mike has apparently disappeared (hope he's OK, he was a pleasure to deal with) and his FTP site is non-responsive. Thus I am in need of a new site. Preferably one that was similar to Mike's. I was using CoreFTP Lite to access my site.

Any suggestions? Probably only need ~2gb

Thanx

Tony

Have you considered renting your own Virtual Private Server (VPS) ? I don't know how much you were paying per month to Mike, but there are some decent VPS's available from around $18 per month.

I just run my own web/ftp/file/mail server at home. We also have our own running in the office. If you have a broadband connection at home or the office, you can do this with just about any old working machine - my home system is a Pentium III/1GHz.

My old Dell PowerEdge mailserver is still running nicely as well - it's a dual-PII/233MHz running OS/2 Warp Server. In fact, the main reason I took the web and ftp servers off that machine was that it's all SCSI and it was just too bloody expensive to add space to it, otherwise everything would probably still be running on that.

And I've used my "personal webspace" at my cable ISP for this purpose as well.

I just run my own web/ftp/file/mail server at home.

I used to run everything on my own equipment, and still do for some things just due to entropy, but if you run the numbers, it's often far cheaper to just do it in the cloud. Large server farms with acres of equipment racks are extremely economical to lease some space. I just paid Hostmonster about $200 for a three year extension, and I host a dozens of websites, many email addresses with Postini spam filtering, ftp accounts, SQL databases, and numerous other services. They provide high uptime, backups, UPS, and high bandwidth.

Best,

Christopher

I just run my own web/ftp/file/mail server at home.

I used to run everything on my own equipment, and still do for some things just due to entropy, but if you run the numbers, it's often far cheaper to just do it in the cloud. Large server farms with acres of equipment racks are extremely economical to lease some space. I just paid Hostmonster about $200 for a three year extension, and I host a dozens of websites, many email addresses with Postini spam filtering, ftp accounts, SQL databases, and numerous other services. They provide high uptime, backups, UPS, and high bandwidth.

Best,

Christopher

This is all true, and I've actually been planning for a while now to move most of my hosted stuff off-site (Dreamhost came highly recommended to me). I'll probably still keep my own up as well though, as it's far more convenient to just toss files on a network share when I want them available online, especially as it's easy to just save files to the share directly.

Today I heard that a network of, lets say, 20 Mega Pixel IP Cameras can be set to automatically download the on-board SD Card of each camera to an FTP site. Is this true? Thanks