frosted

pc based vs dvr machines

wow you as much of a forum junkie as me

note - my other business is webdesign and database stuff so thats my exhuse!

thanks mate. i think a lot of my local compatition use these one. i will have a look. cheers again

frosted

No prob yeah its 5.40am here and im ready to finally get a couple hours sleep ..

if you truly want to beat your COP SECURITY competition see if you can find this in the UK ..

http://www.active-tek.com/jun/HtmlPro/product1-1.htm

Ask about the version with the CDRW.

Here is a PDF on the CDRW version from another rep in the US:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/uploads/tm4cd.pdf

The Model number is that of the US Rep so ignore it, it is made by the company above called ActiveTek.

Main Features:

MPEG-4

USB

CDRW

4-ch Audio

VGA Output

Rory

ideal. well ive just registered to go to the big show thats at the NEC in birmingham. a company has offered me free tickets . funney!

so im going to go and workout products and everything. perfect timing really. going to ask my client if he minds waiting a week until ive seen the products to best decide!

frosted

see if you can find this one, the ActiveTek.

for dead cheap look for the AvTech (totally different from ActiveTek)

Also, there are some other dead cheap DVRs, that basically have no name ...

Also see if GE is there. they make great High end stand alones (used to be called Kalatel), ive used them for 4 years never been back to one, ever.

Here is another one sold in the UK:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1988

Rory

Edited by Guest

ideal. thankyou again

im looking forward to getting everything setup and going. looks like im goign to this show on monday which will be ideal.

no problem ... ive been wondering what the industry is like over there as my brother is in manchester and been trying to get me there for a while now. I thought it was dead and that i would probably have to just do web development if I did go ...i write ASP and VB ..

time for a couple hours sleep now

So frosted, you're off to IFSEC! Good luck mate!!

If you have time, it's worth doing a bit of homework before you go - have a look at the show website for the exhibitors list - http://www.ifsec.co.uk

Try and short list perhaps ten 'must see' manufacturers, and then do your best not to get too confused or blinded by science. There's over 700 exhibitors and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it ... honest, I really can't tell you

You've had loads of useful info from the other guys.

Just to quickly clarify a couple of points though; if you are watching staff activities, your client will need to register the CCTV system under the Data Protection Act and it will need to be compliant with the legislation.

Also the overt / covert argument could pretty much fill a book on its own. Generally speaking, in the UK overt cameras do have a measurable deterrent effect, but not if the target is 'out of their head' on drink or drugs.

If there is an ongoing problem with damage / vandalism, the golden rule is covert first to achieve a result, then you can always go overt later on. It rarely if ever works the other way around.

So, who else is off to the show .....? Come to think of it, probably not the right place for that question (best to start another thread, eh).

well im getting exited by it too. lucky timing considering the fact im just properly starting up! ,

maybe be possible to meet up to get some first hand advice if you are going to be at the show on monday?

im very thankfull the forum members as i am getting very good open honest advice. still cant belive i found this forum by absolute chance!!!!

i think you are right about the golden rule. makes total sence tbo.

best regards

frosted.

As long as you are not actively targeting a specific member of staff (hard to prove anyway) its totaly legal here to use cctv to monitor your business.