sueum

Can you identify this please?

Hi

Can you help and identify the item on the fence please, its on my fence, it was put there by my neighbour but I cant do anything about it, its about the size of a domestic light switch,

many thanks

Sue

1140398250_013-Copy.thumb.JPG.22e4683c4d9332d98b689f0dcc4d92e0.JPG

Hi Sue.

Partially grew up in Devon myself ..

Cant say what it is ... do you think it might be a camera?

If its on your fence why cant you do anything about it?

Cant really make out what the cable is.

My worry is that if I remove it ‘he’ my neighbour will claim that I have damaged it and all that goes with it,

My first thoughts were an external push button to video cameras or microphones in his shed near by,

In the picture you might see his camera and on the right of the base plate a little shiny thing perhaps a microphone and above the steel bars standing up there is a hole in the shed wall with something that looks like a lens in there

He seems to wait at this point or suddenly appears there when I am there, he suddenly starts shouting abuse and obscenities at me over the fence, then he stops and looks at me and laughs then he goes quiet, then he seems to be waiting for a reaction from me, it feels like a ploy to use what would seem like unprovoked contact with him on tape if he was to push the button at this point, if it is a button, I don’t know what to do

Sue

62510620_StolenRoadCoans003-Copy(2).JPG.ed7dfc306bd5c99fd097b29eeac90bf5.JPG

My worry is that if I remove it ‘he’ my neighbour will claim that I have damaged it and all that goes with it,

My first thoughts were an external push button to video cameras or microphones in his shed near by,

In the picture you might see his camera and on the right of the base plate a little shiny thing perhaps a microphone and above the steel bars standing up there is a hole in the shed wall with something that looks like a lens in there

He seems to wait at this point or suddenly appears there when I am there, he suddenly starts shouting abuse and obscenities at me over the fence, then he stops and looks at me and laughs then he goes quiet, then he seems to be waiting for a reaction from me, it feels like a ploy to use what would seem like unprovoked contact with him on tape if he was to push the button at this point, if it is a button, I don’t know what to do

Sue

[attachment=0]Stolen Road Coans 003 - Copy (2).JPG[/attachment]

that is a very old B/w micromark 1 camera cctv. and the fence part is an extra sensor.

Maxicam PIR floodlight, hidden CCTV camera in a PIR floodlight, black & white picture, plugs into your aerial system via a suuplied modulator (optional) to view on any connected TV, 120 degree PIR sensor detects movement and switches lights ON for approx, 4 minutes (automatic nighttime only), remotecontrol keyfob temporarily switches floodlight ON to see the camera view at night-time, 300watt lamp, 17mts of cable and key fob.

Product Code : MM40012

a cheap lasser pen will sort it out

or some cheap oil paint

or some cheap oil paint

LOL it's ok for you guy's but I dont know what you are talkin bout!

can you tell me what it means please?

and thank you for the infomation on the cctv,..

So it is a sensor on the fence? yes?

sue

From tom's description, I'd say the thing on your fence is a motion sensor of some sort, deigned to trigger the camera and/or floodlight.

But... if this is on YOUR side of the fence, accessible only from your property, does this not mean your neighbor would have had to trespass on your property to install it? Can you not have him charged for this? You would certainly have the right to take it down - let him get you on camera; if it's on your property, there should be nothing he can do about it.

No hun, its on his side of the fence,

Thank you guys for your pm,

And your help on the QT

I see you also have a good sense of humour

Will your advice in my PM work on his CCTV in this picture below please,

This camera in the bowl points straight into my window, if you look closely you will see the lens is in the bottom right hand corner of the bowl, it is mounted on a tall piece of wood outside my front door, he tells the Police it is looking up the road for his security sake,

is it a real CCTV?

The Police make him turn the wood to face the camera away from my window but he turns it back again when the Police have gone

815924967_looksintomywindow.JPG.c20112cbcc48c17a9c3f0720f2c87526.JPG

looks like it might be a cheap Color Infrared dome .. pointing any light source at it will likely blind it. It may not see much at all though as it is, the leaves alone could be causing the IR to reflect back onto the lens. He sounds rude in general but maybe he is genuinely using it for security and not peeping?

No hun, its on his side of the fence,

Thank you guys for your pm,

And your help on the QT

I see you also have a good sense of humour

Will your advice in my PM work on his CCTV in this picture below please,

This camera in the bowl points straight into my window, if you look closely you will see the lens is in the bottom right hand corner of the bowl, it is mounted on a tall piece of wood outside my front door, he tells the Police it is looking up the road for his security sake,

is it a real CCTV?

The Police make him turn the wood to face the camera away from my window but he turns it back again when the Police have gone

[attachment=0]looks into my window.JPG[/attachment]

It sounds like you may have a case of nuisance.

The enforcing authority is the Local Authority (it will not hurt to keep your local councillor informed.

Best thing is to keep a diary of activities, ask the police to come round (record the numbers of the policeman involved & see if they make a report) and see if they can get him to turn the camera away, and then take photographs when he turns it back.

If possible get a camcorder to record any verbal abuse.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

I’m not being difficult but he does maintain his vision,

I took this picture this morning, it was the closest I could get to it with the close up at its maximum on my camera,

(sorry I cant attach this picture, I dont know why, it worked before)

The Council say it’s over 10 feet high so they can’t get involved

and the road is the other way,

I need to do something, its been going on for three years

Will the light disable his camera even if he is not viewing through it please?

Sue

I’m not being difficult but he does maintain his vision,

I took this picture this morning, it was the closest I could get to it with the close up at its maximum on my camera,

(sorry I cant attach this picture, I dont know why, it worked before)

The Council say it’s over 10 feet high so they can’t get involved

and the road is the other way,

I need to do something, its been going on for three years

Will the light disable his camera even if he is not viewing through it please?

Sue

The Council is talking rubbish.

The height has nothing to do with anything.

If it can be considered that your neighbour is causing a nuisance, then the Council has to act.

Contact your councillor and play up the vulnerable female side of things.

There may also be a case of voyeurism which is a police matter. (Sexual Offences Act, I cannot remember the section, but you can look it up on line)

If all else fails, threaten the council with the ombudsman and the press (peeping tom given the Ok by the council sort of thing, is the summer, a quiet time for press stories)

Ilkie

Ok...

But I keep thinking. What if the camera is not real or does not work, I would look very foolish

and I say that because, the Police have seen him about it so many times and now the Police just say - o’ yes , someone was dealing with that,

the camera might be there now only in the form of annoying me, it's causing me irritation through loss of privacy, but no one is saying

That’s why I wanted to do something about it myself

How can a lazar pen stop it from working? I feel a bit justified here because he can hardly say to the Police that I broke his camera whilst he was watching me in my home

Sue

Ok...

But I keep thinking. What if the camera is not real or does not work, I would look very foolish

Not at all. Unless there's a big sign on it saying "THIS IS A FAKE CAMERA" you have every reason to expect that it's a real camera and that you're being watched and/or recorded. In fact, that's generally the point of fake cameras anyway: to make people THINK they're being monitored, even if they aren't.

the camera might be there now only in the form of annoying me, it's causing me irritation through loss of privacy, but no one is saying

If he did then come out and say, "oh, it's a fake camera, don't worry about it", your next question would be, "then why is it pointed AT ME?" The only reason for someone to do that would be as an intentional nuisance.

How can a lazar pen stop it from working? I feel a bit justified here because he can hardly say to the Police that I broke his camera whilst he was watching me in my home

A laser pointer or bright light won't "disable" the camera as such, but it will "blind" it quite effectively, as long as it's pointing directly into the camera. (Actually a nice powerful green laser pointer would probably fry the camera's sensor in pretty short order... not that we recommend doing such a thing, of course!)

Sue

Phew!..I could not get on the net all of yesterday afternoon

Ok, thank you, I will have another go with the Council - Meanwhile

I have some questions if you don’t mind please,

Why a green Laser, is it better than Red?

What do you mean by strong, what wattage should I look for?

How close should the Laser light be to the lens of the camera

Does his camera have to be switched on and recording for the laser to do its thing

And for how long please

Will this stop it from working for good?

Not that I would do such a thing of course

Look on YouTube for "green laser pops balloons" - it describes how someone modified the laser out of a DVD burner for higher output, well beyond the standard "safe" levels found in commercially-available laser pointers (those are generally <5mW... this one was something like 300+mW).

Something like this probably wouldn't take long to kill the camera's sensor, and the distance wouldn't matter at all - it would probably work just as effectively from half a mile away.

None of the equipment would need to actually be operating for damage to occur... but keep in mind that even a simple cheap red laser pointer would be enough to "blind" the camera as long as it's on (ie. someone looking at the video would only seen a bright red bloom).

Naturally, all this discussion is purely theoretical.

I spent an hour today with a Solicitor, at the end he said the Police or the Council should have it removed, then he gave me his bill,

So........ more money lost and the camera is still there,

So you will undestand how frustrated I am,

There are all kinds of Ideas offered to me like

Cut the wirers

Put a bag over the top

Spray paint on the bowl

Chop the thing down and lots more but it is still there looking at me all the time,

I looked at "green laser pops balloons"

and laser diodes, and kits, but I know nothing about this kind of thing,

it looks a lot more difficult than just a laser pen, with a 1nW output if it is to do the job,and I cant find a stronger one than that in green, can I use the laser in my DVD plaer, that sounds like fun

How many nM’s would fix the lens for me please? I don’t want to set his shed on fire

Sue

I spent an hour today with a Solicitor, at the end he said the Police or the Council should have it removed, then he gave me his bill,

So........ more money lost and the camera is still there,

So you will undestand how frustrated I am,

There are all kinds of Ideas offered to me like

Cut the wirers

Put a bag over the top

Spray paint on the bowl

Chop the thing down and lots more but it is still there looking at me all the time,

I looked at "green laser pops balloons"

and laser diodes, and kits, but I know nothing about this kind of thing,

it looks a lot more difficult than just a laser pen, with a 1nW output if it is to do the job,and I cant find a stronger one than that in green, can I use the laser in my DVD plaer, that sounds like fun

How many nM’s would fix the lens for me please? I don’t want to set his shed on fire

Sue

Hi sue. i made a call for you today. but they say you need to call yourself to get more info. if the camera is over 8ft and not attached to a building then he needs planning permmision. just call devon planning office and ask them to investigate ....... and it does carry a fine.

I'm totally new to security cameras but have been working in the safety field for 25 plus years so thought I would just share some thoughts on the high powered laser idea. Although it might work to damage a camera, I'd recommend against doing that. First off, those high powered lasers are illegal in many areas. Second, they can cause permanent eye damage in a fraction of a second. Third if you do try to disable/damage the camera with the laser and the neighbor catches you in the act or anyone else sees you do it... then you could end up being the one in trouble with the law. Just an FYI, those lasers make a very noticable light trail under humid conditions and the powerful lasers are really very noticable. If you have ever gone to a rock concert, those light shows where you see beams going all over the place in patterns use the higher powered lasers.

I am not an attorney so am certainly not giving legal advice but imho... someone who is going to all that trouble to "bother" you with all that stuff you described is the exact kind of person who would love to catch you trying to damage his property so he can go after you with some legal action. If it were me, I'd just put in curtains or blinds to protect your privacy and ignore the guy.

Very sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get it resolved.

Hi musclecarguy

Of course you are right, I realised very quickly, whilst searching, that lasers were not something to fool around with, and I think the guys knew that too and was just letting me blow off some steam,

It is one of the nice things about form discussion, you say what is on your mind, and then think again before doing anything silly,

It is a great release valve, and then quite often it leads on to something more sensible and appropriate

Tom, thank you so much for your troubles, the Police have been here with me today and then talking to my neighbour, so I will ring the Council tomorrow

Do you want to hear my next mischvious idea?. .if the Police or the Council can’t do anything about the camera, how about disrupting the signal?

regards

Sue

Find a good length of pipe that fits a halogen spot light bulb, paint the inside of the pipe flat black, wire it up for a wall plug, plug it in and point it at the camera from your own window whenever you are home and want privacy. Wait to see how long until the camera gets repositioned. That should show you if you're being viewed from your house. If the police get called to your place, ask why it's OK to point a camera in your window but not OK to stop it. Disrupt the signal with bright light that only shines on the camera.

This sounds fantastic,

will it really work?

..it sounds like the laser light approach but at the signal not damage to the camera, have I understood this properly please?

:lol:

This sounds fantastic,

will it really work?

..it sounds like the laser light approach but at the signal not damage to the camera, have I understood this properly please?

yes any bright light should blind that camera if it is as cheap as we think it is.

Blind the camera or disrupt the transmition signal?

Sorry, have I misunderstood

Since this probably isn't a wireless camera, the only way to disrupt the transmission signal is with a pair of wire cutters.

No, this is just another technique to blind the camera.