SEANHAWG

My quest on getting a PTZ up and Running

I got a load of PTZ's in and I need to get them all tested. I have never dealt with PTZ's before so this was quite an experience for me. I got some sweet Costar Fasttrax high speed domes. Much to my amazement, I got one working with a honeywell DVR that I had. My only problem is that I cannot access the cameras On-Screen Display with the honeywell DVR. Is this a common problem with controlling a PTZ with a DVR? or does this just sound specific to this scenario. I need to access this to I can configure the cameras settings more.

I would like to get a PTZ controller to test all of these but I am concerned that I would have the same problem by not being able to access the menu. What do you think?

I'm not familiar with PTZ systems other than Pelco's. The Pelco Spectra series' camera menus are accessed by a <95> sequence on the CM9760-KBD keyboard. Perhaps other PTZs are also accessed in a similar way.

Hmm, well, if a Costar "Fastrax" is the same as a Capture Fastrax, I'm fairly familiar with those. Speaking strictly from a Vigil DVR standpoint, I've found the cameras don't respond to the standard "Menu" button as defined for Pelco D/P protocols. I think I have to use the "right" button or something to access the menus on them...

You could try downloading "PTZ Controller" from www.serialporttool.com and just try various commands and buttons on it and see if that will get you in. The most reliable way to program a Capture Fastrax camera, that I've found, is with an actual Capture controller...

If you want to send me one of them, I can probably figure it out for you

Yes sir the protocol is a default of Pelco D/P as you said. Luckily, my honeywell DVR had the exact setting for my Costar PTZ in it. I am sure its similar to your Capture, the exact model # is Costar 2500H http://www.costarvideo.com/products/products.aspx?cid=200 I think the Fasttrax model is used by a few different companies because I also seen a Hitron that looked just like these Costars that I got in.

I'll post pics soon with my progress. I got a bunch of these in. I also got some larger Ultrak PTZ's in too. I am eager to test these and get them listed for sell. I'll try that serialportool.

Yes sir the protocol is a default of Pelco D/P as you said. Luckily, my honeywell DVR had the exact setting for my Costar PTZ in it. I am sure its similar to your Capture, the exact model # is Costar 2500H http://www.costarvideo.com/products/products.aspx?cid=200 I think the Fasttrax model is used by a few different companies because I also seen a Hitron that looked just like these Costars that I got in.

Yeah, those look exactly like the Capture cameras:

http://capturecctv.com/product.php?prod_id=523

I got this baby up and running like a charm. I hooked the camera up to some no-name chinese DVR that I recently bought. This was a newer DVR than the Honeywell DVR that I initially tried it with. With the honeywell, I could only pan,tilt, and zoom and the operation was very slow and fidgety and could only be controlled through the front panel since the DVR didnt have a mouse control option. With this generic DVR, there were alot more options, I could increase and decrease the speed and adjust the cameras color settings. The coolest thing about it was that I could control the ptz with the mouse. For example, I would move to the very far right of the screen and the PTZ would go in that direction. I am sure this is normal for most newer DVR's but it was pretty thrilling for me to see this baby in action for the first time. The camera is very smooth and is pretty darn fast at the highest setting. I still cant access the cameras OSD though which is slightly aggravating. There is an IR cut filter option on the camera that I would like to utilize in low light conditions. I am going to pursue the serialportool software. I would like to ask for a recommendation on a RS232 to USB adapter. I assume this would be the best way to get it adapted to the computer??

I am sure its similar to your Capture, the exact model # is Costar 2500H http://www.costarvideo.com/products/products.aspx?cid=200 I think the Fasttrax model is used by a few different companies because I also seen a Hitron that looked just like these Costars that I got in.

This is the one you mean?

http://www.costarvideo.com/products/products.aspx?id=111

CDC2600xip-1.jpg

I see these Costar 2500H's used on Ebay for a nice price. Are they decent performers? I'm just looking for something to play with, but don't want super cheap junk.

Wow, I totally forgot about this post. I feel like that has been years ago. To answer your question, they are awesome cameras and are definetely not junk. They retail for over $1000 new. I got one installed on the front side of my house.

Hi Earl,

No I dont but I'll get some video from my home setup tonight and post it on here. I only wish the camera was a little better at night but its definetely not bad but its definetely not the best either. There is a setting where you can do a slow shutter speed where it dramatically increases the ability to see at night but it makes the video look really wierd (its really more of a cool setting to play with as opposed to really being useful)

That nice of you to offer. I'm really not looking for a night capable camera, just something I can put near our garden so I can see how things are growing. You know, a toy!

Okay here is a pic of the installed camera:

2339854_DSC01472-1.jpg

and here is link to the youtube video of me jacking around with the Costar PTZ today. This is the CDC2500HX model. Very similar to the CDC2500H but a little faster and with more presets and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPytFBIrsg

I'll try to get some nighttime videos and show you that cool slow shutter speed feature. You can see at the beginning of this video when I zoom in on the tire that after a certain point, the optical zoom gives way to the digital zoom. I didnt use digital zoom any more after that in this video, the rest is just optical.

Thanks Sean! That's a nice camera and that looks nice where you have it mounted!

Sean, one more question. I need some more of those inline 10 pin and 12 pin modular connectors the costars use. What are they called? I need to find a source.

To be honest, I dont know what they are called, but I have some extra. If you want to pay shipping you can have a few. PM me for more details.

Hi Sean,

I'm brand new to the world of cctv and I need some guidance. I recently purchased an "Elec H.264 Network DVR" and a Costar Fastrax dome camera (CDC2500H). The stand-alone DVR is controlled completely by mouse or through buttons on the DVR face.

My problem seems to be what you experienced at the beginning of this blog; I can't get any video display even after going through the default DVR setup menu. The owners manual depicts a completely different setup process through the camera menu, but never see that.

I looked at an earlier post and followed the link to PTZ controller software, but it doesn't look as though I can install that on this type of a stand-alone DVR. My assumption is I need to go out and purchase additional hardware, like a joystick type controller.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi,

I would bet that your DVR already has PTZ controls on it. Check the back and see if you see any connections on the DVR that say TX+ TX- (or A and B) If your DVR has PTZ controls than no extra controller is needed. If your DVR does not have PTZ controls, then you will definetely need an extra controller.

When I first brought this post up last year and explained that I could not get the cameras on screen display up, I simply meant that I could not get the cameras menu up on the screen to adjust the settings. I was still getting a video feed from the camera just fine, I just could not bring up the OSD. I later found out that you simply call up preset #90 to get the OSD up, or maybe its #95. I cant remember at the time. Its somewhere between 90 thru 95, LOL.

Anyways, if you are not getting a video feed out of the camera then that is the first problem that you want to get taken care of first before you move on to try to control the camera. You actually do not even need PTZ controls to get a video feed. All you need to do is make sure that you have your 24 VAC power hooked up correctly and make sure that you have your BNC connection on correctly. Are you using 24 VAC power and do you have it hooked up right? Are you sure your BNC connection is crimped on properly? U just want to get a video feed before you move on.

I can't get any video display even after going through the default DVR setup menu

hi. this is a little differant problem to that of Seans. you should still be getting images on your dvr from the ptz with the control (data) used or not.

Hi Tomcctv,

No, the screen is completely blank, no video what so ever. On the DVR settings screen all inputs match that of the PTZ. Interestingly, I do have a variable focus camera running perfectly fine on another channel.

I have checked and rechecked settings, changed cabling and followed the setup guide in owners manual to the letter. What I do know is that it's getting power; I can see a red light come on inside the housing when power is applied.

Sean,

Yes, the camera and DVR both have PTZ connections, so I guess that rules out my hunch of needing a controller. I verified that the camera and my power supply are both 24V, are connected, and are working.

My first indication that it won't work is when I power the camera on. The camera itself is supposed to go through some sort of self checks, and will pan and tilt. I haven't seen that happen. Also the camera setup menu that is described in the owners manual never appears on the DVR. I'm completely stumped...and a bit frustrated.

If you know you have power to the camera and you are quite confident that you have your BNC connection crimped/twisted on correctly, then I am afraid to say that your camera may be defective. Where did you buy it from? Perhaps you can ask for a refund or exchange. Like Tom and I said before, you will need to get a video feed before you can move on to even think about controlling it. All you need is power running to the camera and a BNC connection just like you do the stationary camera that you already have it hooked up to get a video feed. To double check the BNC connection that you have, simply bring the other camera that you have hooked up that is working and test it on the power and video connection that you had the PTZ hooked up to. This will rule out any bad video or power connections if you get a picture with the regular camera.

If you deem your camera defective and are needing to get a replacement, keep us in mind, we have the CDC2500HX FastTrax 3 version which is a little faster and has more presets than your CDC2500H FastTrax 2 version. But you will really want to exhaust all troubleshooting methods before you attempt to return/replace it. More often than not, its just a small configuration issue that is causing the problem, but from what you have told me, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. One more question, how many amps or VA is your power supply putting out? It should say it right on the power supply.

I am just a little disappointed to see you didn't fix it to a corner mount which would increase your horizontal view to 270 degrees.

I do like to see the spot you placed next to the dome. All in all though a nice tidy install , Those branches could do with a trim, you'd be amazed what a little pruning will achieve. I spent a whole day this year pruning tree barnches from the public area in the alley (when nobody was around) and asked the care-home next to my house if I could trim some of their tree branches and they agreed I could do this whenever I needed to in the future provided I tell them I am in their grounds. Auto zoom zeros in on the branches very often and not on the target beyond then you have to manually re-zoom or move and re-focus.

Incidentally, the Fastrax PTZs are sold in Europe by Eneo using Fastrax as the range name, one of my favorite brands in high-end CCTV

but very expensive. I tried accessing their website but it's down at the moment. There you can acess the instruction manuals with all the keyboard access codes. Very useful to print out and have by your keyboard. After you have used the dome for a while you will decide on specific areas to monitor and will likely save those as presets. I have an official street-plan I got from the local library and have placed sticky orange labels at hot-spots and written the preset numbers on them for fast access when it counts. My PTZ only has 16 presets but I have found that more than enough for my purposes.

Your cam didn't display the zoom factor but from the video I am assuming it is about 36 optical zoom like mine. The picture is first class, just what I'd expect from that camera. Now you can run for Sheriff or at least be the neighborhood security guard.

I am just a little disappointed to see you didn't fix it to a corner mount which would increase your horizontal view to 270 degrees.

I agree, I need to, but I got it pretty close to the edge and sticks out enough where I almost get 270. I just cut down that weed this weekend. Believe it or not, that was a weed/tree that sprung up in one year.