lawrencelim2808

Any formula to calculate harddisk storage require for record

i want to design a geovision system using geovision 1.3mp ip camera, but i don't know how many hard disk capacity require if i want to keep 1 month recording video file. Is there any formula to calculate it?

There is, but it would be pretty complex to do on your own. You have to take into account the type of compression, level of compression, "compressability" of the image, framerate, amount of motion, whether or not you're recording constantly or on motion-detect, how good your motion masking is... and on and on.

If GV doesn't have a storage calculator on their site, many others do, including IQEye, 3xLogic, Arecont (I think), and probably most other MP camera manufacturers.

Or just get a terabyte drive and be done with it - that should be lots.

The IP cameras suck the life out of hard drives. on a one TB drive, one IP camera took 660 gigs and 9 other cameras got the rest.

I spent a lot of time recently getting rid of false motion detects. reflections on floors, other areas in background etc. I went from 4 days on a terrabyte to over 60 now and counting on 3 TB and I added 2 more cameras to boot. So those kind of factors are wild cards to look at.

There is a hard disk calculator in the 8.3 software as well.

i want to design a geovision system using geovision 1.3mp ip camera, but i don't know how many hard disk capacity require if i want to keep 1 month recording video file. Is there any formula to calculate it?

That all depends on what you're recording. Are you recording 24/7? Or are you only recording on movement? Are you only recording movement in a certain area? During a certain time of day. There are a lot of factors which determine how much space you need.

That said... 1TB is pretty cheap these days. I'd start with a 1Tb drive and if you find you need more, just buy another one. Should only set you back about 50 bucks.

FWIW, I just installed a system at a bar/bistro environment. 5 x 2MP cameras. I get 11 days with 1 TB. Only recording when movement is detected and the recycle limit set to 10%.