better_vetter

Speco HTINTB8 versus Nuvico CB-HDE21N-L

Hello CCTV pro's. I'm a newbie to this forum and I can't find this exact question/answer anywhere on the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am an owner's rep currently looking at two different security system providers. They both claim their cameras are better and I'm looking to get an opinion from an independent source. The cameras in question are the Speco HTINTB8 and the Nuvico CB-HDE21N-L.

Specs for both cameras below.

Thanks for your time.

Speco:

http://www.specotechnologies.com/cart/products/downloads/specs/HTINTB8910.pdf

Nuvico:

http://www.nuvico.com/downloadfile.htm?id=297

I personally dont like using IR LED cams for outdoor use so I would prefer the Speco for outdoor use and the nuvico for indoor.

Or use the Speco indoors also with IR illuminators.

I personally dont like using IR LED cams for outdoor use so I would prefer the Speco for outdoor use and the nuvico for indoor.

Or use the Speco indoors also with IR illuminators.

Thanks for the response. Would you mind telling me why you don't like using IR LED cameras outside? Is it a resolution issue?

From the specs, seems the speco uses DSS which slows down the video to achieve better sensitivity under low light, a feature I stay far away from. Ive used another nuvico true day night IR camera before and it was okay but ive used better ones for much less, eg. the CNB and even the Eclipse models. Speco are normally way overpriced as well, I used them for several years when I first started out, they had some good cameras back then. Basically they are both rebadged American brands imported from Asia, so you are paying extra for the name, possibly a longer warranty in the US.

If you have alot of light go with a Color only camera, and definately no DSS.

If you dont have much light go BW only on the cheap side, or a True Day Night, IR or not - more expensive then a simple Color IR camera. sometimes one needs the IR depending on the location, as do I at my residence for at least one camera, also indoors such as pitch dark rooms at night. Sometimes though the IR doesnt even do anything as the IR can be 50' max anyway (depending on the camera) and in large open areas it can make little to no difference. Also realize that IR cameras can attract bugs and spiders could eventually make their home all over the poor thing.

From the specs, seems the speco uses DSS which slows down the video to achieve better sensitivity under low light, a feature I stay far away from. Ive used another nuvico true day night IR camera before and it was okay but ive used better ones for much less, eg. the CNB and even the Eclipse models. Speco are normally way overpriced as well, I used them for several years when I first started out, they had some good cameras back then. Basically they are both rebadged American brands imported from Asia, so you are paying extra for the name, possibly a longer warranty in the US.

If you have alot of light go with a Color only camera, and definately no DSS.

If you dont have much light go BW only on the cheap side, or a True Day Night, IR or not - more expensive then a simple Color IR camera. sometimes one needs the IR depending on the location, as do I at my residence for at least one camera, also indoors such as pitch dark rooms at night. Sometimes though the IR doesnt even do anything as the IR can be 50' max anyway (depending on the camera) and in large open areas it can make little to no difference. Also realize that IR cameras can attract bugs and spiders could eventually make their home all over the poor thing.

Thanks. If I'm hearing you correctly, if given a choice of just one of the two models, you would choose the Nuvico? BTW, we are talking about fairly wide open spaces with low light.

Thanks. If I'm hearing you correctly, if given a choice of just one of the two models, you would choose the Nuvico? BTW, we are talking about fairly wide open spaces with low light.

Yes, maybe. Cant really say unless I used them both.

Here is a sample video from youtube though for the speco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tGifADbXFc

can find a sample video of the nuvico on a retailers site through google.

Yes, maybe. Cant really say unless I used them both.

Here is a sample video from youtube though for the speco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tGifADbXFc

can find a sample video of the nuvico on a retailers site through google.

The video you posted shows the Speco outperforming the IR camera by a long shot. I also found another video showing the Speco during day and night conditions.

I do see some grain in the night shots and some pixel issues during the day shots, but the quality seems pretty good overall. I can't find any video of the Nuvico, so I have nothing to compare to. Does the quality of the video in my post measure up to professional standards?

Yes sorry i posted the wrong video, I meant to post the one you posted.

Basically we dont know what type of camera they were comparing it against, could be any old cheap Color IR camera. Also, I dealt with Exview for years which was similar except they did not slow the shutter. One could argue what good is pixelized slow video just to get color, why not clear BW video and add light if needed, such as IR. Think about it like this, the image will be slow under low light, then it will be pixelized. Next we add it to a DVR then slow it down even more and then compress it making it even more pixelized. What real use is that video to us now in a real crime situation? Basically get the right camera for the job if it is that important, I have used IR cameras that would flood that yard in the sample video as if it were daylight, no slowing of the video, no pixelizing in general, ofcourse the price goes up, but that speco is hardly cheap anyway! It was also an ad done by speco.

Yes sorry i posted the wrong video, I meant to post the one you posted.

Basically we dont know what type of camera they were comparing it against, could be any old cheap Color IR camera. Also, I dealt with Exview for years which was similar except they did not slow the shutter. One could argue what good is pixelized slow video just to get color, why not clear BW video and add light if needed, such as IR. Think about it like this, the image will be slow under low light, then it will be pixelized. Next we add it to a DVR then slow it down even more and then compress it making it even more pixelized. What real use is that video to us now in a real crime situation? Basically get the right camera for the job if it is that important, I have used IR cameras that would flood that yard in the sample video as if it were daylight, no slowing of the video, no pixelizing in general, ofcourse the price goes up, but that speco is hardly cheap anyway!

Hmm. Thanks. So is there a camera you would otherwise suggest in the $550 range? Anyone else care to chime in also?

I have not played around with the nuvico but I have done an install with the speco htintb8. They are very rugged cameras. easy to set up with the intensifier however they do have ther downfalls. The first being the image lag. Even when the intensification is low moving images are almost unrecognizable. The second being the focus rings. Even Speco techs have stated they are very hard to fine focus. I did have to return several times (day/night/twilight) to refocus but now they get a good picture. I would lean towards something with sens up or true day night. However I am not 100% sur ethe differences between the first and second generation of the htintb8?

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, nor do I have experience with high end cameras.

That said, I've recently installed some Speco Intensifier (the 8, 9, and 10 models), and I like them a lot more than infrared. I think at the $300/camera price point, they may be tough to beat at night.

With no ambient lighting, nothing zero zilch nada, yes, you get Scooby Doo Ghosting of any movement, it's blurry, fuzzy, etc. Funny to see a rabbit leave a vapor trail across the back yard.

But if there's just a wee bit of ambient lighting - a streetlight, full moon - I really like the picture, it's far better than infrared cameras. Plus you're not fighting those stupid spiders that like to set up shop in front of an infrared cam. When your camera is mounted at the 30 ft mark, it's tough to clean spiders off the lens.

No affiliation with Speco, I just like those cameras - assuming there's some ambient light available.

But if there's just a wee bit of ambient lighting - a streetlight, full moon - I really like the picture, it's far better than infrared cameras. Plus you're not fighting those stupid spiders that like to set up shop in front of an infrared cam. When your camera is mounted at the 30 ft mark, it's tough to clean spiders off the lens.

Thats like Exview, Except Exview does not slow down the video.

Not all Infrared cameras have the spider problem, in fact I have 3 Infrared cameras here at my apt with no bug problem at all. Depends on location and the camera used, but I have installed hundreds without issues such as that. Note not all Infrared cameras are just Color IR Bullets or Domes. Also nobody will generally mount a camera 30' in the air btw. You still have to clean the camera, infrared or not.

That said once you are happy thats all that matters

I've taken out virtually all of the Intensifiers I've used... the slow-shutter-blur makes it impossible to see anything moving, and renders the video unwatchable/unusable except to say "yep... something was there."

Not a fan. You're far better off going with a dedicated B&W camera/imager, or a true day/night camera with some sort of infrared source.

Just my $.02

Thats it also, many are so quickly sold on it color in low light, they dont realize that a simple BW camera is all they might need in most cases, and typically clearer with less noise. I used Exview years gone by but the reality is the noise makes it next to useless for motion detection at night, and ID. In the clubs for example we mostly just use BW, although lots of light on the entrance with a full color cam for ID when they enter. For example a BW bullet camera can be 4 times less than one of these Speco Intensifier cameras. Im sure this Speco might be great in certain applications though, I havent used it myself, doubt I would though as I dont like the idea of slow video direct from the camera. BTW I still have some old speco BW IR bullets mounted at one client, been there for the last 9 years, they were cheap also and its a wonder they still work and give a good image!! Another thing to note is that lower resolution provides more sensitivity in low light, another reason I use the 420TVL BW bullets instead of the 600TVL ones.