londondecca

Baffled and a low budget

After reading a fair amount all I have achieved is to confuse myself.

Currently, my employer has leased a 2 camera system (including a night/day camera) which feeds into a video recorder. The VCR is placed in my bedroom and is both noisy in operation and very difficult to identify anyone, as the picture quality seems very low. Due to cutbacks my employer is sending the equipment back and therefore I will need to buy a system myself.

I guess my requirements are to record the front and rear of my house and ideally record the area where I park my car (some 60 feet from the house). I have a maximum budget of £500. I have discounted the PC route as my PC is a very old and only makes sense if I can buy a new PC and everything else for under £500.

The front of the house is partially lit by a streetlight some 80 feet distance from the house. With the current system, all I can see at night time is blurred splodges. The rear of the house is unlit at night but does catch the sun very well. Currently I only get good images on slightly overcast days as when the sun shines the image is basically a white screen.

I guess all of this rambling is my way of saying help. Any advice of retail recommendation would be gratefully received.

Steven

Cumbria

UK

Im still confused why your boss has access to your bedroom? Interesting.

I can't say that when I worked for someone else I ever let them in my house, let alone my bedroom..haha Sick thought really.

scottj

Im still confused why your boss has access to your bedroom? Interesting.

I can't say that when I worked for someone else I ever let them in my house, let alone my bedroom..haha Sick thought really.

scottj

LOL

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Anyway, if the cameras are for use outdoors, look for those that have an auto iris; that should take care of your "white screen" problem. If you want nighttime coverage, your best bet on that budget are B&W cameras. You can probably get a cheapie 4-channel DVR for around £300, so that leaves £100 for each camera, which should be sufficient.

There are other members here from the UK, so you might want to contact them for advice on suppliers. Also, check out some of the used B&W cameras on Ebay. There are a number of sellers in the UK.