filthyrons

1st post - advice wanted for home setup

Hello all, this is my first post, I'm looking for some help setting up a home CCTV system.

I would like to purchase a system that I can setup to record activity on my front drive and visitors to my front door. Over here in the UK we have a shop called Maplin that sell all-in-one kits, which look great but I need your help and advice on how to build up a kit of parts specifically tailored to my needs. This is the system I have found which looks quite good. However, I hope that after your help I'll be able to buy better component parts.

I would like a system that is not too complicated to setup.

I would prefer a system that only records with motion detection.

I would like to use cameras that can record at night.

I am looking to use 3 cameras; Two mounted high for a general view and one mounted above the front door to record visitors. Therefore I am happy to use different cameras best suited to their tasks.

The maximum range for these cameras needs to be 20 metres.

It would be ideal to view it through the web.

It would be a bonus if it could be viewed through an iPhone.

I have a budget of around £500.

I have attached a couple of images to make explaining easier.

Thanks in advance for your help.

house-cctv.jpg.092d7f7053708c00fafac85364a49f8e.jpg

photo-43.jpg.c1128acbd21b2e03b39c24c064d22201.jpg

Hi filthrons. first of all NEVER buy from maplins it is a very cheap system and you will have nothing but problems.

a good little system in the uk is the little but very good avermedia EB3004 net. full internet viewer by . smartphone/iphone/BB.

setting a maplins dvr up just to do the above it just cant do it.

Thanks for your replies guys. Don't worry about not knowing the UK market - if you can suggest good kit, I'll find a way of getting hold of it. Thanks, Ben

Hi filthrons. first of all NEVER buy from maplins it is a very cheap system and you will have nothing but problems.

a good little system in the uk is the little but very good avermedia EB3004 net. full internet viewer by . smartphone/iphone/BB.

Sorry Tom .. but I beg to differ .. I do not know Maplins as I m from Singapore .. But I have handled enough AVTech systems to say that the mentioned system is good enough for basic usage. It does fulfills all except the detects only on motion .. there's a way to configure that .. but I usually leave it as the default now since Hard Disk are so cheap. A 500GB HDD shld be enough to record for more than a mth given that he needs only 3 cameras.

AVTech systems work very well with iPhones with the EagleEyes iPhone Apps

Sorry Tom .. but I beg to differ .. I do not know Maplins as I m from Singapore .. But I have handled enough AVTech systems to say that the mentioned system is good enough for basic usage. It does fulfills all except the detects only on motion .. there's a way to configure that .. but I usually leave it as the default now since Hard Disk are so cheap. A 500GB HDD shld be enough to record for more than a mth given that he needs only 3 cameras.

i also use AVTech.............. the problem is. maplins are resellers of returned equipment. they also us adds to get people into there store. but everything is box sets ............ not a good way to buy.

i also use AVTech.............. the problem is. maplins are resellers of returned equipment. they also us adds to get people into there store. but everything is box sets ............ not a good way to buy.

OMG!!! Returned items?!?!

That is a definitely no-no!! I won't wanna jeopardizing any security with a returned product.

wat do mean by "box sets"??

OMG!!! Returned items?!?!

That is a definitely no-no!! I won't wanna jeopardizing any security with a returned product.

wat do mean by "box sets"??

referb dvr cheap cameras cheap power supply all in 1 box ............ never a good idea

What about the terrible image quality from Avtech over the network?

Ive used tons of DVRs including many cheap ones and this brand has the worse quality ive ever seen.

I have one myself actually, but I got it free, I would never pay for it, many others in the same price range with much better quality. And to Avtech, if you want to get good reviews then do something about your network video, you are years behind.