ian1989

CCTV System

Hi Guys,

new to this and no experiance in cctv installations.

Now i have an electrican to install a cctv system, but have been asked to buy the equipment myself.

I have seen the cameras i want they are 4x 100m night vision zoom only camaras, and a 15km/600m night vision ptz camera.

Im looking for a system where i can view the 4 static cameras on 1 split screen and the ptz camara on another screen.

All cameras need to be recorded.

What equipment do i need so that we can zoom in/out the 4 static cameras and control ptz camara.

I'm after a complete system from cameras, monitors, recorders to wires and power.

Does anyone have a plan or list of equipment i could use to work with, and also a guide on what the equipment is for.

No point in having a list of stuff and not knowing what any of its for. lol.

Thanks for any help

Ian

Hi Mate

Why not read through some of the excellent information on this forum and try and work out a solution yourself. You should get a better response if you want help with a specific element rather than someone to just design a system from the ground up for you.

Have a read and let us know if you have any specific questions.

Im still confused after a great deal of reading up information on here and the general internet.

i now know some of the basics of what i need but what i want to know is how to set up a system i want and what i need to achieve this.

Im looking to install 4 static zoom only cameras and 1 ptz camera, all saved on a DVR (d1 i believe is the better)

What i need to know, is can i use two screens one to have split over the four zoom cameras and one dedicated to the ptz.

Also i want a system where i can burn the video or part of the video to dvd.

Also would i be able to control all the cameras using the same controller as the ptz.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

So is this right

the cameras go to the dvr, the dvr then plugs into the controller which controls the zoom, and the ptz camera. and the monitors recieve their feed from the dvr.

But how does the split screen and stuff work.

this is where im confused, or have i got the whole system wrong.

So is this right

the cameras go to the dvr, the dvr then plugs into the controller which controls the zoom, and the ptz camera. and the monitors recieve their feed from the dvr.

The individual controller would be connected directly to the PTZ camera. Most dvr's have a ptz control block built in, you can use this. An individual controller is easier though and can control multiple cameras if it has this feature.

But how does the split screen and stuff work.

this is where im confused, or have i got the whole system wrong.

That depends on the dvr. You can add a bnc splitter to feed video to another monitor, but that would be for live viewing only.

Are you talking about showing all 5 cameras up on one screen? If so, your DVR does that. But you will most likely have to get an 8 camera DVR because they usually only make 4,8, or 16 channel DVR's. Somr DVR's have a Spot out that you could use specifically for the PTZ camera or use a splitter as the previous poster said.

Also, are you having an electrician install this because you want him to do the labor or because you think he may be knowledgeable? If its not knowledge, that is not always the best thing to hire him for. We have had a few customers who hired an electrician to install their system only to call me and say that the electrician told them that our equipment did not work or the electrician would call me directly and tell me that, come to find out, the electrician just didnt know what he was doing. If you want good work done, I would recommend hiring a CCTV installer. It may be a little more expensive but atleast they know what they will be doing and you can ensure the work is done properly.

This is for stand alone DVR ...

PC DVR would be different.

Either a DVR with a loop through on all channels or a spot output. If using loop through just run another video cable from the loop through output for the channel the PTZ is on, to the monitor of your choice - make that channel number 5. If spot then you can then assign the PTZ to the spot output. Then you just watch the DVR in quad view for the other 4 cameras on the main output.

For example:

I can't vouch for this DVR as I've not used it, but it has the specs.

Also you will need to make sure the DVR supports whatever protocol the PTZ uses if you want to control it with the DVR and not a separate controller, or over the network.

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1117

or another brand, with HDMI:

http://www.genivtechnology.com/products-one/Commercial-Class/G4-XLAHD

Also if you want to watch the PTZ on a VGA monitor and the other cameras also on a VGA monitor, make sure the DVR has at least 1 VGA output for the main video, then using as mentioned above the loop through or spot outputs, get a really decent (not cheap) VGA converter for composite to VGA - dont go cheap on this as the quality is typically bad on the cheap ones. Or get an LCD with a composite input, eg, AV/RCA.

For a PC based DVR just get one with a composite output which allows you to set the view in single way and set a specific camera for that view - OR a DVR with multiple monitor support then you can use multiple VGA monitors for example if using a Video card with dual monitor outputs, or 2 video cards. You would also need to verify what if any additional parts you will need for your PTZ to work with that DVR, again if wanting to control it with the DVR or over the network.

Thanks for the great replys guys, i've contacted a cctv installer for advice and a quotation, as im not sure what experiance the electrician has, i thaught it was all the same sort of stuff, but obviously not, there's a lot more to it.

Also i was looking this camera from 'wait for it..."CHINA"

does anyone know of these, or ever used them.

Also are these cameras in your opinion any good

http://www.iceccctv.com/product/details.asp?p_id=198

(this one's from china i believe.

& http://www.ukcctv.co.uk/nvc-u100a-night-vision-cctv-security-camera.aspx

which is from a uk company but i dont where the camera is made

what do you think of the cameras and the companies themselfs or can you recommend anything a bit better quality.