tds1

Help choosing a hybrid NVR

Yeah I meant with live video running on it though, so with Exacq that would be the client i guess.

Check the the Atom Zotac based boards they have much better on board video.

Rory I must disagree. I put the server in the IT closest with the rest of the servers/networking gear and the customer uses the computer on his/her desk that they already use, as the Exacq client. You don't need a dedicated client machine unless you your doing a video wall.

Well you have clients with IT closets so .. majority of CCTV clients in the world dont have that though, mostly just the rich people. Also I cant see someone sitting in the living room wanting to get up to goto the room where their computer is and turn the computer on and login to see the video when they hear a noise, while it could be right on the TV for example, or another monitor in their office or bedroom.

Well you have clients with IT closets so .. majority of CCTV clients in the world dont have that though, mostly just the rich people. Also I cant see someone sitting in the living room wanting to get up to goto the room where their computer is and turn the computer on to see the video when they hear a noise, while it could be right on the TV for example.

May be don't be against IP so much

open your mind, build reputation

and you will also get "clients with IT closets"

May be don't be against IP so much

open your mind, build reputation

and you will also get "clients with IT closets"

Thats such a ridiculous statement that its actually funny, thanks for the laugh.

majority of CCTV clients in the world dont have that though, mostly just the rich people.

Since Alex gave you a good laugh... it's only fair that you gave me one with this.

majority of CCTV clients in the world dont have that though, mostly just the rich people.

Since Alex gave you a good laugh... it's only fair that you gave me one with this.

yeah the rich people, you know, not the poor people

Also I have no idea who Alex is, but Im glad were all having a good laugh over this. IT closet in the average home, LOL, does that come with a panic room also?

Check the the Atom Zotac based boards they have much better on board video.

So back to my original question, before the late night comedy crowd entered, what did you find the CPU usage to be when using some of the MP cameras in live video on the Atom PCs?

Rory may be u missing something

IP Server only collect and record streams

it does not use CPU heavy

The "fun" begins when u want to

decode and playback

that when we use client

Im not missing anything, thanks. It was already clarified that I was talking about viewing live video on the server as we do with all other CCTV systems. As mentioned most clients dont want to have to turn on another computer at the location to view the live video.

Rory I must disagree. I put the server in the IT closest with the rest of the servers/networking gear and the customer uses the computer on his/her desk that they already use, as the Exacq client. You don't need a dedicated client machine unless you your doing a video wall.

As I mentioned, depends on if its residential or not. A knock at the door or a bump in the night... home owners want instant access to see.

I think you're describing a "set it and forget it" type system that is much more common in commercial enviornments.

But at the end of the day... customer gets what customer wants... with the right budget of course

As I mentioned, depends on if its residential or not. A knock at the door or a bump in the night... home owners want instant access to see.

I think you're describing a "set it and forget it" type system that is much more common in commercial enviornments.

But at the end of the day... customer gets what customer wants... with the right budget of course

Thats what im saying. Right now I have to run to my computer and open up the AvTech Video Server-E program and enter my password and login to view the video when I hear a noise .. because my other monitor went bad. Its a PITA and I wouldnt want a client to have to that unless thats really what they wanted. Sometimes before I can even login someone is banging at my door or staring in my window, I started to revert back to old school and just grab a weapon and run to the Window and look for now .. its quicker! But even that doesnt always work as someone stole my shoes (which were outside drying) one night out of site from the Window and time as I logged on to look at a camera in that area they had already walked away with them!

Thats what im saying. Right now I have to run to my computer and open up the AvTech Video Server-E program and enter my password and login to view the video when I hear a noise .. because my other monitor went bad. Its a PITA and I wouldnt want a client to have to that unless thats really what they wanted. Sometimes before I can even login someone is banging at my door or staring in my window, I started to revert back to old school and just grab a weapon and run to the Window and look for now .. its quicker! But even that doesnt always work as someone stole my shoes (which were outside drying) one night out of site from the Window and time as I logged on to look at a camera in that area they had already walked away with them!

rory your with friends.............. what size shoe do you take we will get some new ones to you some how.

mmmmmmm did you not have a problem a few months ago (the bearfoot robber) he might have them

i still think going hybrid and not full ip is the best way to go. still to many problems with full ip its just not realiable

My customer has to click one button on his remote to get video

HDMI output from Exacq Server going to HDMI input on his TV

That how He wants !

For a residential job I'm working on using Nuuo ip software to run 7 mp cams. Using vga out of server/client and Startech's VGA over utp adapters to distribute to 6 TVs in the house. Its always running, so no messing with logins or booting up computers in case of a late night shoe bandit.

My customer has to click one button on his remote to get video

HDMI output from Exacq Server going to HDMI input on his TV

That how He wants !

Thats awesome, and thats what I was talking about

Just to clarify:

A "server" is something we (usually) refer to in the CCTV industry as a service than runs, usually in the background, and it simply stores the video it's capturing and does not process any information to display (except for maybe simple mobile clients).

A "client" is what decodes the stored data and displays both live and archived footage. Hence the need for a beefy video memory and (especially if h.264 is used) processing power.

Some software like Avermedia or Nuuo run simultaneously. They are one program in the same, thus why they require beefier specs.

While thewireguys is the resident Exacq expert on the forum and can tell you from certain experience, I would suspect the Atom anything would not be recommended for anything other than a simple server.

If this is a residential job, I've found most home owners prefer having a constant video feed easily accessible. Firing up a laptop or desktop every time the doorbell rings is not ideal. Having a monitor within arms reach to easily turn on OR splitting the video (countless ways to do this) to the TVs is what most prefer.

If it's commercial without security guards or a second residence, then usually instant live viewing locally is not so important.

How much does that i7 cost per year to run?

Thanks, that's an excellent explanation. This is for my primary residence. I am not really too worried about needing a computer to view the video feed. Probably use the computer more than I use the TV.

As for that i7, it's designed as a gaming computer, so the electricity is well worth it! Besides, it isn't operating 24/7/365.

Thanks all. Lots of great comments and suggestions.

After thinking through the possibilities, it seems that the Avermedia EH5216 or the Exacqvision EL-S are the 2 simplest options for me. Don't like the 1.3 MP limitation on the EH5216. But on the flipside, the proprietary HD, higher cost and IP license fees of the Exacq isn't ideal either. So, I just need to decide which downside I can live with and go with it. I am sure either will ultimately work out OK.

So does Exacq have 2 versions of the software? A server version and client one? How difficult is it to setup the server version of their software?

Finally, do they charge for their software or just the IP camera license?

Thanks!

So does Exacq have 2 versions of the software? A server version and client one? How difficult is it to setup the server version of their software?

Finally, do they charge for their software or just the IP camera license?

Thanks!

Server u install as win service

Client will connect to Server ( or few of them )

plus they have Web Client

They charge for cam license only

So u buy as many as u need it

All components avail separately

Look at avers 6480 card. 16ch analog or ip mix and match how you please. No licenses to buy. Very do able in your budget.

Would that be the AverMedia NV6480E16 Card? According to their specs, it's only capable of recording analog at 160fps at D1 resolution (10fps per channel). That's not good at all.

Btw, what's the deal with their website? All the product images are missing.

According to their specs, it's only capable of recording analog at 160fps at D1 resolution (10fps per channel). That's not good at all.

Are you making home movies or trying to store high resoltion evidence for as long as possible? 99% of the time there is no need for anything more than that.

There's a lot more than spec sheets that go into my suggestions...

Look at avers 6480 card. 16ch analog or ip mix and match how you please. No licenses to buy. Very do able in your budget.

Would that be the AverMedia NV6480E16 Card? According to their specs, it's only capable of recording analog at 160fps at D1 resolution (10fps per channel). That's not good at all.

Btw, what's the deal with their website? All the product images are missing.

10 fps not good ............... do you understand fps ???

Yes, I understand fps. I said that 10fps is "not good" based on the fact that many systems are capable of recording D1 at 30fps per channel.

As for storing high resolution, that argument hardly applies in today's age of cheap TB hard drives. And why do you need to store the "high-resolution evidence" for as long as possible on the primary storage drive anyway? Most recordings are 99.99% uneventful and perishable. The events of interest occupy only a tiny fraction of recorded video, and of those events, only a fraction would be considered "evidence". Since any "evidence" would be copied/backed-up off the primary storage drive, I see no reason to limit the resolution and the frame rate of the recorded video.

Yes, I understand fps. I said that 10fps is "not good" based on the fact that many systems are capable of recording D1 at 30fps per channel.

As for storing high resolution, that argument hardly applies in today's age of cheap TB hard drives. And why do you need to store the "high-resolution evidence" for as long as possible on the primary storage drive anyway? Most recordings are 99.99% uneventful and perishable. The events of interest occupy only a tiny fraction of recorded video, and of those events, only a fraction would be considered "evidence". Since any "evidence" would be copied/backed-up off the primary storage drive, I see no reason to limit the resolution and the frame rate of the recorded video.

How many systems do you know of that will record D1 at 30FPS?

Just off the top of my head (since I've been researching/discussing these systems recently): NUUO 7000-series cards, the Gen IV (Intellicam) "Enterprise-class" DVR, the AVerDiGi SA9000ePRO, some of the GeoVision cards.

I'm sure others can name more.

Just off the top of my head (since I've been researching/discussing these systems recently): NUUO 7000-series cards, the Gen IV (Intellicam) "Enterprise-class" DVR, the AVerDiGi SA9000ePRO, some of the GeoVision cards.

I'm sure others can name more.

just a little lesson for you ............. most manufactures with list the best part of there spec sheet i.e D1 30fps it mean at these settings 30fps will be at its lowest settings like 30fps in cif.

and any of your customers will love between 8 and 15 fps ..... which is very good. and going back to your other post your budget is $1000 for an 8 way .......... you are at the limit of buying something at a low end spec .